R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Half time  (Read 5626 times)

Oliver Archut

Half time
« on: January 19, 2005, 12:32:01 AM »

Dear All

January is nearly over (at least this is what my Boss always used to say around the 15th) and doing this guest spot here is quite interesting. For my taste still a bit focused on the V/U series, but hey that is O.K.

When Fletcher asked me what this guest forum should be listed at, I though about a phrase which describes it best and "Vintage design in a new Style" came to my mind. Somehow pointing out, that even 40 years after the end of the "Golden Age of Audio", relatively simple analog designs still sound better than most new developments.

Like pointed out in other REP forums, the age of the analog tape age is slowly coming to an end, at the same time more new audio standards are introduces, that promise convenient listing nearly everywhere, no movable parts, just down load it right from you computer and go and have fun.

Anybody cares how to get a good dynamic range, or even a got THD out of one or maybe two double A batteries?  

Even with the slowly rise over the last few years that more and more people search for better sound, or maybe just keeping up the good sound standard of the 1950 to 1970, the decline of general audio is moving fast.

Sure there is the part of convenience, but sorry folks, the sound quality sucks.
It seems like that "quality in every aspect of life" is getting on the list of endangered species, while quantity, in every way to make more profit, will take over the entire world.....

Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

JGreenslade

Re: sticky: Half time
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 02:27:12 PM »

It would be nice if I could disagree with your sentiments Oliver...

Having said that, I would like to think that "rock bottom" probably occurred a year or two ago. IMHO, most studio owners / musicians comprehend the fact that purchasing "bespoke" equipment, or utilising mediums such as analogue tape, is difficult to justify with the industry in its current shape, and these "esoteric" pieces of equipment are now used by musicians and engineers more for the sake of their personal integrity, rather than the distribution model presented by ITunes or Napster requiring the performance offered by such units.

If the above scenario is correct, then I don’t see the "bespoke" equipment industry going anywhere yet. Select individuals will continue to take pride in their sound whether Joe Schmoe appreciates it or not.

Quote:

Anybody cares how to get a good dynamic range, or even a got THD out of one or maybe two double A batteries?

I know one method to make them provide a satisfying "crack" with plenty of dynamic range – put them in a microwave oven for a few minutes. (I’ll get my coat...)

Justin
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

Oliver Archut

Re: sticky: Half time
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 12:50:29 AM »

Hello Justin,

I do not see it to hopeless, the commercial draw getting stuff for lower than what it is worth it, is as old as humanity. In the long run yo pay more for saving a few buck in the moment.
Currently the entire music industry is in this eddy current and it is hard to see what will come out of it.

There are no shortcuts in life and if you ever worked with good tools in general, you know the difference. It applies to all walks of life, foot, entertainment, etc.

Sure there is a lot of hype and marketing going on, but even if you take the status symbolism and the penis extension problem (I have 20 U47s, etc), there is still a very solid core of good audio out there.

The biggest problem is that hardly none still puts pride into their work....

Best regards,

Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.