R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: EQ for 192KH sampling  (Read 18376 times)

danlavry

EQ for 192KH sampling
« on: November 15, 2004, 07:04:53 PM »

A story from the AES convention:

Next to my booth, there was a digital EQ unit with many bands, starting at low frequencies and going up to 20KHz. I pointed out to my wife, Priscilla, that there are no sliders for 20-90KHz which is part of the “audio band” of the 192KHz sampling range. Was that  graphics EQ “missing” a lot of bands from 20KHz to 96KHz?  I stated that having such high frequency sliders would provide a good demonstration that 192KHz sampling for audio is “the king has no cloths”. No one would hear moving a 90KHz or 50KHz slider because there is nothing to EQ. If there is no energy there (your mic does not pick it up) and you “put a peak” on nothing, you get nothing! If there is something there, you will not hear it anyway (ears, speakers…). If you hear anything, it is an unintended, thus undesirable alteration of the real audio band (a 50KHz or 90KHz slider should not alter audio, say under 20Khz).

We decided to take a walk on the display floor and see what various analog and digital 192KHz EQ units do. Well, I did not find anyone foolish enough to have above 50KHz EQ control slider. Most gear stops at 20KHz. We did see  DAW gear with many available software plug-ins, and indeed there was at least one EQ screen with a control up to about 50KHz. The operator (the demo guy) stated he is a “sound guy”, not a “technical type”. He said that while some software plug-ins do have the display go to 50KHz, he is not even sure if “they do anything”. When I started to talk about marketing hype, he said that companies do make cars that can go at 200mph speed even if it is not legal. Priscilla pointed out to him that when you step on the gas paddle the car goes faster. It does something but moving the 50KHz slider does nothing.

I have already stated that 192KHz is “the king has no clothes”. I suggest that any golden ear claiming  there is energy or activity at higher frequencies be called in for a double blind test with an EQ knob at 96KHz (ok, lets go for a 50KHz).

To those that say they don’t “hear it” but they “feel it”: I know you will feel it in your pocket book…  

Regards
Dan Lavry

chap

Re: EQ for 192KH sampling
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 11:21:23 PM »

Hi Dan,
I'm a long time admirer and have been fortunate to use your products from time to time.
I am not a scientist but rather, a full time producer/musician.
I've learned to trust my ears while remaining open minded.
I couldn't agree with you more that the 192k sampling rate appears market driven.  All the reasons you give seem well thought out, clear and sensible. ( I'm an armchair scientist groupie, from Edison to Feynman).  In addition, my own testing and ears have supported your position.  It seems that perusing 192 would be a logical venture if we could improve the receiving devices at the same time ( our ears).  It would appear that nature (as described by (Fletcher/Munson) has decided that for now.  Maybe in the future, we'll all have huge ears and pods for fingers.

One thing that I've noticed from reading all the science based threads, is that I'm glad I make music and, there appear to be several schools of scientists.   Scientists are human too (read James Gleik's 'Chaos' and 'Genius').
It would seem that the best scientists, like Copernicus etc.,
get the numbers straight but also follow intuition and see a kind of poetry in their work.  They also benefit from those that came before and the occasional Eureka. They also, somehow, manage to use their subjective, empirical knowledge to forge new concepts.
I learn more from these people.  Maybe they get the light while others toil unnoticed, but it's their flexibility and willingness to incorporate new ideas and theories while maintaining a healthy dose of skepticism.  I can remember being disappoint to learn that Einstein could not reconcile quantum mechanics (the 'Dice' quote) even tough his discoveries made quantum possible.
I guess what I'm getting at, in a respectful way, is that I've observed you getting occasionally dogmatic about something rather than to be skeptical but open minded.  You strike me to be a brilliant, success-full designer but slightly close minded. (my use of'close minded' is, of course, subjective)
I'm referring to the derailed word clock thread.  I know it's silly to bring it up but I admire Lucas too.  I'm amazed that there are humans who have figured out a way to make sound out of zero's and one's.  I don't pretend to converse on a technical level but I can observe process.  I'm sure that all of you high end guys want the absolute best.  After all, you put your name on it and your livelihood depends on it.  So in a roundabout way, I'm saying thanks for keeping the bar high and keep that open mind open so that if something new happens, you can examine it...openminded.
I would not take the time to write you if I didn't hold you and your products in such high regard.  I hope you take it in the spirit in which I write, high regard and forward thinking.
Thanks,
chap

oh, and back to the topic, for now, I'll stay with 44.1/24 unless
I can hear a real difference.  I was totally surprised by the results of our little a/b test (6 different converters) where we all chose 44.1/24 bit with the exception of the Digidesign 192. which most of us preferred at 88.2/24.  It was only afterwords that I read your paper and it all made sense.

danlavry

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 03:33:46 PM »

chap wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 04:21

Hi Dan,

I am not a scientist but rather, a full time producer/musician.
I've learned to trust my ears while remaining open minded...

I guess what I'm getting at, in a respectful way, is that I've observed you getting occasionally dogmatic about something rather than to be skeptical but open minded...

Chap,

I would welcome technical comments because I have tried to stay away from the personal. As you can see, it is difficult to do so when put in defensive mode.

As for being open-minded, as previously stated, I know when to draw the line against technical bull shit and I did against the people you mentioned. I will say again that for those who do need to run lots of gear, there is no bull shit when I recommend clocks having the design based on fixed crystal technology. However, my main point was to use internal clock whenever possible.

As for “forging new concepts” I also mentioned that I was the designer of the first A/D D/A converters for THAT company as well as the soft saturation, and what is called the UV22.  My designs since the 90s for my own company have far surpassed those earlier concepts and I am currently working on a “new concept” that will blow your socks off.

Please stay technical on this forum and peace to you!
Regards,
Dan Lavry

Ralf Kleemann

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 11:48:44 AM »

danlavry wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 00:04

I suggest that any golden ear claiming  there is energy or activity at higher frequencies be called in for a double blind test with an EQ knob at 96KHz (ok, lets go for a 50KHz).

Tell them to bring their cat (or a couple of bats) to see if they can hear something. Smile

mxeryus

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 12:24:04 PM »

All,

As a (very) long time lurker just my 2 cents...

We seem to mix up the higher sample rate and the frequency range.... A higher sample rate (192 kHz vs. 44.1 kHz) is nothing more ore less than a higher number of samples taken per second.
A higher bit rate (24 or more vs. 16) will give a more detailed sample. The combination of 192 kHz and 24 bit's will result in very, very detailed samples. And a lot of disk space and processing power needed.

One of the RESULTS of using the higher sample rate is that we have the theoretical (but not practical) possibility of recording a wider frequency range (which is absolutely useless, because we still do not have access to input devices (microphones) with a flat frequency response above 22 kHz).

I personally believe that some humans can "sense" (i.e. hear, feel) frequencies above 22 kHz.
But as long as we are not able to record it, we can not mix it and master it. How can we monitor, mix or master the insensible?

Recording at 192 kHz for a wider frequency range will result in uncontrolled, uncontrollable and unpredictable artifacts above 22 kHz. Recording at 192 KHz sample rates AND filtering out anything above 22 kHz might probably result in a very detailed recording.

And your recording will probably end up (cut off and dithered) on a CD.

Getting my Nomex on.... Wink
I prefer a bottle in front of me instead of a frontal lobotomy...

danlavry

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 06:33:45 PM »

mxeryus wrote on Tue, 23 November 2004 17:24

All,

Recording at 192 KHz sample rates AND filtering out anything above 22 kHz might probably result in a very detailed recording.

And your recording will probably end up (cut off and dithered) on a CD.

Getting my Nomex on.... Wink

Go to my website at http\\www.lavryengineering.com and under suport, look for a paper called Sampling Theory. After you raed it, you will probably realize that recording at 192KHz will NOT result in a very detailed recording.

That kind of "common sense" is exaxctly what led non technical types to push the sample rate higher. More samples for audio IS NOT analogous to more pixels on a video screen!

