R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M221 with Mylar m934c capsules  (Read 4397 times)

afterlifestudios

• Real Full Name: John Raham
M221 with Mylar m934c capsules
« on: October 13, 2017, 04:09:08 PM »

Does anyone have experience with Mylar versions of the m934c capsules on m221 amplifiers? I've used a pair with nickel capsules but, I have not heard the Mylar version.  Apparently they are not reskinned, but left the factory this way.  Is that likely?  Does anyone have any comparison info between the two membranes they could share?  (The amplifiers (mpedance converters) are proper Schoeps with ac701k's in them.

Thanks,
John

afterlifestudios

Re: M221 with Mylar m934c capsules
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 08:43:05 PM »

J. Mike Perkins

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:44:21 PM »

My Schoeps M221B has a Mylar MK24 capsule and it sounds great.  I realize that is a different capsule than the m934c, but I can tell you that before I purchased my 221B, I looked around at several of them and the prices seemed to be same for the nickel and Mylar capsule versions of the same mic. That would imply the market place values each about the same. Since I don't have a nickel MK24 capsule to compare to mine, I can't say each sounds exactly the same, but among users of the 221B, both capsule versions seem to be used interchangeably, so they must have a similar sound.  From a practical standpoint, the Mylar would have some advantages over the older nickel versions, since Mylar is more stable.   

Kai

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 03:17:35 AM »

... Mylar would have some advantages over the older nickel versions, since Mylar is more stable.
Absolutly not, nickel is the way to go if you want to build an, e.g. measurement microphone, because it can be made most stable.
Bruel & Kjaer, the world's reference for those mic's, build all their mic's with nickel and give stability figures for centuries!
The problem with mylar is, it's hard to make the edge termination/glueing (tensioning) and the metalisation permanent.
Nickel can be mounted by metal to metal connection without glue, and doesn't need to be metalized to make it conductive.
If nickel is your taste soundwise is on you and depends on the task, I can tell it does sound different to mylar, although I can only compare whole mic's, not the capsules alone.

David Satz

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »

I'm not 100% sure, but it's my impression that the M 934 C was always made with a Mylar diaphragm.

--About a dozen years ago I bought a pair of M 221 B microphones with M 934 B two-pattern capsules from a seller on eBay. I sent them to the factory for checkout and repair, and was told that one of the capsules was water-damaged and had received a new diaphragm. (The eBay seller had of course claimed that the capsules were in "perfect" condition ...)

I then used the capsules for live stereo recording as a pair of closely-spaced cardioids, just them and no others in the mix, no compression or EQ. I didn't notice any difference in sound quality between them. It occurred to me only later to ask Schoeps about the diaphragm replacement. Of course, the diaphragm had been replaced with Mylar.

No doubt careful measurements would have revealed some small response differences. Particularly if you subtract the one signal from the other, almost any two capsules--even a factory-matched pair of recent manufacture, using identical materials and manufacturing methods--will show some difference.

But my point is, during the weeks when I wasn't aware of having one capsule with Mylar and one with nickel, I never heard a difference. And I definitely listened to these recordings critically at the time.

For what it's worth.

--best regards

afterlifestudios

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 08:14:11 PM »

Thanks David.  That's very helpful.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 23 queries.