R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke Get In Your....  (Read 5611 times)

Blas

Smoke Get In Your....
« on: October 13, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »

Wish it was jus' my eyes, but nope in my cables.  I had done a mobile session that had my mobile gear set up for about 10 days.  I covered the DAW system, mic's were pulled but the canare cabling I have my tech create where let in place.  Well as I was packing off the rig, I realized the cig smoke had sifted from the bands upstairs living quarters down into my mic lines!  I do require no smoking around my gear, but wasn't wise enough to consider long term exposure to cables.

I picked up  a bottle of Fa-breeze (sp?) and wiped them down (which took hours) and packed 'em back up in my road case.  After almost 1 month later, I was horrified to open the case and get hit with that damn smell!  So, I am open to suggestions to remove the odor (and will charge new client's a cleaning fee, should it be in any location that there are butt-suckers). Idea's?? 
Conjecture and theory are all well and good...but the proof comes out of the speakers - Fletcher
He who has said the pen is mightier than the sword, has never been in a pen & sword fight!- me

Dan Mortensen

Re: Smoke Get In Your....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 01:13:01 PM »

I picked up  a bottle of Fa-breeze (sp?) and wiped them down (which took hours) and packed 'em back up in my road case.  After almost 1 month later, I was horrified to open the case and get hit with that damn smell!  So, I am open to suggestions to remove the odor (and will charge new client's a cleaning fee, should it be in any location that there are butt-suckers). Idea's??

Don't store them in road cases?

The most horrible smells (including when cables are new) will linger on for years if stored in closed containers, but will dissipate in weeks (maybe) if left in the open so the outgassing can occur and be replaced by clean air.

Putting a fan on them quickens the process.

Be patient and you won't notice the smell after a while. That's been my experience, anyway.

John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

• Real Full Name: John Scrip
Re: Smoke Get In Your....
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »

Armor All (original).  That'll take care of the smell *and* clean the surface of the cable. 

I used to soak a sponge with it and go to town.  Worked like a champ.  Tape residue, beer, smoke, etc.  I'd imagine Goof Off would work well also, but there was something nice about Armor All...  The "shine" and slickness goes away fairly quickly. 
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.