R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MS using dirty SF?  (Read 3698 times)

Immanuel Kuhrt

MS using dirty SF?
« on: November 14, 2004, 02:06:50 PM »

I found this on the net from a source I have had great trust in for years now. I am on win98 here, and my XP PC is taken apart these days. So I have not thad the chance to test this out yet myself:

It seems that Microsoft used an Illegal copy of Soundforge 4.5 for working on WAV files in Windows XP.

IF you think this is just a rumor then go view it yourself by using a text editor to open any WAV files in map C:/Windows/Help/Tours/WindowsMediaPlayer/Audio/Wav/ at your harddisk.

The last line of the file shows you:

LISTB INFOICRD 2000-04-06 IENG Deepz0ne ISFT Sound Forge 4.5

Deepz0ne is a cracker in the Radium Group.
Disclaimer - I ain't no pro

tptman

Re: MS using dirty SF?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 01:56:50 PM »

Interesting.

You don't even need to use notepad. For example, if I open that wav file in my copy (legal!) of Adobe Audition, and choose wave properties, it shows the "Software Package" field as Sound Forge, and the "Engineer" as Deepz0ne.

I'm sure MS didn't do that stuff in house. They out source this kind of thing to some studio who must have been using the cracked software.

It does present a bit of a black eye for MS, since most people don't understand that. Hopefully MS has found out about it and is not using that contractor again.

Peter "tptman" Green
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 17 queries.