R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Altec 1567A  (Read 5935 times)

lucey

Altec 1567A
« on: December 08, 2004, 02:41:48 PM »

Is this the loudest preamp in the history of audio or am I an idiot with the hook up?

Using the Manual
1, 3, 4-shield on the input side (pg. 4) 150 ohm
1, 4, 6-shield on the output side (pg. 5) 600 ohm

And there's SOOOOOO much gain with just a 57 and a "check, check" signal that I need to turn the Master way down around  2 or it overloads (it's +6 or so even with that much attenuation)

Any ideas on how to get this beast working right?  Or is it always this hot?

thanks in advance,

Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

Ryan Massey

Re: Altec 1567A
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 03:10:16 AM »

Hi there-
We have two of the Altec's at the studio I work at, and I had one long ago that I carried around with me.  Our's have a pad in front of them- a simple xlr in-line pad seems to do just fine.  I love the 1567 on guitars especially- would hate to be without them.  Give the pad a try and I think you'll be happy.  Cheers,
ryan
   =www.sharkbitestudios.com=

OOF!

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 07:48:00 PM »

you may have an issue with your 1567.  i have a couple of these and neither of them have a super hot output.  they interface just fine.  i use the 600 ohm across the outputs. ( actually it may be a 680 ohm).  they are great units.
it seems like you have the manual- if you need it i can email one to you.  have it checked out.
good luck,
david lawrence

lucey

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 03:11:15 AM »

OOF! wrote on Tue, 14 December 2004 19:48

you may have an issue with your 1567.  i have a couple of these and neither of them have a super hot output.

do you use the Peerless transformers on the Input? that would lower it, if not.

with tranny, these have 97 db of gain, so all is well.

just the same i'm having Vintage Loop do a refurb ... anyone have experience with Bob up there???
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

hollywood_steve

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 01:23:52 PM »

just the same i'm having Vintage Loop do a refurb ... anyone have experience with Bob up there???

Assuming you mean Robert Payne, yes, great guy.  Several years ago, I purchased a nice little matched set; an Altec 1566a mic preamp and a 436b compressor.  Both were in very nice shape, but filled with 40 year old components.  I found Vintage Loop online and sent him both pieces.  He  went through both units, brought them up to spec, wired up some pigtails, etc.  What I receieved back could have passed for "reissues" as they both looked like they had just come off the assembly line.

The 1566a has been in regular use ever since with no problems at all; but be prepared for a butt-load of gain!  The 436b went through a period where it was touchy about loading, but for the past two years it has been happy no matter what I connect it to.  (explain that, please?!?

I almost sold the pair earlier this year as they are not the lightest gear for location use, and a pretty pair like this can now draw silly money on Ebay.  But I made the mistake of plugging a Coles 4038 into these two units and the result was staggering; that combo can make Minnie Mouse sound like Barry White.  It's my secret weapon for any future vocal sessions.

lucey

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 01:34:26 PM »

hollywood_steve wrote on Thu, 16 December 2004 13:23

I almost sold the pair earlier this year as they are not the lightest gear for location use, and a pretty pair like this can now draw silly money on Ebay.  But I made the mistake of plugging a Coles 4038 into these two units and the result was staggering; that combo can make Minnie Mouse sound like Barry White.  It's my secret weapon for any future vocal sessions.

Great news Steve, thank you.

I'm having him refurb both 1567A units as we speak.

And i use 2 4038s, mmmmmmm .... drums anyone?
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

River

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 08:11:00 PM »

Since the 1567a has come up, does anybody care to share some info on just how they employ them?

I've got a pair of 1567a's that I've been using, but it seems like I just use them as preamps and rarely use the mixing capability of them.  It always seems like I'm underutilizing the things, espaecially with the amount of rack space they take up.

Anyone using them in a different fashion?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 19 queries.