R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: v76 DI?  (Read 4933 times)

neve1073

v76 DI?
« on: January 11, 2005, 03:01:24 AM »

Hi.

What's the best way to rig a v72 or a v76 for DI? Also, I know and love how they sound as mic pres, but how do they sound when setup for direct input?

Forgive me if this has already been asked. I just joined the forum tonight.

Thanks
=============================
Let's be discrete.

Level

Re: v76 DI?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 10:30:27 AM »

I would just go outboard. Their are a lot of DI's out there that are really nice, without having to open your box or fire up an iron. That would be my choice actually.

If Oliver has an "easy way" I am all ears.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

mova

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 02:05:51 PM »

In my experience, the best way to do this with no down side is purchase a V71 from
http://store.yahoo.com/mercenary-audio/tadiprv7.html

Level

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 02:26:14 PM »

Looks like the ticket, no doubt.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Oliver Archut

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 06:57:44 PM »

There is no easy way to modify the V76 that works without compromising sound and specs.

I know several so called professional racks offer a simple DI input, that is more for marketing, it passes signal but not to studio specs.

Without going into technical details, in order to utilize the circuit for DI input, the entire front end needs to be changed, due to some minor problems of in-state feedback as RADD47 pointed out in a different post.
In the new V72 and V76 that features a DI jack, the inputstage gets switched, x-former, grid leak, feedback loop, etc. via a DPDT switch and an additional relay for the feedback loop. All signal (grid) wire runs are less than 2 inches...

In order to keep the amazing S/N ratio all wire runs need to be as short as possible, so you need to drill the face plate, otherwise you end up with approx. 12 inch of wire that sucks the high end and acts like an antenna loading down the signal with RF; you can not hear it directly but the sound gets mushy.

If you have a V76 or V72 with a burned out input, you can make a great designated DI box from it.....

Best regards,

Oliver

Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 20 queries.