BR
Dan Lavry

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 10:43:39 PM »

Dan,

I have a few questions regarding your vocal 96kHz approach:
1) do you base the premise on a Laplace, Fourier, or z-transform, or primarily based on published work by Nyquist?  If based on Nyquist's published work, have you also considered Bode plots for similar analysis?  Some people believe the Bode approach is more quantitative.  If you have derived your theories from the interaction of the Laplace and Fourier transforms, do you resolve their intersection in the s plane or through the poles and zeroes?
2) since the bandwidth is frequency-limited by Nyquist, then so is the space.  As we move into more time-domain-related models, such as node interactions between output (even if limited to 20kHz), do you agree that we require higher samples, even if extrapolated?
3) Though the concept of megapixels on a camera don't correlate directly to sound (though in some ways they do), can you concede that the energy transfer through the camera CCD (i.e. visible light reconstruction) is analogous to the frequency (energy) dependence in sound?  
4) do you believe it is the job of the audio designer to address these topics?  If so, which type of designer should take the lead?  
5) do you believe the reconstruction phase low-pass filters are becoming good enough for us to overcome the infinite support in the spatial domain?
6) how do you model lead/lag compensation design?  
7) how do you calculate the convolution of the sinc function?  

Sincerely,
My World

mxeryus

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 02:34:37 AM »

Dan,
I have read your excellent white papers and digged out my math and science books (duh! couldn't find a single mistake or even a typo in your calculations.. Cool ). I think you are approaching the debate from one of the RESULTS of the higher sampling rates: the freq range over 22 KHz. In my post I was referring to the technical aspects of the higher sampling rates. Technically speaking (and/or from another point of view), I still insist that a recording session at 192 KHz sample rate will be very detailed (each 1/192,000 second is sampled).

And YES, it will be useless and maybe even distorted in the freq range above 22 KHz. And YES, for those die hards who want to be able to edit within nanoseconds, go ahead. And YES, the next major release of your favorite software will have a plugin that will automatically take care of the freqs from 22 KHz to 90 KHz  Very Happy . And YES, you will need a lot of processing power and storage.

Best regards,
Roger

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 03:04:30 PM »

mxeryus wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 01:34

...I still insist that a recording session at 192 KHz sample rate will be very detailed (each 1/192,000 second is sampled).

If I understand it correctly, Dan's point is that inaccurate samples taken at 192kHz. don't result in as much detail as accurate samples taken at 96kHz. If all things were equal at higher speeds, maybe but in the real world all things aren't equal.

danlavry

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 03:56:42 PM »

My World wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 03:43

Dan,

I have a few questions regarding your vocal 96kHz approach:
1) do you base the premise on a Laplace, Fourier, or z-transform, or primarily based on published work by Nyquist?...
Sincerely,
My World

“1) do you base the premise on a Laplace, Fourier, or z-transform, or primarily based on published work by Nyquist? If based on Nyquist's published work, have you also considered Bode plots for similar analysis? Some people believe the Bode approach is more quantitative. If you have derived your theories from the interaction of the Laplace and Fourier transforms, do you resolve their intersection in the s plane or through the poles and zeroes?”

My paper and the concepts are based on Nyquist theory. I use Laplace, Fourier and z transforms, as well as Bode plots “all the time”, but those math and engineering tools have nothing to do with the basic concept. Sure you can do a bode plot to show gain and phase, or do an FFT and so on. You can use other tools as well. The Nyquist concept stands to whatever you throw at it:

The digitized waveform contained 2 “types of energy”:
A. The signal content below Nyquist is the EXACT signal prior to digitizing (such as the exact audio signal)
B. The signal content above Nyquist is the “error signal” or “difference signal” (difference between original and digitized)

Therefore, filtering (removing) the energy above Nyquist from the digitized wave leave only the energy below Nyquist, thus the original signal. That includes everything (amplitude, phase and all).    

2) since the bandwidth is frequency-limited by Nyquist, then so is the space. As we move into more time-domain-related models, such as node interactions between output (even if limited to 20kHz), do you agree that we require higher samples, even if extrapolated?

Time domain and frequency domain are ONE IN THE SAME! One may choose (or have reasons) to view or measure in one domain or the other. I talked about it my paper, but it is really a fundamental concept. What happens when you try to pass a 1usec  impulse through say a 20KHz bandwidth? The 1usec impulse contains energy at frequencies way above 20KHz. What happens when you remove (filter) the energy above 20KHz? You are left with a wider impulse, a 20KHz impulse. People that talk about “better time location” because of “narrower impulse” are wrong. The lowest bandwidth in the chain (mic, speaker, the ear or whatever) defines the lowest bandwidth, thus the impulse width.

Also, some people confuse time delay with bandwidth (impulse).

3) Though the concept of megapixels on a camera don't correlate directly to sound (though in some ways they do), can you concede that the energy transfer through the camera CCD (i.e. visible light reconstruction) is analogous to the frequency (energy) dependence in sound?

I am not going to get into video. I only touched on “pixels” because “the more is better” catch phrase was used to promote that 192KHz nonsense. The number of pixels has to do with the PRESENTION of the information. Nyqusit theory is about INFORMATION.
Clearly, if you have few pixels, the picture will look granular, and that is because there is no mechanism to correct for that poor presentation. Neither the display, nor the eye can compensate or correct for “not enough pixels”. In fact, much of the video display technology is BASED ON keeping the information separate for each pixel. For a given frame, one pixel is bright red; the adjacent one is low brightness green….  I do not consider such a process analogous to one continues analog signal. The display signals are “broken up” by XY coordinates” and possible color…
But in the background, the video signal itself (containing all the video information) does obeys Nyquist.

Audio (or DA process in general) is NOT analogous to video display technology. We do not have to separate the information onto individual pixels and colors, or into 60 frames of 525 lines each second… We do have a mechanism to “fill in” between samples, and the “fill in” is not an approximation. As long as we obey Nyquist, it is a PERFECT “fill in”. What happens between the dots is the exact duplicate of the original signal. If the curve between 2 sample times were concave, the “fill in” will be concave. If it were convex, or a straight line or what not, it will be reproduced that way. NO NEED FOR ADDITIONAL SAMPLES IN BETWEEN! That is what Nyquist is all about! How do you execute that “fill in”? By using a filter to remove all the energy at frequencies above Nyquist. That is all.

Again, the outcome is the original signal. You can look at it any way you please, and it is the exact original signal. Shine a light on it, do a Bode plot, look at the phase… You will not find a difference between the original analog and the reconstructed (AD than DA) waveforms.

4) do you believe it is the job of the audio designer to address these topics? If so, which type of designer should take the lead?

Please clarify what you mean by “an audio designer”. In our industry there are both “ear types”, and “technical types”. I do not think the ear types can be expected to lead audio in a technical arena. I have seen occasions where unqualified ear types claim the lead, such as in the case for 192KHz sampling.

I know many dozens of EE (technical types), and the majority do not get into signal theory. Many are into computers, and are too busy with their issue. Most designers of AD and DA converters are pretty weak on the theory side, and are busy buying ready made IC’s solutions, to be “glued” on a printed circuit board, into a fancy chassis and out the door.

But there are those that know the technical issues. You will be amazed at the consensus regarding 192KHz when the issue is discussed privately. People just do not want to take a stand against their companies.

I can afford to be a 192KHz whistle blower, because I own my company. No one will demote me or fire me. Is it my job to take the lead? I am not sure. It would be easier to just glue those IC’s on the boards. Instead, I took weeks and months to PROTEST.

“5) do you believe the reconstruction phase low-pass filters are becoming good enough for us to overcome the infinite support in the spatial domain?
7) how do you calculate the convolution of the sinc function?

Let me take a rain check on the last 3… work calls!

BR
Dan Lavry  

danlavry

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 08:07:41 PM »

mxeryus wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 07:34

Dan,
I have read your excellent white papers and digged out my math and science books (duh! couldn't find a single mistake or even a typo in your calculations.. Cool ). I think you are approaching the debate from one of the RESULTS of the higher sampling rates: the freq range over 22 KHz. In my post I was referring to the technical aspects of the higher sampling rates. Technically speaking (and/or from another point of view), I still insist that a recording session at 192 KHz sample rate will be very detailed (each 1/192,000 second is sampled).

And YES, it will be useless and maybe even distorted in the freq range above 22 KHz. And YES, for those die hards who want to be able to edit within nanoseconds, go ahead. And YES, the next major release of your favorite software will have a plugin that will automatically take care of the freqs from 22 KHz to 90 KHz  Very Happy . And YES, you will need a lot of processing power and storage.

