R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG C414 B ULS  (Read 3402 times)

a1matt

AKG C414 B ULS
« on: December 14, 2004, 12:56:25 PM »

I have recently upgraded from a Rode NT1 with Joe Meek VC3 to the above mic with an Amek CIB. My priority is getting the best vocal sound for my own voice (tenor male - rock & ballad). Does my new set up sound like a good one? Are there mics that will do a measurably better job without paying megabucks?

hargerst

Re: AKG C414 B ULS
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 03:20:56 PM »

While I'm not a big fan of that mic, the ultimate test is: So how does it sound on your voice? If it sounds good to you, it's probably a good choice.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

no_fix_in_mix

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 04:07:04 PM »

IMHO, that flavor of 414 is not exactly the bomb.  Rolling Eyes
However, being a tenor you may be able to use a slight amount of proximity effect to your advantage. Also try the 75Hz HPF versus the 150Hz setting and listen to the difference. And don't use a cheap pop filter!

If you can get your hands on a good one, I would say that the older 414EBsilver is the way to go. As for male vox, I often find myself gravitating toward a good dynamic e.g.- MD441, RE-20 or SM-7. Funny you mention the Rode; I own 2 NTV's (the poor man's M269) and I have had good luck with those thru an API 312 on male vox as well. Have fun!

Ralf Kleemann

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2004, 11:57:08 AM »

Personally I think the 414B-ULS or the newer, better spec'ed -XLS, are wonderful for certain types of instruments, but voice does not seem to be their special field from what I've heard and tried.

Since voice is a very sensitive area when it comes to choosing the best microphone, maybe one of the publicly available "Mic Test" CDs can help you choose. For me, the one published by 3D Audio seems well-made and was very insightful. Even if the featured microphones sound different for your own voice, you get a good idea of sibilance, low vs high frequency response, tone, colour, etc. Some are frightening for the male, but outstanding for the female voice, and vice versa.

Another relieving insight was that the notion of being appropriate has little to do with the price.

Best regards,

Ralf

floodstage

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 09:19:42 PM »

I don't often pick the BULS for vocals, but I've had vocalists pick them more than once.  A little shrill to me but they take EQ well.

I'm using a pair of BULS in Omni for drum overheads at the moment and liking what I've been hearing.

If I had it to do again, I'd save up a bit more and get a pair of  TL-II's instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 16 queries.