R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bernie G's modified DB's  (Read 10840 times)

ammitsboel

Bernie G's modified DB's
« on: January 08, 2005, 04:08:37 PM »

As I've read somewhere in an article, Bernie Grundman uses modified DB Technology(Lavry Engineering) converters.
The only thing that differs from the original is that Bernies has a bigger PSU.

Dan, do you have a technical explanation why a bigger PSU in a converter makes for a better unit? And why didn't the original have this?

I know they are a little crazy(in a mediocre way Smile ) over at Bernies facility... but maybe they are right about this converter modification?

Best Regards,
Henrik
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

danlavry

Re: Bernie G's modified DB's
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 05:08:50 PM »

ammitsboel wrote on Sat, 08 January 2005 21:08

As I've read somewhere in an article, Bernie Grundman uses modified DB Technology(Lavry Engineering) converters.
The only thing that differs from the original is that Bernies has a bigger PSU.

Dan, do you have a technical explanation why a bigger PSU in a converter makes for a better unit? And why didn't the original have this?

I know they are a little crazy(in a mediocre way Smile ) over at Bernies facility... but maybe they are right about this converter modification?

Best Regards,
Henrik

I am not sure why. It certainly helps keeping the units cool and the MKII gold AD's ran very hot. The new MKIII runs pretty cool. The DA924 Lavry gold runs cooler and they still did the same "modifications" - pulling the power supplies out of the units and feeding it with external DC source.
  I do not know them to be "crazy". Beno May, the tech guy is one of the best studio techs I know. They have some real great ears as well, and they are all really nice people.

Regards
Dan Lavry

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 06:10:04 PM »

Using a single or frequently parallel very high quality, high current "overkill" DC power supplies used to be pretty common in studios. Among other things it gives you total control over all of the system grounding. Having a shop in-house makes a lot of such things practical.

ammitsboel

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 09:13:54 AM »

danlavry wrote on Sat, 08 January 2005 22:08

I do not know them to be "crazy". Beno May, the tech guy is one of the best studio techs I know. They have some real great ears as well, and they are all really nice people.

I meant it ironically Smile
I'm sure that they are nice people and I would also like to meet them some time.

Best Regards

ammitsboel

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 09:25:37 PM »

In the article Bernie claimed that the converters performed sonically better after this modification(as i recall it).
But there is no technical explanation of this? other than it's always good to have a large "overkill" PSU?

Best Regards

Level

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 09:57:58 PM »

Quote:

But there is no technical explanation of this? other than it's always good to have a large "overkill" PSU?

Properly regulated and fused, with good input supply, it can never hurt.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Chris Arvan

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 09:55:52 AM »

I heard they kept blowing the power supplies for some reason, so they just got "bigger" power supplies...the converters do perform sonically better when you can turn them on so....

ammitsboel

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 10:59:06 AM »

Chris Arvan wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 14:55

I heard they kept blowing the power supplies for some reason, so they just got "bigger" power supplies...the converters do perform sonically better when you can turn them on so....

He he... so that's it  Laughing

danlavry

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 02:23:37 PM »

You are dead wrong! They did not blow power supplies.

Regards
Dan Lavry

ammitsboel

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 02:53:41 PM »

danlavry wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 19:23

You are dead wrong! They did not blow power supplies.

Regards
Dan Lavry

...Well that remark sounded too bad to be true! Razz
Dan, have you heard the modified converters? did they perform better in any way? did Bernie report anything about this to you?

Best Regards  

Chris Arvan

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 03:46:00 PM »

I apologize Dan, my comment was not meant to be in any way derogatory...I love your converters...I wouldn't use anything else...

what other  reasons are there to switch a bigger power supply? ...I'm just curious if I stand corrected.

bblackwood

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 04:00:32 PM »

Outboard PSU's are not uncommon in the mastering room - separating the PSU from the signal allows for cooler operating gear and less chance of interference from the PS.

I have several pieces running on outboard now and when you do it, you always build them bigger than necessary. Costs little and more (power) headroom never hurts...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

ammitsboel

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 08:11:38 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 21:00

Outboard PSU's are not uncommon in the mastering room - separating the PSU from the signal allows for cooler operating gear and less chance of interference from the PS.

I have several pieces running on outboard now and when you do it, you always build them bigger than necessary. Costs little and more (power) headroom never hurts...

I remember the time where i had a separate PSU for my computer!... Confused

George Massenburg

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 07:05:45 AM »

It's kind of amazing to me to hear about outboard power supplies, and how they're pereived as "better".  For some 30-odd years I've build a line of gear with outboard power supplies, and, aside from the fact that equipment and rooms built with them measure and sound better in every way they deeply confuse today's "engineer".  First, they're difficult to "price" (you have to add the cost of the power supply to the cost of the unit, and many feel that this makes it an "extra"), then they're hard for today's "engineer" to "install" (you have to run yet another cable from the power supply to the unit).

I've been under huge pressure (mainly from "professional audio dealers") to eliminate them.  Finally, we've introduced a unit that has a power supply based on an expensive toroid - get this - inside the unit!

Now I'm again hearing that they should be external.

Wish you guys would make up your minds.

George

Rob Darling

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 11:50:34 AM »

The "strongest" sounding pieces of equipment I own- my Daking and GML Pres and my GML 9500, all have outboard psu's.  Don't stop the outboard PSU's, George.  The real reason people can't sell your gear is that no one knows how to listen or learn- do they bitch that API's and Neve's can come in lunchboxes or 12 channel racks?  No.  The fact is that no one understands you don't need a pad if the pre isn't constantly overshooting in the mids and certainly no one will understand anytime soon why the 9500 has different controls from other dynamics controllers. And if they don't get this stuff, they certainly won't know why they have to pay more for it. Keep on doing what you do and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  Someone still has to do things right.

Best,

r.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 16 queries.