Best regards,
Roger

The truth, basic math and physics can not be altered by INSISTING it is not so.
It took the genius of Nyquist to point out that ONE DOES NOT GET MORE DETAIL WITH MORE SAMPLES!

Yes, it may go against basic street common sense, and the only cure is to really learn how it could be possible that a sample every 1/192,000 of a second is no better than a sample every 1/96,000 of a second. Years of studying math and signal theory are required for a deep understanding as to why this is so.  

The key to understanding is based on the fact that we are dealing with a signal of a certain limited bandwidth. I guess that is what you called “RESULTS”. I call it “REQUIRED BANDWIDTH”. You seem to acknowledge that microphone bandwidth limitations play a role here.  You are correct . And there is a reason why the mic and speaker manufacturers do not try to accommodate 96KHz audio signals.  As you must know, the human ear does not hear that high!

So once we pinned down the REQUIRED BANDWIDTH (be it 20KHz, or 30KHz or 40KHz), THERE IS NO ADDITIONAL DETAIL TO BE GAINED BY SAMPLING FASTER. I do not know anyone credible that claims to hear 96KHz audio so 192KHz is not needed.

The 88.2KHz rate is an overkill for 30KHz audio! This is a fact, just like 1+1=2. Follow Nyquist Theory, it gives you 100% of the signal information detail.

BR
Dan Lavry

danlavry

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 09:13:02 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 20:04

mxeryus wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 01:34

...I still insist that a recording session at 192 KHz sample rate will be very detailed (each 1/192,000 second is sampled).

If I understand it correctly, Dan's point is that inaccurate samples taken at 192kHz. don't result in as much detail as accurate samples taken at 96kHz. If all things were equal at higher speeds, maybe but in the real world all things aren't equal.

That is a practical reality, there is a SPEED ACCURACEY TRADEOFF. That aside, some people seem to resist the reality that THERE IS NOTHING TO BE GAINED from sampling too fast.

Going from say 96KHz to 192KHz sampling is NOT A TRADOFF between more detail and accuracy. THERE IS NO MORE DETAIL!!! You gain NOTHING!!! You LOOSE a lot!!!  (less accuracy, larger data file, increased need for processing power).

That “street common sense” works many times, but can also fail you. Some people have a real hard time accepting something that goes beyond their limited understanding. I guess understanding Nyquist is one such case.

SO!! it is time for an example that demonstrates how common sense may fail you:

Let us take a star, with a diameter of 1000000 miles (one million miles). It is an “ideal star”, a perfectly round sphere shape, perfectly smooth surface. The equator is well marked.

We now take a perfect long rope and lay it tightly against the equator. We tie the rope ends. The rope is forming a circle.

Next we cut the rope and add 100 feet in length. We then shape the rope to form a new circle (obviously larger circle because we added 100 feet).

Now, it is important to be clear about one thing: We place the new rope so that the distance between the elongated rope (by 100 feet) and the equator is the same everywhere. In fact we have 2 circles with the same center. The circle made by the equator, and the circle made by the rope.

My question is: Using your common sense, is there enough room to stick a needle between the rope and the equator? You are not allowed to pull on the rope or even touch it. Could you stick a finger in the space between rope and equator? Can you walk under the rope?

Your “street common sense” will fail you. It takes only high school math to figure the answer.

Maybe this example will convince some people that “gut feel” can be wrong.  Certainly anyone insisting that there is more detail when increasing the sample rate beyond Nyqusit recommendations is letting that “gut feel” lead them to an incorrect conclusion.

Best Regards

Dan Lavry

mxeryus

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2004, 02:34:59 AM »

We are still talking about the same Wink, but our starting points are different. Maybe I haven't made myself clear enough.

We 'll have a drink on this at the next AES!

mxeryus

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 02:41:15 AM »

Oops... forgot this one.... Yes, there is enough room to stick a needle beteen the rope and the equator. Yes, I could stick a finger in the space between rope and equator. Yes, I can walk under the rope. Even with my sizes.
Do I qualify now ? Wink

danlavry

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 04:04:40 PM »

mxeryus wrote on Thu, 25 November 2004 07:41

Oops... forgot this one.... Yes, there is enough room to stick a needle beteen the rope and the equator. Yes, I could stick a finger in the space between rope and equator. Yes, I can walk under the rope. Even with my sizes.
Do I qualify now ? Wink

Regarding the rope question:
Out of 100 people using their intuition instead of math, nearly all will come up with the wrong answer. Use of math is required to arrive at the correct answer.  

My point is that to understand Nyquist one must use math to overcome the intuitive conclusion the leads to the wrong answer.,  Doing the math using Nyquist’s theory proves that more samples yield no additional detail.

BR
Dan Lavry  

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 04:01:59 AM »

I asked:
“1) do you base the premise on a Laplace, Fourier, or z-transform, or primarily based on published work by Nyquist? If based on Nyquist's published work, have you also considered Bode plots for similar analysis? Some people believe the Bode approach is more quantitative. If you have derived your theories from the interaction of the Laplace and Fourier transforms, do you resolve their intersection in the s plane or through the poles and zeroes?”

Mr. Lavry replied:
"My paper and the concepts are based on Nyquist theory. I use Laplace, Fourier and z transforms, as well as Bode plots “all the time”, but those math and engineering tools have nothing to do with the basic concept. Sure you can do a bode plot to show gain and phase, or do an FFT and so on. You can use other tools as well. The Nyquist concept stands to whatever you throw at it:

The digitized waveform contained 2 “types of energy”:
A. The signal content below Nyquist is the EXACT signal prior to digitizing (such as the exact audio signal)
B. The signal content above Nyquist is the “error signal” or “difference signal” (difference between original and digitized)

Therefore, filtering (removing) the energy above Nyquist from the digitized wave leave only the energy below Nyquist, thus the original signal. That includes everything (amplitude, phase and all)."

I reply:
Can you envision a circumstance where higher sampling rates might be useful?  The reason I ask this is because s, z, and F transforms, as well as Nyquist and Bode are rooted in an impulse-response sampling.  Most discussion on these topics is presented as 2-D matrices.  The way it is applied to communications implies (for the purpose of this discussion) a reconstruction from a signal in a wire, which originated from some perturbation in a transducer of limited physical response (a 3-D pressure wave creating harmonic vibration on a 2-D medium, a 3-D guitar string inducing current in a magnetic pickup, etc.).  If these theories are designed for a signal flow in an already-reduced transmission medium, then can they really apply to a more "real" environment, and maintain relationships between infinite arrays of input, or does the conversion have to be re-designed?  If it has to be re-designed, at what point must this occur?  Another way of stating this is that the ideal sinc function looks good on a Euclidean 2-D or polar 2-d plot, but does the same apply to a Euclidean 3-D plot, spherical, or cylindrical plot?  What strange phenomena would limit its extrapolation into higher dimensions?  How and why must we start to "extract" information rather than "sample" it?  

I asked:
"2) since the bandwidth is frequency-limited by Nyquist, then so is the space. As we move into more time-domain-related models, such as node interactions between output (even if limited to 20kHz), do you agree that we require higher samples, even if extrapolated?"

Mr. Lavry replied:
"Time domain and frequency domain are ONE IN THE SAME! One may choose (or have reasons) to view or measure in one domain or the other. I talked about it my paper, but it is really a fundamental concept. What happens when you try to pass a 1usec impulse through say a 20KHz bandwidth? The 1usec impulse contains energy at frequencies way above 20KHz. What happens when you remove (filter) the energy above 20KHz? You are left with a wider impulse, a 20KHz impulse. People that talk about “better time location” because of “narrower impulse” are wrong. The lowest bandwidth in the chain (mic, speaker, the ear or whatever) defines the lowest bandwidth, thus the impulse width.

Also, some people confuse time delay with bandwidth (impulse)."

I reply:
Inverting frequency into time or changing the way the data is handled is not the purpose of my question.  What I am trying to ask is that if we look at speaker-speaker interactions, and examine phenomena such as nodal lines and antinodal lines resulting from a two-output source (not even considering that these sources are nonideal), we are starting to degrade the signal and apply limitations on how the speakers can produce sound.  This is apparent in a pair of $5 speakers, and it is apparent in $500,000 speaker arrays.  So at some point a better speaker design may come about...perhaps in the year 2050...which is not limited to the original constraints of traditional speakers.  Such a speaker might entail, perhaps, billions upon billions of nano-sound devices that completely envelope a room...who knows?  But if we have perfect input and output, might there be a need for a different "technique" for conversion, and if so, what do you envision that to be?  This discussion is beyond Nyquist as the audio world has been referring to it, and perhaps even beyond "sampling".  

