R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compressor Schematics  (Read 12929 times)

MrLuc

Compressor Schematics
« on: November 27, 2004, 12:25:18 PM »

Hi, I was wondering if any of you know where I can find schematics to build an analog tube compressor?  I'm pretty decent at electrical engineering, but I'd really like to have a starting point to work off of.  Many thanks!

Brian Roth

Re: Compressor Schematics
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 02:24:31 AM »

Which topology...optical or "variable mu"?  The LA-2 is the most popular of the former, while the UA 175 and various units from Altec, Langevin, RCA, etc. use the latter.

Try Googling for something like "Altec compressor schematic" and see what you find.  I have various schemos around here as well.

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

Ryan A. Mills

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 09:40:53 AM »

Have a look on these message boards: http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/index.php

MrLuc

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 10:10:52 PM »

Thanks for the link Ryan..looks like I'm going to have to set aside a couple days top pour over that forum...

Brian..I was really hoping to find the schematics to the Manley variable mu compressor...you wouldnt happen to have that sitting around, would you?

Thanks again both of you..much appreciated!

Brian Roth

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 01:52:48 AM »

I don't seem to find that Manley schemo on my hard drive, but a couple of my clients have Manley units.  I don't recall if they have Massive Passives or Vari-Mu's but I'll check.

Keep in mind that Manley basically "re did" a very old design concept going back 50 or 60 years.  I did a very quick look through files and found the Altec A-322C (octal tubes) and Langevin AM-5301 (miniature tubes) used that approach in addition to the UA 175/176.  Those were just the ones that I immediately spotted.  In all these cases, they varied the gain (or mu) of the push-pull input stages to control the level.  The circuits had to be push-pull to cancel out "thumps" caused by the control voltages.

Some mention of that design is in Lawrence's patent (3,258,707) which became the basis for the Teletronics LA-2 "opto" compressor.  Punch in that number at www.uspto.gov to read that patent, and there are also references to prior art that you can thread through, including "variable mu" IIRC.

Bri
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

oddioguy

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 05:13:36 PM »

I've got LA2A schematics and am putting a proper bill of materials together if you're interested. Look on the JBL Pro site as well, they have a section dedicated to vintage gear.
Come to think of it, I probably have the 1176 schematic around here somewhere.....
Intolerance Intolerant

Barish

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 04:27:18 PM »

1176 is a FET compressor though, not a valve one.
M Ozturk

oddioguy

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 07:06:46 PM »

Yup.
Sorry, lost the whole "valve" thing by the time I got finished typing.
Intolerance Intolerant

ssltech

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 11:05:33 AM »

Bloo makes an LA-2a kit. It's the absolute "Dog's Bollocks" (mutts nutts). Indistinguishable from the real thing, at about 1/3rd of the price.

Bloo kits have been built by a few of the folks at the Prodigy-pro furum, linked above, 'Scenaria' is the guy to talk to.

Manley are rather protective of their stuff and do NOT allow schematics to be distributed. EveAnna has been known to step into discussions about cloning their products, or threads about sharing schematics, and put an end to it all.

Shortened version: Manley schematics: -Don't go there.

There are a number of "variable-mu" (a term which Manley actually trademarked, despite the topology being in use for 40 years prior, and the term having been in common parlance for a long time) compressors such as the Fairchild, the Pendulum, the Gates Level-Devil, and a couple of others, but they all tend to use tubes (valves) which are in short supply and/or overpriced. The old designs generally use no longer manufactured transformers as an intrinsic part of the process: the fundamental basis of the variable mu limiter is a split-polarity signal through two halves of a tube, with a transformer differentially passing the gain-controlled audio and rejecting the control voltage.

If you want vintage, the LA-2a is the easiest candidate, since you can basically buy a kit. If you must have variable mu, there's a version which infringes no copyrights, and was designed to use the 12AU7 -a tube which will be available for a long time to come: and easily obtainable transformers from radio shack. The power transformers are also readily available, and the whole thing was intended to be built, shared and enjoyed without pissing off manufacturers...

Here is the link:
http://www.conditionedresponse.com/DIY/C5/index.html

If you pursue the Manley thing too far, you might get a stern response from a certain lady who's generally understood to become rather anoyed by people sharing her schematics...

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

MrLuc

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 05:47:32 PM »

Wow, thanks everyone for all the information!!!  I'm definately off to a great start with my compressor greatly due to this forum!  Happy Holidys all and thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.