R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: McDSP FilterBank  (Read 2293 times)

Ken

McDSP FilterBank
« on: February 23, 2005, 08:50:39 PM »

Just wondering if anyone had EQ recommendations.  I have the Waves plug-ins, which are fine, but am looking for something that is a little, I dunno, sweeter sounding and more transparent (you know - better! <g>)?  

I have Bomb Factory Pulteq, which sound really good, but am looking for something to complement that by having more options.  
Currently, a couple of people recommended McDSP FilterBank.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Is it noticeably better than Waves EQ?  Do you have any other recommendations?  I am using Pro Tools 5.1 with RTAS and AudioSuite, OS 9.2.2,, G4 with ~1.33GHz CPU.  The VST>RTAS Converter by FXPansion apparently doesn't work on OS 9, only OS X, so unfortunately, VST EQs are out for me.

Thanks for your help.

Ken, Blueberry Buddha Studios

rockrev

Re: McDSP FilterBank
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 10:25:36 PM »

I've got the URS N12 and it sounds sweet.  I've heard nothing but good things about the other URS plug-ins.  In fact, there's a sale this month on the BLT EQ plug-in . . . $50 for native users.  It's based on their version of the Pultec, but with only three simple controls . . . Base, Level, Treble.  Try it out.

www.ursplugins.com

rockrev

BTW - the N12 sucked me in b/c someone said they made a DI acoustic guitar sound like a mic'd guitar.  I tried it - and actually worked (in the mix of course), so I bought it.
LUXSONUS.com

MYSPACE.COM/MetonicCycle

antti

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 06:14:19 AM »

Ken wrote on Thu, 24 February 2005 01:50

Just wondering if anyone had EQ recommendations.  I have the Waves plug-ins, which are fine, but am looking for something that is a little, I dunno, sweeter sounding and more transparent (you know - better! <g>)?  

I have Bomb Factory Pulteq, which sound really good, but am looking for something to complement that by having more options.  
Currently, a couple of people recommended McDSP FilterBank.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Is it noticeably better than Waves EQ?  

I use Filterbank on a daily basis. They work for me. I like the filters and eq.
Mainly for adding and creative purposes. I use some Waves stuff as well. Mainly Q-10 for notching things out with narrow Qs. I also like Sony Oxford eq but don't have it in my computer. Focusrite eqs have worked for me (especially on gtrs). Like their filters too. Bombfactory Pultec copy isn't bad either. If I can't get the results I want with Filterbank or Q-10 then I'll go outside for analogue processing. Meine 2 cents..

meverylame

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 10:43:50 AM »

I've never found anything that mcdsp makes to be particularly all that great. I'll reach for waves stuff every time over the mcdsp stuff. Try the URS!
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

Ken

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 12:57:56 PM »

Thank you for the replies.  I will check out the URS stuff a little later and see how that goes.  I am looking for something to augment/replace the Waves stuff, which has a fair amount of flexibility.  

For simple bass/treble/midrange "knobs", the BF Pulteq is pretty good sounding.  And sometimes I use a JoeMeek plug-in as well.  But yes, I definitely want a fair amount of control.  Thanks for the responses.

Greg Dixon

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 04:06:14 PM »

I sold Filterbank, after getting the URS SSL eq. I use that and their API eq most, followed by the Sony Oxford eq.

Ken

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 07:42:49 PM »

So I did a little reading up on the URS Classic Console, which emulates Neve and API EQs, and thought it sounded really great.  Went to download a demo, and it requires iLok.  Grrrrrr....obviously requires iLok to run it as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.