I wrote:

Mr. Lavry replied:
"I am not going to get into video. I only touched on “pixels” because “the more is better” catch phrase was used to promote that 192KHz nonsense. The number of pixels has to do with the PRESENTION of the information. Nyqusit theory is about INFORMATION.
Clearly, if you have few pixels, the picture will look granular, and that is because there is no mechanism to correct for that poor presentation. Neither the display, nor the eye can compensate or correct for “not enough pixels”. In fact, much of the video display technology is BASED ON keeping the information separate for each pixel. For a given frame, one pixel is bright red; the adjacent one is low brightness green…. I do not consider such a process analogous to one continues analog signal. The display signals are “broken up” by XY coordinates” and possible color…
But in the background, the video signal itself (containing all the video information) does obeys Nyquist.

Audio (or DA process in general) is NOT analogous to video display technology. We do not have to separate the information onto individual pixels and colors, or into 60 frames of 525 lines each second… We do have a mechanism to “fill in” between samples, and the “fill in” is not an approximation. As long as we obey Nyquist, it is a PERFECT “fill in”. What happens between the dots is the exact duplicate of the original signal. If the curve between 2 sample times were concave, the “fill in” will be concave. If it were convex, or a straight line or what not, it will be reproduced that way. NO NEED FOR ADDITIONAL SAMPLES IN BETWEEN! That is what Nyquist is all about! How do you execute that “fill in”? By using a filter to remove all the energy at frequencies above Nyquist. That is all.

Again, the outcome is the original signal. You can look at it any way you please, and it is the exact original signal. Shine a light on it, do a Bode plot, look at the phase… You will not find a difference between the original analog and the reconstructed (AD than DA) waveforms."

I say:
Then let's forget about megapixels.  Let's discuss a single CCD pixel, which translates light energy into electronic energy.  The CCD pixel is light sensitive, and is reponsive to a bandwidth of photonic energy.  The camera lens directs light onto the CCD pixel, and by adjusting the aperture, the amount of light can be controlled to optimize exposure onto the CCD pixel.  There is a limit to how far the lens aperture can be closed before lens diffraction onto the CCD renders no further gain in light responsivity and lens properties, and this correlation between aperture and pixel sensitivity is also falls under Nyquist theory.  But now take a step back.  We are only dealing with one CCD pixel, which is not nearly enough to "image" the space.  And even if we use "infinite" megapixels, the space is not truly rendered because it now exists on a 2D CCD array.  And the positioning of the CCD pixels to produce a distinguishable image falls under Nyquist theory.  Now let's take a step back even further. The picture we have exists *only* in 2D space, so to reconstruct 3D space, we must now develop another technique, such as stereo imaging, triangulation, time-of-flight, and others.  The bases for these principles fall under Nyquist principles.  And, to take this further, so does the human retina itself.  

I hope this string of thought helps to illustrate my principle--that even though a source, input, or output may be limited, there are permutations that don't follow the "rules" that we've been designing for the past several centuries.  

I asked:
"4) do you believe it is the job of the audio designer to address these topics? If so, which type of designer should take the lead?"

Mr. Lavry replied:
"Please clarify what you mean by “an audio designer”. In our industry there are both “ear types”, and “technical types”. I do not think the ear types can be expected to lead audio in a technical arena. I have seen occasions where unqualified ear types claim the lead, such as in the case for 192KHz sampling.

I know many dozens of EE (technical types), and the majority do not get into signal theory. Many are into computers, and are too busy with their issue. Most designers of AD and DA converters are pretty weak on the theory side, and are busy buying ready made IC’s solutions, to be “glued” on a printed circuit board, into a fancy chassis and out the door.

But there are those that know the technical issues. You will be amazed at the consensus regarding 192KHz when the issue is discussed privately. People just do not want to take a stand against their companies.

I can afford to be a 192KHz whistle blower, because I own my company. No one will demote me or fire me. Is it my job to take the lead? I am not sure. It would be easier to just glue those IC’s on the boards. Instead, I took weeks and months to PROTEST."

I reply:
By audio designer, I mean an owner or employee of a company such as yours, that creates audio products for mass or niche consumption.  How far should the designer of a product drive the market?  Should the designer expect the rest of the industry to follow their lead?  

I asked:
"5) do you believe the reconstruction phase low-pass filters are becoming good enough for us to overcome the infinite support in the spatial domain?
7) how do you calculate the convolution of the sinc function?"

Mr. Lavry replied:
"Let me take a rain check on the last 3… work calls!

BR
Dan Lavry"

I reply:
Thanks for your responses on the first 4.  I look forward to the others if you have time.  

REGARDING MR. LAVRY'S POST ON TYING A STRING AROUND A SPHERICAL BODY AND MXERYUS'S POST ON "DOUBLE-CHECKING MR. LAVRY'S MATH AND NOT FINDING A SINGLE MATH MISTAKE":
I offer the following anecdote:
1) given: A = B
Now multiply both sides by A to achieve:
2) A*A = A*B
Now subtract B*B from both sides:
3) A*A - B*B = A*B - B*B
Now factor both sides:
4) (A + B) * (A - B) = B * (A - B)
Now divide both sides by (A - B):
5) A + B = B
What happened here?!!!???!  The math was "good" but the result was wrong!!??!  How can equation (1) be the same as equation (5)?

Another "funny" way of saying this is:
"Using statistics, I can prove that the average human being has exactly one testicle!"  

It is important to remember in math that it is a useful tool, but it must be applied to the correct situation.  This correct situation in mathematics is often referred to as "assumptions."  Hence, my question on the 96kHz sampling rate being the "end all, be all" of sampling relates not to the math, but its application.  I see a lot of people throwing 192kHz, 96kHz, etc. numbers around, but really what are we achieving by all of this?  I don't believe it's anybody's duty to "prove" that we must not go beyond 96kHz.  I DO believe it is all of our duties to get to the realities of the physics, math, anomalies, and even perhaps a bit of intuition to progress the art of audio.  

In a previous topic that was grossly derailed, I was asked to "define" what I consider to be the "ideal" sampling rate, and I declined to comment because of the tone that the message board had adopted.  Before I make such a comment, I must be sure that we are all on the same page as to what must be achieved.  But I can say this: if microphone techniques and speaker techniques suddenly demand different approaches to A/D and D/A, and the devices are not ready because the capable designers decided to "disprove the industry" rather than re-define it, I will feel slightly ripped-off, because our lifetimes are precious.  

Sincerely,
My World

Nika Aldrich

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 12:23:43 PM »

mxeryus wrote on Tue, 23 November 2004 12:24

We seem to mix up the higher sample rate and the frequency range.... A higher sample rate (192 kHz vs. 44.1 kHz) is nothing more ore less than a higher number of samples taken per second.

Right, which increases maximum recordable frequency and nothing more.

Quote:

A higher bit rate (24 or more vs. 16) will give a more detailed sample.

Will give us lower quantization error, or lower noise, more specifically.

Quote:

The combination of 192 kHz and 24 bit's will result in very, very detailed samples.

Will give us lower quantization error and the ability to record higher frequencies - nothing more.

Quote:

One of the RESULTS of using the higher sample rate is that we have the theoretical (but not practical) possibility of recording a wider frequency range (which is absolutely useless,

No, that is the ONLY result of using higher sample rates.  There is no other (ignoring latency for a moment).

Nika.
"Digital Audio Explained" now available on sale.

Click above for sample chapter, table of contents, and more.

Nika Aldrich

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 12:30:36 PM »

mxeryus wrote on Wed, 24 November 2004 02:34

Technically speaking (and/or from another point of view), I still insist that a recording session at 192 KHz sample rate will be very detailed (each 1/192,000 second is sampled).

Roger,

I don't know exactly how to go into this gently, but what you are insinuating is erroneous.  

