R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: neumann TEVa gain path  (Read 7574 times)

maxdimario

neumann TEVa gain path
« on: January 12, 2005, 02:42:48 PM »

Hi,

I have a neumann TEVa/60 eq that has an independent passive eq, a buffer with one transistor acting as a follower and a 30-40? dB preamp made of three transistors.

I was wondering what the signal path was in the neumann consoles: would the passive eq be first then the buffer, then an asymmetrical fader (of what impedance?) and then the gain stage?
Or perhaps first the gain stage then the eq then the buffer?

I have no data except for schematics.

Oliver Archut

Re: neumann TEVa gain path
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 12:10:15 AM »

I never got much into the Neumann transistor consoles, they are a pain in the butt, and compared to the Telefunken/TAB 300/600 series and the Siemens 200 series, not as good sounding...
Some single modules sound O.K, but quality is quite questionable from a rebuilding point of view.
There were no two consoles alike, all custom made with different signal path structures, impedance etc. The faders they used were nearly as bad than P&G ones... If you find a console with the symmetric active Danner faders it is an entire different story...
Right at the end Neumann made the black op amp series build around their VCA chip and modules like the 476/473 and the EQs are very nice to have, but quite hard to keep up and running....

Best regards,

Oliver

Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

Gold

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 06:47:30 PM »

I have a Neumann MT66 vinyl transfer console. It's very similar to an SP66 which was a standard model number. It has an integrated tape machine. The basic signal path is: Tape out/PV26 line amp/(Line In)PEV EQ/RR66 attenuators/EE66 Eliptical Equalizer/HT66 passive LPF HPF/PV46 Line Amp/MR90 Fader/PV26 post fader gain Line Amp. There are three relay activated inserts and a spark supressor card. There is a PPM light beam meter and buffered VU meters. There is a passive monitor pot. There is the ability to make the signal path and/or monitor mono. There is also L/R swap.  

I have some info on a 24x8x2 Neumann console from about 1969. I'll try to scan the block diagram soon.
Paul Gold
www.saltmastering.com

On the silk road, looking for uranium.

maxdimario

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 06:22:50 AM »

Gold wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 00:47

I

I have some info on a 24x8x2 Neumann console from about 1969. I'll try to scan the block diagram soon.

Great! that would be very interesting.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 18 queries.