R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Transformer T14/1 for a DIY ELA M251 ?  (Read 12927 times)

Avgatzeblouz

• Real Full Name: Manuel MARIE
Which Transformer T14/1 for a DIY ELA M251 ?
« on: May 09, 2018, 09:05:42 AM »

Hi everybody ! As I'm scouting the internet to find people experiences with current offer on T14/1 transformers, I find myself confused, as I found lots of posts all saying different things.

So I would like to have the advice from experienced people on this forum: what is to your opinion the closest replica one can find that matches the T14/1 found in the vintage ELAM 251 ? And is the current Haufe offering actually the real deal, and no need to look any further ?

Thanks a lot !

klaus

Re: Which T14/1 for a DIY 251 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »

On occasion I come across original, but blown T14/1 (it's always the primary that opens- it acts as a fast blow fuse when hot-plugging C12, C24 or ELAM 251).

I have ordered T14/1 periodically directly from Haufe since the 1980s, with my last order around 2000, and have found that they performed similar to the originals. Their spec sheets which I also requested on occasion, are unchanged.

However, to my knowledge, Telefunken USA contracted with Haufe which then made a special T14/1 version used in their ELA M251 copy. That version was bass-heavy, to compensate a bass-shy capsule they produced.  I don't have information whether this version T14/1 is still being made for Telefunken North America today.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Avgatzeblouz

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 09:52:37 AM »

Thanks, Klaus ! So Haufe it will be !

klaus

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »

Avgatzeblouz, I'll get the blues, too, if you don't play by the rules and identify yourself with your real name!

It's a simple rule that makes for an honest, respectful community.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

vinylwall

• Real Full Name: Jimi Ray
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 05:48:44 PM »

I have a new genuine Haufe T14/1 in a point-to-point C12 style DIY build using a genuine AKG CK-12, GE 5 Star 6072 tube in a FLEA body (built by Mark at OPR).  The Haufe was purchased early in 2017. 

I find the bass response in this microphone to be very accurate and pleasing.  I don't find the low end to be over-hyped and the high end response is exactly as would be expected with a C12 style build.   

Compared to the genuine FLEA 12's that I have, the low end is a little more pronounced in this build.  Hope that helps.
Jimi Ray

AusTex64

• Real Full Name: Robert Mokry
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 09:10:42 PM »

I’ve not used the Haufe, but have built several mics with the AMI/Tab Funkenwerk T14 and been quite pleased with the results.

klaus

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 01:56:17 AM »

Far is it from me to comment on other peoples' transformer choices, especially if they work out well.

Just a clarification, if I may: Oliver and I had plenty of (fruitless) discussions about the mythical "original Hiller T14" he so ably imitated and modified in  thousand varieties...

There are a couple of early C12 drawings mentioning T14, but in the hear and now, no one, including Oliver, has ever seen that transformer, let alone caught one inside an AKG mic.

If any of you have any images of a T14 I would love it! (Trying Google images did not lead to anything.)

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Avgatzeblouz

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 11:35:06 AM »

Avgatzeblouz, I'll get the blues, too, if you don't play by the rules and identify yourself with your real name!

It's a simple rule that makes for an honest, respectful community.

Oups, yes sorry ! Done. At least you did get the fun of the username, people usually miss it !

Avgatzeblouz

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 11:37:38 AM »

I have a new genuine Haufe T14/1 in a point-to-point C12 style DIY build using a genuine AKG CK-12, GE 5 Star 6072 tube in a FLEA body (built by Mark at OPR).  The Haufe was purchased early in 2017. 

I find the bass response in this microphone to be very accurate and pleasing.  I don't find the low end to be over-hyped and the high end response is exactly as would be expected with a C12 style build.   

Compared to the genuine FLEA 12's that I have, the low end is more pronounced in this build.  Hope that helps.
Jimi Ray

Great looking build ! Do you imply that current Haufe transformers could all be bass-heavy, and not just the ones made for Telefunken USA ?

vinylwall

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »

Great looking build ! Do you imply that current Haufe transformers could all be bass-heavy, and not just the ones made for Telefunken USA ?

No, and I don't have any first hand knowledge on Haufe T14/1's in anything other than the one microphone I have shown with it installed.  And keep in mind, it is a combination of the vintage CK12, GE 6072 and Haufe T14/1 giving these results.  I can't pinpoint it to just the Haufe transformer and I'm not willing to swap components to test.

I also have an UPTON 251 and Dallas uses his own T14 in those builds, but I can't say that my C12 type build is heavier on the low end than the UPTON 251.

vinylwall

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 01:40:32 PM »

I believe you are speaking of the larger Hiller-made T14, right Klaus?

Sorry, I meant Hiller T14. I corrected my previous post. KH

aremos

• Real Full Name: Ariel Remos
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 05:25:10 PM »

I also have an UPTON 251 and Dallas uses his own T14 in those builds, but I can't say that my C12 type build is heavier on the low end than the UPTON 251.

How does the Upton compare (besides that low end) to the custom-built with the AKG CK-12? Or, for that matter, to an original C12/Ela M251?

vinylwall

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 07:25:20 PM »

I’ve not used the Haufe, but have built several mics with the AMI/Tab Funkenwerk T14 and been quite pleased with the results.

I have Oliver's Hiller style T14 in another 251 type build (again Mark at OPR did for me).  I feel compared to the Hauf there is a dB or two less bottom.  I feel like the mids may be slightly hotter in Oliver's, but that could be the other component differences as well (new OPR CK12 Replica vs. Vintage AKG CK12 capsule.)  Both mics have the GE 6072 5-star tubes, but of course there could be variances there as well.

I can't speak to comparisons to original AKG C12's or ELA M 251's as I do not have any.

Avgatzeblouz

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 08:08:11 AM »

Hi Jimi, I sent you a PM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 24 queries.