Shannon proved in 1949 that if you take a waveform that is band limited to f and you sample it at even intervals of time, greater than 2f, then you will capture enough information about that waveform with which to completely accurately recreate it in phase, frequency, and amplitude.  The proof tells us that you will capture enough information with which to reproduce it 100% accurately.

Given that, how do you improve upon this by sampling more often?  If you have enough information with which to reconstruct the waveform with 100% accuracy, then how do you get greater accuracy by sampling more often?

Let me put this a different way - take a waveform.  Do a Fourier Transform to it so you end up with its frequency vs. amplitude and its phase vs. amplitude.  Now, what Shannon says is that if you sample this waveform and then reconstruct the waveform and then do a Fourier Transform on the results that the results will PERFECTLY overlay against the original.  Given that, how are you intending to improve upon this by sampling more often?

Nika

Nika Aldrich

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 12:47:35 PM »

My World wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 04:01

REGARDING MR. LAVRY'S POST ON TYING A STRING AROUND A SPHERICAL BODY AND MXERYUS'S POST ON "DOUBLE-CHECKING MR. LAVRY'S MATH AND NOT FINDING A SINGLE MATH MISTAKE":
I offer the following anecdote:
1) given: A = B
Now multiply both sides by A to achieve:
2) A*A = A*B
Now subtract B*B from both sides:
3) A*A - B*B = A*B - B*B
Now factor both sides:
4) (A + B) * (A - B) = B * (A - B)
Now divide both sides by (A - B):
5) A + B = B
What happened here?!!!???!  The math was "good" but the result was wrong!!??!  How can equation (1) be the same as equation (5)?

You divided by zero in step 4.  What you attempted to do was divide out A-B from each side.  A-B is 0, however, since A and B are the same, so dividing each side by A-B is undefined, not (A+B) and (B).  

What you have proven, here, is that if you don't know how to do the math then you are likely to get the wrong results.  I think we can all agree with that!

Quote:

Another "funny" way of saying this is:
"Using statistics, I can prove that the average human being has exactly one testicle!"

Yes, that would sure be a funny way of saying that you used the math wrong.  I think any statistician knows you can't divide by zero.

Quote:

It is important to remember in math that it is a useful tool, but it must be applied to the correct situation.

And you must do it properly.

Quote:

This correct situation in mathematics is often referred to as "assumptions."

That is absolutely false.

Quote:

In a previous topic that was grossly derailed, I was asked to "define" what I consider to be the "ideal" sampling rate, and I declined to comment because of the tone that the message board had adopted.  Before I make such a comment, I must be sure that we are all on the same page as to what must be achieved.  But I can say this: if microphone techniques and speaker techniques suddenly demand different approaches to A/D and D/A, and the devices are not ready because the capable designers decided to "disprove the industry" rather than re-define it, I will feel slightly ripped-off, because our lifetimes are precious.  

First we ascertain the boundaries of the receiving device.  Then we find a system that exceeds those boundaries.  Anything beyond that is excessive.

Nika.

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2004, 01:53:16 AM »

It would be very difficult to construct 3-D space from 2-D equations unless you start reconstructing the source, and I don't mean in the A/D filter.  The A/D must simply accommodate this reconstruction.  Look at the interference properties of spatial media.  Also to correct a misnomer I have seen on these boards, Harry Nyquist did not win a Nobel Prize, though his work was indeed profound.  

Nika, you win the prize!!  That is correct, the reason the (A + B = B) equation does not match the (A = B) equation is because it involved a violation of the "initial condition" of the equation.  This is also one of the reasons we translate response curves into the "s" domain.  

Sincerely,
My World

mxeryus

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2004, 03:04:20 AM »

Morning, math/science class!
Dan, you mentioned "presentation" and "information" (although in a different context). My first post was based upon "presentation", while you are starting from "information" (Nyquist). Maybe it is a good time to (re)define some terms, not for this forum, but in general. The mix-up of terms describing frequency bandwidth, sample rates etc. is quite common these days...

Nika, just go ahead, don't be too gentle! This forum has always been very useful and I learned a lot from it. Still learning, as a matter of fact and enjoying the conversations.

Roland Storch

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2004, 05:27:47 AM »

Nika Aldrich wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 17:30

Shannon proved in 1949 that if you take a waveform that is band limited to f and you sample it at even intervals of time, greater than 2f, then you will capture enough information about that waveform with which to completely accurately recreate it in phase, frequency, and amplitude.  The proof tells us that you will capture enough information with which to reproduce it 100% accurately.

I agree without any exeption.

Now in real world, what is it that on most converters people prefer 96k sampling to 48k? In theory it should sound the same at each sampling rate. Is it that the reconstrustion process does not work as perfect as it should in theory? And could the higher sampling rate just be an easy workaround for this unideal behaviour of reconstruction filters?

Or a provocative statement:
poorly constructed converters need higher frequencies than 48k and really good ones (behaviour in practice close to theory) only need 48k.

Nika Aldrich

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2004, 09:50:30 AM »

My World wrote on Thu, 02 December 2004 01:53

It would be very difficult to construct 3-D space from 2-D equations unless you start reconstructing the source, and I don't mean in the A/D filter.

What in the world are you talking about, here?  While sound travels three-dimensionally, it's response at the ear is absolutely two dimensional.  It yields binary transmission to the brain, the result of 2 dimensional waves on the basilar membrane, the result of 2 dimensional movement of the oval window, which is the result of 2 dimensional movement of the ossicles.  By the time the sound hits the ossicles it is absolutely 2 dimensional, though we could argue that even at the eardrum it's response is purely 2 dimensional.  At any given point source, sound is 2 dimensional.

Why, then, are you trying to show the need for higher sample rate recording by talking about 3 dimensions all of a sudden?  What does "constructing a 3-D space" have to do with anything?  Are you talking about simulating reverbs or something?  Please, help.  I can't tell where you're going at all with this.  I don't see any possible way in which this relates to sample frequency needs, EQs at 192kHz, or anything else discussed in this thread.  I can't tell what your intent is here at all.

Quote:

Also to correct a misnomer I have seen on these boards, Harry Nyquist did not win a Nobel Prize, though his work was indeed profound.

Wow, haven't seen that one up here!  

Quote:

That is correct, the reason the (A + B = B) equation does not match the (A = B) equation is because it involved a violation of the "initial condition" of the equation.

If it's a bogus statement then why did you use it?  Were you trying to show that Dan Lavry doesn't know how to do math or something?  Geez!?  

Quote:

This is also one of the reasons we translate response curves into the "s" domain.

What does this have anything to do with response curves or reasons you might or might not transfer them between domains?  

Nika

Nika Aldrich

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2004, 09:55:52 AM »

Roland Storch wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 05:27

Now in real world, what is it that on most converters people prefer 96k sampling to 48k? In theory it should sound the same at each sampling rate. Is it that the reconstrustion process does not work as perfect as it should in theory? And could the higher sampling rate just be an easy workaround for this unideal behaviour of reconstruction filters?

Or a provocative statement:
poorly constructed converters need higher frequencies than 48k and really good ones (behaviour in practice close to theory) only need 48k.

The reconstruction filters are costly (relatively speaking) to design transparently.  Short cuts are taken in this regard, especially on cost-saving equipment.  There is also a trade-off between amount of filtering and amount of latency.  The steeper the filter the narrower the transition band.   The narrower the transition band the longer the impulse response of the filter.  The longer the impulse response the more calculations.  The more calculations the greater the latency.  The longer the latency the less it is appropriate for some situations.  Also, the more calculations the more onboard DSP and RAM the chip must have (thus the expense part).

Having said that, there are converters that meet the balance of audible transparency and latency that are on the market.  I don't know of anyone who has complained about the converters for the Sony Oxford, for example.  There are others as well.

Nika

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 11:34:04 AM »

Roland Storch wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 04:27

could the higher sampling rate just be an easy workaround for this unideal behaviour of reconstruction filters?

Yes and no. The reconstruction advantage can be realized by up sampling the data without needing to store it at the higher sample rate. The anti-aliasing filter used in recording might perform better although again most designs begin with a higher sample rate.

My best guess, based on what I've been told about the design of the gear and algorithms I like the best, is that most of this is about mathematical precision and about exactly how signals are reduced in precision to store or to further process them.

