R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 or 8 compressors  (Read 5653 times)

jdier

• Real Full Name: Jim Dier
4 or 8 compressors
« on: April 27, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »

I am a hobbyist with 16 channels of SCA N72's running into my Aurora 16.    I have some random compressors but not enough for when I track a band.

I am short on space so I cannot pick up 4 or 8 1176's.   I am wondering if anyone is aware of any rackmount multi channel compressors.   When I search I tend to come up with options that seem pointed at live sound.

I have considered buying another SCA rack and building 4 or 8 of their comps but I do not know much about them.

I would be happy to get 8 RNC's or 1176's in a 1U or 2U 19 rack.   

Does what I want exist?

Jim Dier - Home Recordist

Almost everything I have recorded is here: R. Mutt and DW

I blog some here: Jim's Sound Lab

Fletcher

Re: 4 or 8 compressors
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 09:22:12 AM »

The FMR Audio PBC-6A is the physical size of an RNC and the sonic size of a good LA-2A... then again, I'm a bit biased as it was designed for me a decade or so ago when I still worked at Mercenary Audio [notice the face panel colors... if you ever heard of Mercenary, that was its color scheme].

At the end of the day -- the linking functions are extraordinary [yes, it can do 5.1], the sonic textures are phenomenal... and the general audio quality is totally professional [not that the RNC's isn't... but PBC-6A's is a damn sight better].  For what you get in a little box -- you can't beat the "bang for the buck" factor... this thing is way more versatile and far better sounding than an 1176 [unless you get one that has been through the Record Plant, Media Sound, or Power Station modifications... but those ones are few and far between... and expensive as fuck IF you can find one].

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

jdier

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »

Thanks Fletcher.   I love the FMR stuff, but hate the form factor and the wall wart power supplies.    I owned 6X of RNC and RNLA but they were just too bulky in their vertical racks and all 6 of those wall warts killed me.

I did reach out to FMR about building a power supply that could supply them all, but they were not convinced that would be a good idea.

jdier

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 12:14:52 PM »

Oh, wait a second.   the FMR stuff is made for 500 series now.   I am going to look in to that.

jdier

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 12:16:17 PM »

The FMR Audio PBC-6A is the physical size of an RNC and the sonic size of a good LA-2A... then again, I'm a bit biased as it was designed for me a decade or so ago when I still worked at Mercenary Audio [notice the face panel colors... if you ever heard of Mercenary, that was its color scheme].

At the end of the day -- the linking functions are extraordinary [yes, it can do 5.1], the sonic textures are phenomenal... and the general audio quality is totally professional [not that the RNC's isn't... but PBC-6A's is a damn sight better].  For what you get in a little box -- you can't beat the "bang for the buck" factor... this thing is way more versatile and far better sounding than an 1176 [unless you get one that has been through the Record Plant, Media Sound, or Power Station modifications... but those ones are few and far between... and expensive as fuck IF you can find one].

Peace

Hey Fletcher.   Two things.   PBC-6A is coming to 500 format at some point according to Mark.

Also, is the Radial Komit the same Komit that you once were loving?    Is that a suitable solution for drums?

Fletcher

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 08:12:34 AM »

No idea about the Radial thing... it might be, it might not be... no idea.  If the PBC-6A is coming out in a 500 format... it will be more than worth the wait!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Jim Williams

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 11:27:44 AM »

I have a couple of Drawmer DL441's in the shop right now. Those are 4 channel comps with each pair stereo linked, if desired. They are a dbx 166 knock off with similar circuits. You get 4 in a one rack case.

Randyman...

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 12:11:34 PM »

What about the Hairball 500 series 1176's (called the "FET/500" series)?  They make A, D and F revisions.  Could easily get 8-10 of those in a 3RU lunchbox chassis.

If you are a DIY'er (as I assume you are with the SCA N72's - I love my SCA racks!) you can get them fairly cheap, and get the eight 1176's you desire in the space you require ;)
Randy Visentine
Semi-Pro Engineer

jdier

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 05:11:20 PM »

What about the Hairball 500 series 1176's (called the "FET/500" series)?  They make A, D and F revisions.  Could easily get 8-10 of those in a 3RU lunchbox chassis.

If you are a DIY'er (as I assume you are with the SCA N72's - I love my SCA racks!) you can get them fairly cheap, and get the eight 1176's you desire in the space you require ;)

I am a DIYer, but man, that 500 series stuff is a whole new level of small.   I watched the tutorial on mounting the level LED's and my eyes started to hurt.   Those might push the levels of my abilities!

jdier

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 05:12:58 PM »

My primary application is for tracking drums and I would be concerned that no attack control might not be a great idea for that.

Fletcher

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »

FWIW... I don't believe I've used compression when tracking drums more than maybe a half dozen times in my nearly 40 year career.  I suppose I might have a little bit back in the analog days due to the nature of tape -- but believe me when I tell you it was absolutely unintentional!!  When I was tracking drums in the analog domain -- using "VU" [Volume Unit -- as in "averaging" meters my levels were:  Kik = -10   SN = -7  Toms = -7 tp -5 [there could have been some compression going on there], H/H & Overheads = meters barely moving... I would often record room / ambience mics at -5 to -3 [definitely compression going on there... but still... it was tape compression which is a hell of a lot subtler than what you'll apply with any box].

The thing about tracking with compression is that you're stuck with it... there is no going back as you develop the rest of the song / presentation.  If you capture the drums properly in the first place... you can determine if you need to add a bit of compression here, or a bit of compression there as you move along with the overdubbing / mixing phases of the process.  There are SOOOOoooooo many things you need to think about when you're doing basics that oft times you can miss a little something here and there [which I forgot about a half dozen times in my career... and compressed drums while tracking].

Best of luck with all you do... just thought I'd share my 2¢

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Nobtwiddler

• R/E/P Forums
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »

I agree with Fletcher...
As I only use Compression on drums, when I'm trying to do something a bit over the top, like squashing room mics...
That is unless, the mix is live, and there is NO mix down..
Otherwise, no need, until mix.

Anyhow, these are good, I had them in my original mobile unit for years. worked great, sounded fine.
The Quad Comp
http://www.arxamerica.com/Analogue_Classics.html

These are also pretty nice, used them while doing sound for heavy rock bands a few years ago...
http://www.proaudiostar.com/klark-teknik-square-one-dynamics.html?utm_source=Google_Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-KntrtWz2wIV3rXACh2jbgfnEAQYAyABEgKcefD_BwE

and finally, the best of the best in a small form factor...
Literally amazing!
https://www.adt-audio.com/ProAudio/ToolModProAudio.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 22 queries.