Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ua 176  (Read 4607 times)

fishfry

ua 176
« on: February 22, 2005, 02:51:05 AM »

hey,  Terry

I'm a longtime admirer of your work and longtime lurker of this forum.  What a pleasant suprise when I checked in to see if anything was happening over here!

I noticed in many of your posts that you mention the 176 tube limiter. I've used the 176  a few times and was always impressed with it on vocals ( seems like a faster release would be nice, though)  and used one a few months ago in a mix on bass (2:1 slooooow release). More than anything, though, I just always loved the amazing tone that comes out of it.
I was wondering if you'd be so kind as to expound further on your knowledge of and experiences with the unit.  Any tips on it's applications, etc?  For instance, I read in an earlier post that you used it for the Big Star acoustics. How much gain reduction was going on there? It's probably my favorite acou gtr sound of all time yet I've never really been able to wrap my head around the idea of  squashing acou gtrs--it never sounds "right" to me  so 9 times out of 10 I'll remove the comp from the chain.

Is this the compressor you used to get the amazing walls of gtr sounds on the BS records?

Something I've noticed and was curious as to if you've had the same experience, is how the time constants behave  totally differently with different ratios. I find that  the 2:1 setting most versatile and does the trick on about anything.

excellent, invaluable stories and lessons from one of recording's best.

thanks, Terry.

RMoore

Re: ua 176
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 03:10:31 AM »

I would second that emotion - I have a UA-175 limiter & that thing rocks..
Isn't the 176 basically the same but with adjustable ratio settings on the front panel (?)..like you say: tone machine..I guess in part from those UTC xformers.

The unit's big knob was immortalized on a record sleeve.

See if anyone can spot the Spinal Tap reference!
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.