Timeline

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2004, 02:35:24 PM »

I just produce and engineer music. I listen to it.  I'm not a brainiac like you guys.

I do hear the difference on my MOTU HD192 IO's between 48k and 96k but I don't get one thing.

Why the big push to create 192KHZ IO's out there when most of them are
using cheap 2 dollar input differential amps and not putting as much effort into sonic sounding perfect circuitry to improve sound AT THE FRONT END, for Gods sake?

This whole business of worrying about the density between 96k and 192 pales by comparison to the difference before the digital conversion, in my humble opinion.

Thanks
Gary Brandt
Timeline

Peter Simonsen

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2004, 06:41:35 AM »

Timeline wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 19:35

I

using cheap 2 dollar input differential amps and not putting as much effort into sonic sounding perfect circuitry to improve sound AT THE FRONT END, for Gods sake?
Thanks

Hmm You quess is as good as mine, but my major quess would be..For the love and sake of MONEY !!! and by the way most are not even using 2 dollar opamps  Sad  more likely in the cents range..*S*

Kind regards

Peter
http://www.psl-design.dk

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.>>Søren kirkegaard>
>>Its not a dream Peter is real<<

ammitsboel

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2004, 07:13:15 AM »

Timeline wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 19:35

I just produce and engineer music. I listen to it.  I'm not a brainiac like you guys.

I do hear the difference on my MOTU HD192 IO's between 48k and 96k but I don't get one thing.

This whole business of worrying about the density between 96k and 192 pales by comparison to the difference before the digital conversion, in my humble opinion.
Thanks

Yes, and what about the input buffers in the chips? It's a never ending story to make a true high quality converter.

"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2004, 03:24:31 AM »

I wrote:
"It would be very difficult to construct 3-D space from 2-D equations unless you start reconstructing the source, and I don't mean in the A/D filter."

Nika replied:
"What in the world are you talking about, here? While sound travels three-dimensionally, it's response at the ear is absolutely two dimensional. It yields binary transmission to the brain, the result of 2 dimensional waves on the basilar membrane, the result of 2 dimensional movement of the oval window, which is the result of 2 dimensional movement of the ossicles. By the time the sound hits the ossicles it is absolutely 2 dimensional, though we could argue that even at the eardrum it's response is purely 2 dimensional. At any given point source, sound is 2 dimensional.

Why, then, are you trying to show the need for higher sample rate recording by talking about 3 dimensions all of a sudden? What does "constructing a 3-D space" have to do with anything? Are you talking about simulating reverbs or something? Please, help. I can't tell where you're going at all with this. I don't see any possible way in which this relates to sample frequency needs, EQs at 192kHz, or anything else discussed in this thread. I can't tell what your intent is here at all."

I respond:
If a 2-dimensionally generated wave hits our 2-dimensional ear, then our ear can easily "find out" if the wave is 2-dimensional by moving a bit off-axis.  But if a 3-dimensionally generated wave hits our ear, we can struggle all day to tell the difference, with no success.  

I wrote:
"That is correct, the reason the (A + B = B) equation does not match the (A = B) equation is because it involved a violation of the "initial condition" of the equation."

Nika replied:
"If it's a bogus statement then why did you use it? Were you trying to show that Dan Lavry doesn't know how to do math or something? Geez!?"

I respond:
No, I was trying to show: 1) a good mathematical operation does not always work depending on the assumptions or initial conditions; 2) that the "boundary conditions" of equations sometimes become asymptotic or unstable, particulary in "practice;" 3) If the "assumptions" are only approximations of the intent, then the results can only be this good; 4) in short, math is only as good as its application.  

My overall point is that even if we use a 2-d microphone, we can still reconstruct a 3-d sound.  This has nothing to do with stereo, or even surround sound...it is based more on the principles of interferometry (of various sorts) and data processing.  You can reference the various sorts of interferometry techniques...  The underlying message was as above: that a 2-d generated sound, even if it follows the 2-d rules, will still be 2-d.  I have yet to see how a sinc function, or the intersection of some of the transforms will easily move into the 3-d sonic realm.  Even if the sinc function becomes a simple "revolved body," we will have to start applying massive computational tools.  The interferometry example is just one of many, but it is a good start.  

I wrote:
"This is also one of the reasons we translate response curves into the "s" domain."

Nika replied:
"What does this have anything to do with response curves or reasons you might or might not transfer them between domains?"

I reply:
It has to do with transfering between domains because if we don't do so, the math becomes hairy.  But translating between domains often imposes a new set of restrictions.  In the case of the Laplace transform, it is an easy restriction to overcome, but even then, when sinusoidal matters are considered we are still restricted to l.o.d.e.'s (linear ordinary differential equations).  Yet, for some of the transformations there evolve a new set of anomalies, similar to exist in our regular physical world, and unless we really understand them, we could be losing our efficacy.  The s-domain is nice because it lets us work with time-based equations without the presence of that "annoying" time variable.  

I ask you this: why hasn't holography become our standard television set?  Only because of computational time.  But this should change in 10 years...perhaps 20 years.  We have had the tools for decades but not the horsepower.  At some point, we will have to work with non-linear solutions, and possibly resect (back-calculate) some unknowns iteratively.  I previously posed the question of whether people would mind if they have to wait 30 minutes after the singer tracks the vocal performance for the results to appear in the computer...  I am curious as to peoples' response to this, because everybody says they want "perfect sound," but how many of them are willing to give up working in "real time."  Hopefully this will not be a by-product of all of our progress, but it could very well be so.  Only now are autostereoscopic displays starting to emerge ... 30 years after the introduction of the "3D Movie."  And the current autostereoscopic displays are far from holography.  Only recently has surround sound started to emerge ... decades after the visual anecdote.  Consider the limitations of surround sound: the viewer must be in an "optimal" position relative to the speakers!  How can we consider this a 3d reproduction of a real event?  How long will it take for true 3d spatial sonic reconstruction to take place?  It's up to the designers...

Sincerely,
My World

Nika Aldrich

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2004, 10:48:01 AM »

My World wrote on Mon, 06 December 2004 03:24

I respond:
If a 2-dimensionally generated wave hits our 2-dimensional ear, then our ear can easily "find out" if the wave is 2-dimensional by moving a bit off-axis.  But if a 3-dimensionally generated wave hits our ear, we can struggle all day to tell the difference, with no success.

First, what does ANY of this have to do with high frequency sampling?

We DO create a 3D waveform simply by putting two speakers out there and reproducing the sound with both.  As you move your head slightly you can tell whether or not you are still in the sweetspot - the sweetspot being merely one point of convergence of the sound of those two speakers.

I'm really lost as to how this train of thought has anything to do with high frequency sampling, though.  It sounds to me like you are trying to find an avenue with which to use the math skills you're learning about without really comprehending the basis of discussion.  And you are very, very convinced that you are right about something, here, but don't know what it is and can't seem to convince anyone of this - including some pretty highly regarded theorists and mathematicians in the crowd.  Why don't you put together a paper to present at an AES convention or something on the subject?

Quote:

4) in short, math is only as good as its application.

So you were saying that Dan Lavry's application of the math is bogus or something?  I'm still at a loss of why you were bringing bogus math in here to answer a very valid point that Dan Lavry raised about human intuition and mathematical reality.

Quote:

Consider the limitations of surround sound: the viewer must be in an "optimal" position relative to the speakers!  How can we consider this a 3d reproduction of a real event?  How long will it take for true 3d spatial sonic reconstruction to take place?  It's up to the designers...

Again, the relationship between this and high sample frequencies is... ?

Nika

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2004, 01:44:58 PM »

Sonic holography is very interesting however my understanding, based on conversations with the son of its inventor, is that bandwidth is not important from an acquisition standpoint.

That said, for many years a cartoon-like characterization of the real sound has been our preferred medium of musical communication. This is at least partly due to the removal of the music's visual context. In fact the difference between sound without picture and sound for different sizes of picture is absolutely striking.

We've had the technology to reproduce music with startling realism for many years but choose not to for reasons of effective communication.

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2004, 08:00:44 PM »

That's a good point, Bob.  By sonic holography are you referring to Bob Carver's design for stereo preamps?  Or a more general term of generating visual holographs from sonic energy, or something different?  I'm thinking along the techniques used by (for example) moire and michelson interferometry.  This would fall more in the realm of "measurement" rather than "visualization."  The reason the a/d signal might have to be different is because there would have to be a reference matrix, and it would take a set-up involving a sample sync'd in 3-d.  

