R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: $2,500 Vocal Mic  (Read 9057 times)

wwittman

Re: $2,500 Vocal Mic
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 10:14:35 PM »

I also am a big fan of the Gefells.

The UM92 is defintiely in your price range and the UM900 (which is an INCREDIBLE mic) might be if you find someone with aggressive pricing.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

DAWgEAR

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2005, 06:33:41 PM »

Doublehelix,
Evidently you preferred the U87, but can you offer your thoughts on how it compared to the Kiwi? TIA.

James Duncan

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2005, 08:54:52 AM »

I actually ended up buying the U87 yesterday, and I am pretty happy with my decision, but obviously need some time to really put it through its paces over the next month or two.

My thought process was that this is a mic I should have in the mic cabinet, and then I can add more flavors later.

@DAWgEAR: As it turned out, I was unable to A/B the U87 vs. the Kiwi...When I showed up for my mic shootout, they no longer had one in stock (I can't believe they sold it when they knew I wanted to check it out!!! Hehe... Wink ). I would have really loved to have compared it.

As I said earlier, I am really limited in my ability to audition mics here in Indy. Another reason I decided to go with the U87... versatile, solid performer, even if it is not the most esoteric.

The U87 sounded very full and lush, and was something that sounded great to my ears the instant we plugged it in.

I think at this price point, a lot of the decision is down to personal choice, and without the option to audition all of the candidates, the U87 was the "safe" choice.
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

hargerst

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2005, 10:54:45 AM »

Doublehelix wrote on Sun, 27 March 2005 07:54

I actually ended up buying the U87 yesterday, and I am pretty happy with my decision, but obviously need some time to really put it through its paces over the next month or two.

First, it's a safe choice that will bring in business, and second, it will hold its value for a long time.  I think you made the best possible decision.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

James Duncan

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2005, 07:07:50 AM »

hargerst wrote on Sun, 27 March 2005 10:54

Doublehelix wrote on Sun, 27 March 2005 07:54

First, it's a safe choice that will bring in business, and second, it will hold its value for a long time.  I think you made the best possible decision.

Thanks for that Harvey, I am sure that in another year or two, I'll be Jones'ing for something else to add to the arsenal. Smile
James Duncan

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte

brandondrury

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2005, 11:43:06 PM »

The resell value thing is an often overlooked aspect of any music gear when price is an issue (when is it not?).  It's easy to sell a big name on Ebay and get prime dollar for it.

Take a look at API.  Search for it on Ebay.  You will find that 80% of the items are not API items at all, but some other brand trying to get a little API traffic for that name.  At least with Neumann, or Marshall (guitar amps) your search results will actually be mostly the brand you actually looking for.

Of course, on the other hand, you may be able to snag a used Soundelux, Gefell, etc mega cheaply just because the name isn't all that big.

Brandon

jburn34

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2005, 10:56:51 PM »

I've got a U87 (an older one) but I have a Lawson L47MP that I end up using a good bit more.  It has enough of the "tube" smoothness but still retains its clarity...especially through something like an Avalon.  I think Gene has a 10 return policy...you should try it out.

Never mind...I just noticed that you got an 87... Razz
Jeremy

JB Sound - Recording Gear, Tips, and Reviews

Namesake Recording - Mobile, Live, & Studio Recording

RickRhino

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 01:21:14 PM »

I was in the same situaton as doublehelix,
I loved the Manley Reference tube mic
but to attract new clints and to have more versitile mic
I went with the U87Ai
I also was getting work from other studios
which were using U87 as their main vocal mic
so over dubbing was not to bad to match
Til this day I really want that Manley mic
best mic for vocals to my ears

mis dos centavos

Rick Rhino
engineer/producer
Chicago,IL
rickrhino@sbcglobal.net

K-MO

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2005, 11:25:29 PM »

Just thought I would ask - have you considered any used mics? I own several mics and my go to is always a C12 VR.

I own a new one and a used one both are fantastic on everything from vocals to drums.

I haven't used the same mic pre as you but I have used many pres: Voxbox, Vintech 1073 , all Avalon 2022 - M5 - 737 and even the standard Focusrite pre's found on the CNTRL 24.

I bought the used one for 2300USD so it's in your range.

Perhaps someone else has some experience with it too, or a local dealer  (that's not the best way to test a mic)

Maybe you can rent one for a day and use it in your room with your gear.

Hope this helps a little.

Kenny   www.nuvintage.biz
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 19 queries.