R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is your favorite new artist? Mine is Alan Haynes of Austin.  (Read 5870 times)

Bill Mueller

I was in Austin this last week and attended lots of listening sessions (at local bars) trying to find the next great musicians. I found no one associated with SXSW who impressed me, however I did find the finest electric guitarist I have ever heard in my life! His name is Alan Haynes and he is from Texas. He was playing blues but I hesitate to name him a blues guitarist. The guy is a true genius, with a grasp of melody, harmony and chord structure that is astounding. He also sings like an angel. I have not heard someone of that caliber since Michael Hedges. His web site is:

http://www.alan-haynes.de

Go there and buy his records.

Best Regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

compasspnt

Re: Who is your favorite new artist? Mine is Alan Haynes of Austin.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 06:34:26 PM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 14:41

I was in Austin this last week and attended lots of listening sessions (at local bars) trying to find the next great musicians. I found no one associated with SXSW who impressed me, however I did find the finest electric guitarist I have ever heard in my life! His name is Alan Haynes and he is from Texas. He was playing blues but I hesitate to name him a blues guitarist. The guy is a true genius, with a grasp of melody, harmony and chord structure that is astounding. He also sings like an angel. I have not heard someone of that caliber since Michael Hedges. His web site is:

http://www.alan-haynes.de

Go there and buy his records.

Best Regards,

Bill

Very interesting that you found this, Bill.

Alan plays either with the guys from Stevie Ray's former band, or with Jim Suhler and Monkey Beat, also from Texas.  Jim is the OTHER greatest guitarist in the world today.  And he just happens to be on my own little label, Lucky Seven Records.  What a lucky chance to promote something, and I didn't even bring it up myself!  Ha ha ha.  We recently released his first "Best Of" CD, STARVATION BOX.

Really, these guys are totally amazing players.  But there is much less demand for great players these days, so they semi-struggle....

http://www.luckysevenrecords.com/CDStore.htm

jwhynot

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 06:52:38 PM »

compasspnt hath inscribed:

Really, these guys are totally amazing players.  But there is much less demand for great players these days, so they semi-struggle....

http://www.luckysevenrecords.com/CDStore.htm

They certainly are great and they've got company too - there are many, many great musicians out there.

My hope is they hang in there as long as they can, because I actually think the world is getting ready to support great music.

The biz is doing the one thing it has always done:  changing radically.

Thanks for the links
JW
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

Bill Mueller

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 07:31:59 PM »

Thanks Terry,

I'll check out Jim's stuff as well. Congratulations on having him on your own label. Very cool.

It's a bit disheartening that these guys are playing in bars though. Twenty years ago and they would have been playing stadiums.

I would love to do something for Alan. I know that he has cut lots of CD's but his last is a live one from two years or more ago. I would give this guy a week in my studio for no charge just to listen to him play.

Best Regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

cgc

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 08:11:03 PM »

I think Alan has done some playing and touring with Mark May, whose first album I helped out a bit on.  It's been a while since I was in a rickety little studio in Houston doing blues sessions with the likes of those guys and Joe 'Guitar' Hughes.  A lot of those guys worked in little music shops and odd jobs and would tour Europe for a month or two where they were much better received.  A hard working, never say die group as I have ever seen.

Curve Dominant

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 12:13:43 AM »

Just checked out Alan's music on his website - rockin' stuff yo!

My favorite new artist is John Legend. And NOT because he's from Philly - I didn't even KNOW he was from Philly until after I bought his debut CD "Get Lifted" and listened to it, like, 20 times in the first 3 days I had it. Kanye West produced it, and it features the single "Ordinary People" that consists of one vocal track accompanied by one piano track - no overdubs! Amazing song and a fantastic CD all the way through.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 19 queries.