R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Endurance...  (Read 3486 times)

Tim Halligan

Endurance...
« on: February 23, 2005, 06:01:08 AM »

Terry,
When doing long projects like Shakira/Lenny etc, how do you keep your ears and creativity fresh?
Do you ever get cabin fever, or do you adopt a kind of siege mentality - head down, bum up, let's get this sucker finished...
Do you, or have you ever "lost it" mid stream?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

compasspnt

Re: Endurance...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 06:32:40 PM »

Tim Halligan wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 06:01

Terry,
When doing long projects like Shakira/Lenny etc, how do you keep your ears and creativity fresh?
Do you ever get cabin fever, or do you adopt a kind of siege mentality - head down, bum up, let's get this sucker finished...
Do you, or have you ever "lost it" mid stream?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the question.

I hesitate to talk too much about personal regimen, lest it be tiresome., but...

First, yes, a siege mentality is indeed called for at times.  I always try very hard to keep "the big picture" in mind, no matter how minute a detail is being worked upon.  When you get on a project for months, even years, this is vital.

I admire greatly my friend Mutt Lange, whom I consider to be the very best at "ultimate concentration" that I have ever seen or worked with.  And I don't mean that everyone has to love all of the music he does...I just mean in this sense that he is the zenith of recording and production perspicacity.  Mutt will always be the first one to arrive at the studio, and the last one to leave.  You rarely see him stopping to eat, or taking breaks, or smoking in the lounge, or any of that.  The man is a worker; I try to work this hard, but I am unable to rise to his level.  (And yes, I know some consider his production methods to be "anal," but there can be no argument with his success rate.)

Some of the things I do to keep energy and concentration high (again, forgive me for talking about any personal habits) are to never drink alcohol, never take any drugs, eat a highly regimented diet, drink lots of water, exercise almost every day, and do my best to keep a positive, cheery mental attitude.  (I know, sounds boring; or like what your mom told you to do.)

Still, there are many times when, as you say, one is about to "lose it" midstream.  At those times, I find you just have to reach down inside and pull something out.  You only have to make it to the end of that day, and the next day will start fresh.

Not much insight here, I fear; I'm sure everyone has pretty much the same basic attitude!  Otherwise, not many records would get made.

Thanks!  And hello to WA!

Terry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 16 queries.