R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue and Gold  (Read 13485 times)

danlavry

Re: Discrete Gold?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 04:17:59 PM »

Hi Sam

Sam Lord wrote on Tue, 12 October 2004 03:22

Yo Dan, Dan!  So the core (at least) of the Gold ADC is discrete?  I'm about to keel over from desire, and I haven't even seen a picture of it!  I remember that Ultra Analog built discrete ADCs, and I think besides you, perhaps only Accuphase (in the civilian world) still does...very impressive.  Folks have been raving about the Blue on 3dB Audio and Gearslutz, so I'll troll around the Lavry website.  Congratulations and best wishes (fine forum, too), Sam    

If I am not mistaken, the Ultra Analog AD design was not all discrete. It was based on a 2 chip design by Bob Adams (now in Analog Devices). He is one heck of an engineer! He is the one that introduced sigma delta to audio. His first sigma delta design offered a significant improvement in dynamic range, I think it was 108dB or so, amazing in those days. Ultra Analog did repackage it. I am more familiar with the DA because it was a repackaging of a design I did as an employee for Analog Solution.

BR
Dan Lavry

Sam Lord

Re: Discrete Gold--Thanks for some history
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2004, 12:16:25 PM »

>>   ...If I am not mistaken, the Ultra Analog AD design was not all discrete. It was based on a 2 chip design by Bob Adams (now in Analog Devices). He is one heck of an engineer! He is the one that introduced sigma delta to audio...   <<

Dan, thank you for the clarification and history.  This forum has carried the most comprehensive discussion on the constraints and solutions in digital audio which I have yet read.  I worked on high end analog gear for some years, and appreciate the use of electrical ("analog") descriptions of difficult A/D and D/A challenges.  Regards, Sam  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.