R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Optimal Sample Rate  (Read 8868 times)

bobkatz

Re: Optimal Sample Rate
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2004, 08:36:29 PM »

stark wrote on Thu, 18 November 2004 19:33

I want to track at 44.1/24, bring each track out individually to mix analog.  Is there a benefit to higher sample rates under this senario.

Adam Stark

There is no definitive answer.

It depends on the quality of your A/D converters you used to track and the D/A converters you use to play back. The A/D side would be most critical, since most D/A converters oversample anyway and the advantages on the playback side are not as great if at all. It's all in the filters and their quality and the converter design and how and where they implement the upsampling and decimation.

What I've found is a real good quality 44.1 K or 48 K converter sonically beats the pants off of a mediocre one running at a higher rate. The quality of the filters, the conversion, and the analog electronics has to be weighed into your answer.
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

stark

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2004, 08:48:19 PM »

Thanks Bob,
I think I've finally got the picture.  Now, to open another smelly can of worms, How does one without an EE degree pick a brand of converter.  I would at least like to get something which would hold up over time and not become yet another door stop in my house.  I don't have that many doors.  I disturbs me that some companies sell what they claim is the best clock yet don't put it in anything but the highest end products.

Adam Stark

bobkatz

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2004, 08:59:28 PM »

stark wrote on Thu, 18 November 2004 20:48

Thanks Bob,
I think I've finally got the picture.  Now, to open another smelly can of worms, How does one without an EE degree pick a brand of converter.  I would at least like to get something which would hold up over time and not become yet another door stop in my house.  I don't have that many doors.  I disturbs me that some companies sell what they claim is the best clock yet don't put it in anything but the highest end products.

Adam Stark

Ideally, what you have to do is Test it (including jitter testing and frequency response and distortion and SNR), and audition it. Put it through its paces with live musicians and lots of A/B comparisons. Short of that, buy a reputable brand; you can't go wrong with the top 5 or 6.

In a way, no different than picking a car. If you haven't driven a Lexus, how do you know it's going to be a great car? Do you buy one because Bob Katz said you have to get a Lexus? Well, if I were a car expert, then you should INCLUDE my opinion in the suggestions of what car to get, but not rely completely on it. Same way with converters.

That said, I think you are looking for me to give a recommendations of brands. How about starting with:

Lavry, Prism, Mytek, Stagetech, Apogee, for a start. Is there anything I've missed that's a worthy contender? (I hope I haven't made an oversight)

Which one is better? I have some ideas which one I might be inclined to start listening to first (hint, name begins with "L"), but I cannot say with absolute certainty which one is REALLY better not having done a truly fair shootout of one against another.

See if Lynn Fuston's converter test CD helps you!  I'll bet you'll hear more similarities than differences, thus proving that most of the differences we like to brag about are really quite subtle.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

stark

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2004, 09:16:21 PM »

Ok, I'll just get the "LB" and be done with it.  Thanks for all the help.  Back to making  music....

Adam Stark
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.