R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "normals out" patchbay?  (Read 2349 times)

pipelineaudio

"normals out" patchbay?
« on: April 14, 2005, 07:59:21 AM »

How do you make a normals out patchbay? My bays dont have anything in the rear, I just wire them to an ELCO. For one like this do I throw two more elcos on it and normals out that way?

Brian Roth

Re: "normals out" patchbay?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 12:31:37 PM »

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

pipelineaudio

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 01:43:03 PM »

cool. On that page they say "everything out" brings even the normalling wires out to rear terminations points, how would I do that without a rear panel on the bay?

Brian Roth

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 04:04:52 PM »

Audio Accessories sells all sorts of variants, some with ADC "punch down" blocks on the rear of the assembly.  You might browse there some more for additional ideas.

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

Fig

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 03:14:17 PM »

Hi there,

Normalling takes place in the jack itself, regardless of how it is broken out to the back panel.

You must be using five-pin jacks (one each for tip(+), ring(-), and sleeve(ground) and then one for tip "normal" and ring "normal".  Ground can be strapped if phantom power is involved or some other grounding need.

Normals are utilized when no cables are plugged into the bay (usually top row output to bottom row input).  When you insert a plug, the jack mechanically switches from its "normal" connection to whatever you have decided to plug into the jack.  Its quite an amazing thing, really, but exactly the same as a switch.

So... if your bays have jacks that only have three pins, you can't really get "normals".  What jacks are in your bay?

Hope this helps,

Thom "Fig" Fiegle

The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

pipelineaudio

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 02:15:20 PM »

Sorry I should have made it clear, I have been building patchbays for almost half of my life now and understand well the process of normalling. What I dont understand is the practice I see some of the punchdown guys using where they call it " normals out". In this case the normalling wires from the jacks are brought out to another panel, where they can be switched easily from full normal, to half normal to no normal easily without trying to get inside an already wired patchbay's tiny little TT terminals and melting the wires around it ( the way I normally have to do it unfortunately). This way, the bay can be reconfigured without too many problems.

In my case, I have no rear panels, so I am trying to figure out a smart way to pull it off
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.