So we're a level deeper than just sampling energy.  Now we have to sample the energy, but also the interactions of the energy.  Highly computational stuff, and possibly non-linear.  So if it's non-linear, then the standard tools we have for designing converters will have to change.  If the sinc function can't do the job in 3D, we might have to revert back to a linear algorithm where we have total sampling certainty.  To do this, we're looking at much, much larger (integratively larger) sampling rates, and the sampling rates to observe the interactions would have to be even higher.  There may be a Nyquist limit, but it would be a different animal altogether.  

If we can truly determine the interferometric pattern with less, and prove it, then things get easier...  

Again, the interferometric approach is just one suggestion.  

Sincerely,
My World

Nika Aldrich

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2004, 10:51:56 AM »

My World wrote on Tue, 07 December 2004 20:00

So we're a level deeper than just sampling energy.  Now we have to sample the energy, but also the interactions of the energy.  Highly computational stuff, and possibly non-linear.  So if it's non-linear, then the standard tools we have for designing converters will have to change.

Why?  Are you saying converters can't capture non-linear events?  Where did Nyquist or Shannon go wrong?  Or are you just spouting WAGs and unsubstantiated theories as a basis for continuing to push on this emotionally convenient angle that we need higher sample frequencies?

Quote:

If the sinc function can't do the job in 3D, we might have to revert back to a linear algorithm where we have total sampling certainty.  To do this, we're looking at much, much larger (integratively larger) sampling rates, and the sampling rates to observe the interactions would have to be even higher.

Why?  Forget the sinc function. That's just one way to look at the math. There are other ways to look at it.  Where is the breakdown in the sampling certainty?  Can you show me how the current model does NOT provide sampling certainty?  Again, where did Nyquist and Shannon go wrong?  Remember, they said that those sampling points are enough to COMPLETELY represent the waveform.  Can you mathematically prove that false?  And how do you jump to the conclusion that we MUST, therefore, have much higher sampling rates?

Nika

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2004, 12:53:49 PM »

I'm talking about the guy who invented both visual and sonic holography. Sonic holography was developed for the US military.

Buzz

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2004, 04:47:58 PM »

SO what you guys are really saying is that the quality of a converter is in the analog/filtering section of the converter not the sample rate ????? ( assumimg 44.1 as a minimum )

Later
Buzz

PS: hence the cost of " good converters like Dans " ????

Nika Aldrich

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2004, 05:35:06 PM »

There's a logical fallacy in the way you phrased that.  There is no (so far found and substantiated) inherent benefit to higher sampling rates.  The advantage is an implementation benefit, and is most often dealt with in better quality converters.

There are many factors that make converters better, and the filtering is one of those aspects.  It is also the most direct factor in decreasing the difference in sample frequency.

Nika

Buzz

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2004, 05:40:43 PM »

Thanks Nika just trying to get a grasp on this whole concept !!! , I'm no math major so math does'nt do me much good at that level , just a good explanation of the facts works for me

Later
Buzz

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2004, 01:16:47 AM »

I wrote:
So we're a level deeper than just sampling energy. Now we have to sample the energy, but also the interactions of the energy. Highly computational stuff, and possibly non-linear. So if it's non-linear, then the standard tools we have for designing converters will have to change.

Nika replied:
Why? Are you saying converters can't capture non-linear events? Where did Nyquist or Shannon go wrong? Or are you just spouting WAGs and unsubstantiated theories as a basis for continuing to push on this emotionally convenient angle that we need higher sample frequencies?

I reply:
I'm saying that if we dramatically change the way we interpret sound, the conversion will have to follow.  The converters are just a tool we use to achieve a desired end.  If that end changes, the converter has to accommodate that change.  Regarding non-linearity, I am talking about the set of design equations rather than actual converter response.  By linear I mean mathematically linear (n linearly independent solutions for an n-th order o.d.e., or the analogue for a linear combination of linearly independent functions).  By nonlinear I mean unpredictable and hence iteratively determined (back-calculated).  Regardless of whether the interactions turn out to be linear, can be approximated as such, or are completely unpredictable, we will still have to come up with the new design criteria.  

I wrote:
If the sinc function can't do the job in 3D, we might have to revert back to a linear algorithm where we have total sampling certainty. To do this, we're looking at much, much larger (integratively larger) sampling rates, and the sampling rates to observe the interactions would have to be even higher.

Nika replied:
Why? Forget the sinc function. That's just one way to look at the math. There are other ways to look at it. Where is the breakdown in the sampling certainty? Can you show me how the current model does NOT provide sampling certainty? Again, where did Nyquist and Shannon go wrong? Remember, they said that those sampling points are enough to COMPLETELY represent the waveform. Can you mathematically prove that false? And how do you jump to the conclusion that we MUST, therefore, have much higher sampling rates?

I respond:
However you look at the math, if the design rules change, the math has to accommodate this.  Let's take a step back at the "waveform" you are talking about.  The waveform you are talking about is the result of a "dumb" interaction with a microphone.  The microphone does not know where the signal came from, how strong it originally was, or really, what angle of incidence the initial pressure was.  The vocalist could have been 100 feet away singing loudly or 10 feet away singing softly.  The singer could have bounced the sound off of a metal plate so the mic thinks the sound originated from the plate.  This is true whether we are talking about hypercardioid, omni, stereo micing, 5.1 micing, or whatever.  In our current set-up, the mics can be "fooled."  What I am talking about is sampling the sound intelligently, so the mic knows where the sound came from, what it bounced off of, and how tall the person was who sang it.  I am talking about an intelligent sound environment.  We have the tools to accomplish this, but the design is so involved for such a potentially small share of the market that it would be difficult to run a "real" audio company using this high-tech gadgetry.  But in 10 years, 20 years, who knows?  I encourage you to keep your eye out for a new shift in television--the autostereoscopic display.  It will start to hit the mainstream in 5 years, I estimate.  You will probably start to see them in department stores and in fancy corporate lobbies in 2-3 years.  After you see such a "3D Television" you will never be able to watch a regular TV again.  But even these autostereoscopic displays are "illusions."  What I am talking about is actual 3D sonic measurement--the measurement of sound in 3D space--and subsequent re-creation.  Regarding your insistence on "mathematically proving that false," they did so when they designed the theorem--they based it on a set of assumptions that may not always hold true.  Your asking me to say we "must" have higher rates doesn't really make sense for what I am proposing.  I am simply pointing out that the application of their math was based on assumptions.  If we understand the assumptions then we understand the limitations.  If we understand the limitations then we know where *not* to apply the equations.  I am suggesting that sampling rates are tied to the application, and that Pro Audio is in its infancy of infancies.  Sometimes we as a society try to give ourselves too much credit for our accomplishments...we should take a step back and realize the enormity of what is out there.  Just because a "theorem" is convenient and elegant doesn't mean it will solve all of humankind's problems.  

Sincerely,
My World

danlavry

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2004, 01:58:08 PM »

“I respond:
However you look at the math, if the design rules change, the math has to accommodate this.”

The only thing you need to do is to sample at over twice the bandwidth, with some convenient and practical margin.

Let's take a step back at the "waveform" you are talking about. The waveform you are talking about is the result of a "dumb" interaction with a microphone. The microphone does not know where the signal came from….
Sincerely,
My World

Whatever you wish for has nothing to do with converters, equalizers, amps…. Each piece of gear will process a 2 dimensional signal: One dimension is time, the other is “signal strength” at any given time. Signal strength may be expressed as voltage, current or energy,  the idea is to make it correspond to a 2 dimensional air motion which is the sound.

What you call dumb interaction with a microphone can be enhanced by adding a channel
(or more) and that will take 2 or more waveforms. Whatever you are dissatisfied with needs to be solved elsewhere (if possible). If the mic is too dumb and does not know where the signal came from, your issue is with microphones. And if and when you are done solving it, you will end up with more signal information (such as 2 mics or more). More information takes more bandwidth, and it all obeys Nyquist. You can have 1 channel of 96KHz carry the information of 2X48KHz channels (frequency division multiplexing).  

