R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Got a 4496 D/A... I have a couple ?'s  (Read 5281 times)

Paul David

Just Got a 4496 D/A... I have a couple ?'s
« on: December 21, 2004, 10:43:21 PM »

I'll be using this with my Digidesign 001. My signal path will be 001 s/pdif > RCA to BNC adapter > BNC to AES adapter (nuetrik) > Lavry AES in > Lavry out to Coleman audio M3PH.

First Q: Should I use the Narrow lock or the Crystal lock? I'll be working in 44.1 and only using one D/A (for now at least).

Second: If I decide to get some more D/A how would I connect them to my 001. I have 10 digital outs, 2 through RCA and 8 through lightpipe.

Thanks, Paul
Through desire, a man, having seperated himself seeketh and intermedleth with all wisdom.

danlavry

Re: Just Got a 4496 D/A... I have a couple ?'s
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 12:57:37 PM »

Paul David wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 03:43

I'll be using this with my Digidesign 001. My signal path will be 001 s/pdif > RCA to BNC adapter > BNC to AES adapter (nuetrik) > Lavry AES in > Lavry out to Coleman audio M3PH.

First Q: Should I use the Narrow lock or the Crystal lock? I'll be working in 44.1 and only using one D/A (for now at least).

Second: If I decide to get some more D/A how would I connect them to my 001. I have 10 digital outs, 2 through RCA and 8 through lightpipe.

Thanks, Paul

I recommend crystal lock for stereo, narrow lock for multichannel applications.
There are all sorts of gear to convert light pipe to XLR, or to RCA. I am not familiar with it all. Let's see what others recommend.

regards
Dan Lavy

BuzAllen

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 03:58:43 PM »

This alesis unit here will get your light pipe to AES (8 ch both ways)

http://www.alesis.com/products/ai4/index.html

Brian

PookyNMR

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 08:13:08 PM »

Those types of conversions don't negetively affect the signal do they?  (AES <-> lightpipe)

Nathan
Nathan Rousu

Paul David

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 03:48:40 AM »

Thanks Dan, I'm glad I asked. I thought it was the other way around.

Thanks Brian, I'll check into that.

Hey Nathan, If I understand Dan's info in the other threads on this forum regarding Lightpipe, AES, and digital information then no, it will not affect your signal since the signal at that point is digital info. To quote the man himself:

"In principle, an AES-SPDIF transformer will work just fine. Assuming we are talking about the same device (made by Neutrix), the Mercenary AES/SPDIF transformer should do fine, but you will need to convert the output side from BNC to RCA. Such BNC to RCA adaptors are easy to come by, they cost about $2.5 or so.

The rest of the message will explain why you will have NO DEGRADATION. The concept is:

With analog signals, the shape of the wave itself represents the information content (the audio). A slight alteration of the wave will change the signal (the audio).

With digital, the information is converted to numbers and the signal itself does not need to be precise to carry the numbers. One can “distort” a digital signal by a huge amount, to a point, and “nothing bad will happen”. You pass that point, and the communication link breaks down. You stay in the “safe zone” and all is fine.

Once the AD conversion is done, the data is “cast in stone”. You are now in the digital world, the “safe zone”. "

You are in a safe place  Shocked  
Through desire, a man, having seperated himself seeketh and intermedleth with all wisdom.

Paul David

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2004, 08:26:45 AM »

These converters are AWESOME, you rock Dan!!!

I started listening to music and everything sounded so great I started making music... Yeah, it's a good Christmas.  Cool

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.