R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Famous Fifteen Minute Deaf Mix Story  (Read 47138 times)

McAllister

Re: The Famous Fifteen Minute Deaf Mix Story
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2005, 03:02:17 PM »

Wow. I am always floored by people who have strong opinions of movies they've never seen, food they've never tried, or (in this case) music they've never heard.

I do not care about uninformed opinions.

Thankfully, they're pretty rare in this forum.

Thanks again, Terry. For everything.

M
Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.

Greg Dixon

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2005, 02:48:35 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 06:51

Greg Dixon wrote on Mon, 14 March 2005 19:47

rolyboy wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 02:55

I bet you could even drive a car blindfolded ??!!  

No, he needs to see the meters, but I assume he can fly on instruments, in zero visability.

Indeed.  And if this were not a music forum, I would tell the horrible story of my worst day as an instrument pilot.  I'll look for a flying forum for that...

Hey Terry,
You did get one flying story in. Smile

compasspnt

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2005, 08:04:42 PM »

jwhynot wrote on Mon, 14 March 2005 23:26

I also heard a story that when Clearmountain was mixing the Boss Bruce would banish Bob from the CR for a minute near the end of the mix and just give the faders a shove here and there...

And I'll bet that Bob put them all right back when he returned!

New Orleans Steve

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2005, 10:36:08 AM »

So Terry,
  What IS your rate for a 1/4 hour?
   As if things in out industry were not bad enough!

Steve
Straightwire Studios New Orleans is now Straightwire Studios Tampa
Is now back in New Orleans!

Check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

Bill Mueller

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2005, 09:52:50 PM »

This is not on the order of Terry's mix, (Terry, can you tell us what that sweet keyboard is?) but I have been doing concert broadcast mixing for years and when you have 10 minutes between multiple acts that you have never heard before, life gets interesting. Many live gigs involve ten hours and eleven acts and a live mix going out to a satelite dish.

So after years of practice, and on an SSL, I can look at the input tape, set my preamps, short faders (always 0VU), assignments, large faders, basic eq and three or four reverbs, choruses and the like and then within eight bars of the top of first song have a decent mix. I have seen other mixers come in and mess with the drums for the first song and the guitars for the second and sort of get the mix on the third.

I have always tried to teach my students to get their mix quickly and not spend too much time listening to individual tracks. You can spend hours getting the drums sounding just so and then bring in the instruments and the drums sound terrible.

Very nice Mr Manning.

Best Regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

Bill Mueller

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2005, 10:12:11 PM »

Brandon,

You have 223 messages on these forums so you are not a novice. However, this appears to be your first message on Terry's forum. I would point out to you that this forum has been characterized by a level of respect and decorum that is exceptional by internet standards. This is because Terry is above all a gentleman and by example has set a high standard for behavior. Even his response to your short outburst was gentlemanly.

I would also request that you read many of the postings here. You will not only find a garden of usable advice, but you may also acquire a feel for the way nearly all of the respondents here converse in a truly friendly and supportive way.

Best Regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.