Nyquist and Shannon are general theories, and will not have to change for new or different applications. This is no different than say Ohms law. Such general well proven theories are the foundations of engineering.

Regards

Dan Lavry  

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »

I wrote:
"However you look at the math, if the design rules change, the math has to accommodate this.”

Dan Lavry responded:
"The only thing you need to do is to sample at over twice the bandwidth, with some convenient and practical margin."

I reply:
For a given sample set, if you choose to apply Nyquist, then you are bound by l.o.d.e.  That is like saying, if you apply Ohm's Law, you are restricted to the limitations thereof.  Like Ohm's Law, Nyquist does not have far-reaching implications.  Ohm's Law does not work for all materials, and for any given material, R is not constant.  Ohm's Law, like Nyquist, provides a "first-order" approximation that is useful for many engineering applications, but not all.  It is an experimentally derived, "black box" formula that we all learn in high school Physics...but starts to degrade at higher levels.  In order to correct for this, it is necessary to apply more sophisticated design and analysis techniques.  Just because we call them "theorems" or "laws" does not mean they are universal.  They are only universal within the set of assumptions we are working with.  

I wrote:
"Let's take a step back at the "waveform" you are talking about. The waveform you are talking about is the result of a "dumb" interaction with a microphone. The microphone does not know where the signal came from….

Dan Lavy responded:
"Whatever you wish for has nothing to do with converters, equalizers, amps…. Each piece of gear will process a 2 dimensional signal: One dimension is time, the other is “signal strength” at any given time. Signal strength may be expressed as voltage, current or energy, the idea is to make it correspond to a 2 dimensional air motion which is the sound.

What you call dumb interaction with a microphone can be enhanced by adding a channel
(or more) and that will take 2 or more waveforms. Whatever you are dissatisfied with needs to be solved elsewhere (if possible). If the mic is too dumb and does not know where the signal came from, your issue is with microphones. And if and when you are done solving it, you will end up with more signal information (such as 2 mics or more). More information takes more bandwidth, and it all obeys Nyquist. You can have 1 channel of 96KHz carry the information of 2X48KHz channels (frequency division multiplexing).

Nyquist and Shannon are general theories, and will not have to change for new or different applications. This is no different than say Ohms law. Such general well proven theories are the foundations of engineering."

I reply:
Please see my comment on Ohm's Law above.  As for what I am proposing, it may be "enhanced", as you said by adding channels, but this does not solve the problem.  My approach does not necessarily mean adding more channels...but I am certain that the "solution" will involve cooperation from all sides of the house.  We could theoretically use a single microphone to capture this 3D  information, but in this case, Nyquist may fail to provide the necessary set of design criteria.  Note that a single microphone would not be as robust, but it is possible.  I believe what I am wishing for does have to do with converters because even for the 2-D waveform (time and strength as you stated), if this extrapolation to 3D is to occur, then the converter must somehow be involved.  This is because whatever "intelligence" the microphone derives from this new process must be accommodated by the conversion process.  This "intelligence" would be able to treat the waveform as 3-D instead of 2-D.  

Sincerely,
My World

danlavry

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2004, 06:52:16 PM »

I (MyWorld) wrote:

I reply:
Ohm's Law does not work for all materials, and for any given material, R is not constant.

DAN:
Ohms Law does not require constant R and DOES work for all materials.

Ohm's Law, like Nyquist, provides a "first-order" approximation that is useful for many engineering applications, but not all.

DAN:
You are wrong. Nyquist is not an approximation. It is not first order or second order…There are a lot of concepts that are approximations. But there are concepts that are pure and true and solid, like 1+1=0. It is true that 1 inch of wire is an approximation so 1 inch plus 1 inch of wire is approximately 2 inches. But the pure number 1 is exactly one so 1+1=2! Nyquist is pure, not a subject to be modified. It stands up to non linearity, to quantization or anything else you throw at it. Period!.

Regards
Dan Lavry

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2004, 07:58:29 PM »

1) In semi-conducting elements like diodes, Ohm's law is not obeyed at all.  

Dan,

2) When I said "first order" I meant what is referred to in engineering terms as "rough order of magnitude".  It is not the end-all, be-all solution, but provides a useful starting point.  Even Einstein's brilliant relativity theory later required correction factors for practical applications.  But somehow his theories hold up well enough in their original form to give us fission, nuclear power, and certainly an in-depth exploration into gravity and space/time.  This is getting into the nitty, itty, bitty, gritty of design factors and perturbation theory.  

3) The Nyquist you are referring to is different from the Nyquist I am referring to.  You are discussing sampling energy created from a microphone transducer.  I am talking about sampling the propogation of sound outside of the microphone, using the microphone as one portion of the setup.  The information required to satisfy my setup may be entirely different than the information required to satisfy yours.  

4) The non-linearities you are referring to are in the sonic information.  The non-linearities I am referring to are in the design equations used to interpret that sound.  And, as I said in (3), the information we are trying to sample is very different.  

5) Finally, again, we are not discussing the math.  We are discussing the application of the math(!!!)  I am saying that you are promoting a certain design, and I am promoting an entirely different design.  My design, again, is based on an "intelligent system" that not only takes in sound, but also knows everything about the sound before it even entered the microphone.  This is done computationally.  Do you honestly, in your heart of hearts, believe that the current A/D algorithms will support this?  And are you willing to take that chance without seriously looking at the design criteria?  Remember: Nyquist's work was general about sampling.  The concept of limiting to 96kHz is specific to a given application.  

Sincerely,
My World

danlavry

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2004, 08:49:54 PM »

Dan,

1) In semi-conducting elements like diodes, Ohm's law is not obeyed at all.

It is obeyed, and the resistance may be a diode curve, temperature dependent or what not....

2) And when I said "first order" I meant what is referred to in engineering terms as "rough order of magnitude". It is not the end-all, be-all solution, but provides a useful starting point. Even Einstein's brilliant relativity theory later required correction factors.

It is not Eienstin....

3) The Nyquist you are referring to is different from the Nyquist I am referring to. You are discussing sampling energy created from a microphone transducer. I am talking about sampling the propogation of sound outside of the microphone, using the microphone as one portion of the setup. The information required to satisfy my setup may be entirely different than the information required to satisfy yours.

There is only one Nyquist theory. PLEASE STOP IT!!!

4) The non-linearities you are referring to are in the sonic information. The non-linearities I am referring to are in the design equations used to interpret that sound. And, as I said in (3), the information we are trying to sample is very different.

The non linearity I talk about can be in a device, in a computation or what not!!!!!

5) Finally, again, we are not discussing the math. We are discussing the application of the math(!!!)

Nyquist hold for the application of math. If the application introduces non linearity, noise or what not, it behaves as the theory dictates. (!!!!!!!!!!)  

You are obviously not an EE, not a mathematician, not an electronics designer, and this thread is leading nowhere. Can you please take those concepts elsewhere?

Regards
Dan Lavry
(Moderator)

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2004, 10:03:04 PM »

Dan,

Okay.  I will stop posting.  It is your forum.  It is so wonderful to hear that you do not consider me a mathematician, designer, when what I am discussing has obviously not been grasped, nor considered.  As I mentioned, these technologies are perhaps 20 years away from a practical reality, yet you claim ownership of them as if they are here today?!?  Even so, these technolgies are real.  There is a frequent poster on R/E/P who has, as his signature, the statement: "There are two types of fools: one says this is old, and therefore good; the other says, this is new, and therefore better."  As for me, I do not try to make judgment as to what is good, better, or best.  I simply enjoy conversing about what could be.  I will not post on any of your forums again.  

Sincerely,
My World

Timeline

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2004, 01:03:56 PM »

Dan,

First of all, THANK YOU for having these discussions. I know I really appreciate it and know how difficult and time consuming it must be for you. I have learned quite a bit from these arguments pro and con but I'm a bit confused by it all.

Would you consider suggesting a standard of measurement and proceedures in which the current commercially available multichannel IO's, especially MOTU, ProTools, RME, etc., can be tested and compared to one-another? Or, would YOU consider a shoot-off as an article for us?  

Talking theory is great reading but we could use a more physical evaluation so we can purchase the right gear. I do only 96K recording and it sounds like it may be time to find out who's doing it well.

Thanks,

Gary Brandt
Producer/Engineer
Timeline
Gary Brandt
Timeline
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.