R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: using the optical IN of a G5 after a lavry blue AD, to record.  (Read 4787 times)

7eciel

using the optical IN of a G5 after a lavry blue AD, to record.
« on: October 22, 2004, 01:17:55 PM »

Since the Lavry has only AES out, I saw that Maudio converter AES/optical/spdif.
So I want to go from the Lavry to the converter, then the optical in of the mac G5.

Does anyone know if I would be facing some latency or/and quality issues from the converting AES/optical?

Thanks for sharing your experiences....

J.

danlavry

Re: using the optical IN of a G5 after a lavry blue AD, to record.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 03:47:54 PM »

7eciel wrote on Fri, 22 October 2004 18:17

Since the Lavry has only AES out, I saw that Maudio converter AES/optical/spdif.
So I want to go from the Lavry to the converter, then the optical in of the mac G5.

Does anyone know if I would be facing some latency or/and quality issues from the converting AES/optical?

J.

A straight forward conversion from AES to optical (or visa versa) does not impact latency. Such hardware is a tiny fraction of a usec delay.

Optical link, as a rule, make more jitter then electrical connections. Where can it hurt? I would not worry about it for digital data transfer, such as going from AD to computer.

The place where such jitter does matter is when sending data to a DA. A good DA can Handel a lot of jitter. A poor DA will not remove jitter well, and so optical may have an impact.

The last time I looked, I did not see a single optical link spaced well enough to run 192KHz AES (or spdif). There are some devices that do 96KHz fine, but most AES transmitters and receivers on the market are for 44-48KHz. Make sure you get what you need.

The early Toshiba TOSLINK (optical) devices provide 12.8MB/s bandwidth spec, and that was aiming the 44.1-48KHz market. The newer devices I saw are at 15MB/s, not really a X2 factor one would wish for 96KHz, but one can squeak a 96KHz data through it.

BR
Dan Lavry  

bobkatz

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 04:55:44 PM »

7eciel wrote on Fri, 22 October 2004 13:17

J.

Depending on the model of converter, you'll either see no latency at all (the latency of a couple of gates, a few nanoseconds or less), or up to 2 samples latency (which might as well be no latency at all).

If the converter is a simple "passive" unit which does not change the channel sample bits or "reclock" with a PLL, then it is simply a hardware format device, just a "wire to optical" converter, nothing special.

If the converter is more complex, employing a PLL and format conversion between AES and SPDIF channel status, etc., then the latency may be up to a couple of samples, again pretty insignificant.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

7eciel

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 08:29:11 AM »

Thanks very much for both of the answers.

I've been told that the optical in of the G5 are limited to 48Khz. I would like to work at 44,1, so it will be ok, even with the Maudio converter. I will also pay attention to the DA I will use to monitor.

Thanks again

J.

macca

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 06:42:52 PM »

does anyone have any recommendations for convertors to get from AES out to an optical (light pipe) in?  I am planning on using one to use a quality A/D convertor in connectin with my HD24XR

thanks

Roland Storch

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 02:33:48 AM »

7eciel wrote on Sat, 23 October 2004 13:29

Thanks very much for both of the answers.

I've been told that the optical in of the G5 are limited to 48Khz. I would like to work at 44,1, so it will be ok, even with the Maudio converter. I will also pay attention to the DA I will use to monitor.

Thanks again

J.

Are you shure that the optical in of the G5 is transparent for 24 bit?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 19 queries.