R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: L2 vs. MD4 limiter test #3 (DC - rock)  (Read 10107 times)

dcollins

Re: L2 vs. MD4 limiter test #3 (DC - rock)
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2004, 12:17:40 AM »

bobkatz wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 10:59

Let's go back in time. It's 1990, or before.... the volume wars have barely started, digital limiters sound much worse and are barely used.

Yes, and gas used to be a dime a gallon, hot dogs were a nickle...

Quote:

Mastering engineers are not feeling obliged to compete, or trying to push every stage of their chain as much as they can.

Hello?  Like it or not, mastering is a competitive service business.  The best mastering engineers have always been pushing their systems to the max...  Max level, max "fidelity", custom everything.  What are you talking about?

Just because the LP had physical restrictions to stop you, didn't mean they weren't trying!  De-essers and fancy circuit breakers, computers, TV cameras....

Cut to the first guy who pulled the digital fader down 0.2dB and the red lights went away.

But the Laser never jumped out of the groove.............

Quote:

You have the total freedom to go for the "sound" you or the client like and not worry about whether it's loud enough at 7 o'clock position on the volume control of the Program director's NAD system.

I think you can still do that today.  Although "7" is pretty low, even on a NAD system.

Quote:

Do you think you would have been as aggressive with the compressor and ended up with as "loud" a prelimiter signal then as now?

In terms of my limiter test, I probably had a blistering 0.5 to 1dB of total compression.  The mixer?  Well, let's just say he isn't afraid of it.  Then we add some of my magical, secret, EQ technics, and viola!

Quote:

I'm only asking a philosophical question... and I think it's a good one, if it can be answered.

If a limiter gain-reduces and no one hears it, do I still exist?

DC

jfrigo

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2004, 02:08:29 AM »

dcollins wrote on Thu, 30 December 2004 21:17

The mixer?  Well, let's just say he isn't afraid of it.

But I know something he IS afraid of, or perhaps should be...

Quote:

Then we add some of my magical, secret, EQ technics, and viola

I've seen it! DC turns the left knob with his right hand and the right knob with his left hand. What I want to know is how he keeps from reversing the channels on the master!

Talking about level, I think I cut the loudest record of my career today and it's really... um... loud! That's about all you can say for something where the meters don't move. Didn't need much limiting with all that clipping. Well, as long as the check clears and the client is happy.

dcollins

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2004, 02:21:38 AM »

jfrigo wrote on Thu, 30 December 2004 23:08

I've seen it! DC turns the left knob with his right hand and the right knob with his left hand. What I want to know is how he keeps from reversing the channels on the master!

I've also heard that Bill Roberts and you are related.

Is it true?

DC

Level

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2004, 02:32:54 AM »

LOL! How noble.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

bblackwood

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2004, 09:21:53 AM »

dcollins wrote on Thu, 30 December 2004 23:17

bobkatz wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 10:59

Let's go back in time. It's 1990, or before.... the volume wars have barely started, digital limiters sound much worse and are barely used.

Yes, and gas used to be a dime a gallon, hot dogs were a nickle...

I think this is an important point. As much as we would all love to  remove limiters from the equation (for the most part - sometimes what they do sounds kewl) we cannot turn back the clock. All we can do is cut at levels that please the clients (more often than not more conservative than we give them credit for, ime).

Theory is great and all, but if you're cutting records that people are going to hear, it has to be in the ballpark...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

jfrigo

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2004, 12:00:24 PM »

dcollins wrote on Thu, 30 December 2004 23:21

jfrigo wrote on Thu, 30 December 2004 23:08

left knob with his right hand and the right knob with his left hand. What I want to know is how he keeps from reversing the channels on the master!

I've also heard that Bill Roberts and you are related.

Is it true?

DC

Nah, I was just talking about level, not relating to level.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.