R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended Mic for recording Cello in a classical duo  (Read 6670 times)

sunflute

Recommended Mic for recording Cello in a classical duo
« on: April 11, 2005, 02:26:03 PM »

Hello,

I would appreciate any input on a good mic for recording the cello in a Duo formation (classical flute & cello)

The flute will be recorded with an AEA r84 and a stereo pair of SDC Omnis for room sound (Peluso CEMC6s).

Thank you very much,

Sunflute

Somebody recommended the KM185 hypercardiod and another person the Beyer m160. Any other suggestions or comments?

PP

Re: Recommended Mic for recording Cello in a classical duo
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 03:16:10 PM »

M149

Or

U67

The U67 has an extra pleasing warmth, ideal for cello's in an Omni position.

Make the bleed and ambience work positvely for you.....

Forget hyper-cardiods.......

P

Barry Hufker

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 03:35:57 PM »

I think any nice cardioid or omni condenser would do.  Something that has a reasonably flat response that wouldn't get too 'tubby' if you got close.  I don't think there is a 'magic bullet.'  Use what sounds good using the mikes you own.  I would bet the ribbon would sound nice as well on the cello.

Barry

wwittman

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 04:02:35 PM »

My first choice would probably be a GOOD (assuming you have access to a good one) U-47 or M-49.

But, that would also be my choice for the flute!

So given you're using the ribbon on the flute, I'm very big on consistency and how sounds work together...
So the first thing I would do if handed say your flute track to overdub cello on, is try another ribbon.
Probably another R84, or a 4038.

I hear ribbons and condensers as sitting in very different "planes" of the auditory spectrum... and i wouldn't want the impression to be anything other than the two instruments sitting next to each other in the SAME plane on the final record.
so...
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 09:33:09 PM »

wwittman wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 13:02

My first choice would probably be a GOOD (assuming you have access to a good one) U-47 or M-49.

Uncanny... our ears should meet some time!

Before even opening up the thread, it had M49 written all over it.

I used to be a proud owner of a very well tuned and optimized MR70 Ampex four track machine (Tim De Paravicini head stacks, each channel aligned to within 1/4 db of the next)).
My ultimate phantasy was to record a chamber ensemble, situated in a semi-circle, with four M49 mics, each fed into its own channel of the MR70, and then blended minimally on mixdown, so the pan position of each instrument in the semi-circle would be retained in the stereo spread.

I sold the beast and its spare parts sibling due to space and occupational priorites before the experiment ever materialized.

P.S.: If you use another M49 on flute as well, the mix-and-match issue (ribbon/condenser) goes away.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Mike Mermagen

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 11:08:18 PM »

The answer to your question depends on a lot of things. The first question is: what do you or the cellist want to sound like? Do you want to capture your tone with realism and flattery in the space your in, or are you trying for something else?

This will greatly affect your choice of mics. If you are planning to record some flute and cello duos in a classical style and you like the way you sound, then you should try finding a wonderful concert space and choosing a pair of omnidirectional mics such as DPA, Schoeps, Sennheiser or Neumann. See if you can get the sound you want with careful placement of your stereo pair. Again, it depends on what kind of sound you are trying to achieve.

If you like close miking techniques and those results, then the venerable Neumann tube mics get impressive sound. Either way, you may wish to look into renting some high end microphones.

Mike

Yannick Willox

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 02:11:42 AM »

If it's classical duo and not a 'classic' duo, I would get a good stereo mic, if you're recording in a good hall.

The point of paying 25K-80K for a good cello and 10-25K for a good bow always eludes me, if you will put a mic that will 'enhance' the sound.

If you want to have a mic up close, I would go for a Royer SF1 - it's the only mic I have heard thus far that captures the bow/string/finger noises in a natural way.
Yannick Willox
Acoustic Recording Service

sunflute

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 02:43:25 AM »

Thank you all for your very enlightening suggestions.

Peace
sunflute

jnorman

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 09:00:28 AM »

on the last CD i did for RoseWynde, i had to do a few minutes of flute and cello together.  i tried a DPA 4006, a DPA 4011, and an AKG C480/ck61.  i wound up using the 4011 on the flute, and the C481 on the cello, with a pair of DPA 4061s out in the room.  sounded very realistic.  i do not tend to choose LD mics for acoustic work like this, but then i do not have a vintage U47 handy...
jnorman
sunridge studios
salem, oregon

bananahill

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 09:02:33 PM »

A Royer SF 12 is beautiful on a solo cello.
The combination of this with the 84 and the spaced omnis should make for a wonderful recording, just enough bleed to be ambient and alive.
I used the SF 12 into an Aphex 1100 and Pendulum ES-8 for solo cello in a medium sized orchestra.  I was very pleassed with the results.
Stephen Krause

m ackermoore

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 02:29:13 PM »

Yes, if you have access to an M49 in good shape, that's hard to beat. Otherwise, the M 149 gets very good results too.

m

m ackermoore
CreatioNation VibrationStation www.creationation.org
Art, activism, & altruism www.earthville.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 19 queries.