R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: CBS Records' 30th Street Studio Presentation  (Read 16188 times)

Fletcher

Re: CBS Records' 30th Street Studio Presentation
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 02:12:18 AM »

Looking forward to meeting you... hope there are some "early AES" folks who are interested in experiencing your presentation!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 08:44:33 PM »

Hi All,

I'm significantly happy to report that we had a swell meeting today in Suffern, with about the best turnout that could be hoped for (except for missing those of you who weren't there). The presentation was enjoyed by all, and talking with them individually and as a group was even better. There was a huge amount of recording and technical expertise in the room, and they freely shared and kibitzed.

The meeting kicked off just after 1:30pm, and we had to restart a couple times to not leave out the new arrivals, which was fine. There was in fact a Jet/Patriots game today in Meadowlands, starting at 1pm, so traffic in the Northeast Corridor was screwed up for hours.

Despite that, we got through the program, although fascinating and welcome comments from attendees made precise timing impossible, but that was a minuscule price to pay to get to be part of that conversation.

The last stragglers left at about 6:40pm, after enjoying Fletcher and Plan B's wonderful food and beverages for a notable amount of time.

Present were Fletcher, Larry/Silvertone from my thread in the Hoffman forum, Dominick Costanzo from Battery Studios, and Tom Fine from whatever his mastering studio is called (can't find it online right now), plus this author.

As I said, there was a lot of recording and technical expertise in that collection of folks, and they already knew a LOT about the gear in the pictures I showed them, and were interested to see the history and details that I presented.

I did record it, but between the fact that there was a significant amount of bleed from the football watching in the bar, and that I don't have rights to the music examples I played, that recording will never be released. Sorry; for at least a while, you're going to need to be there.

Thanks to Fletcher and to all who attended. You all made my day.

From left: Larry/Silvertone, Tom Fine, Dan Mortensen, Fletcher, Dominick Costanzo
Background: The beautiful Plan B Pub in Suffern, NY

Fletcher

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 11:15:44 AM »

I have to add that it was seriously fun to meet you, Larry, and Tom -- and great to see Dominick again.  Thank you so much for bringing this wonderful presentation to our humble saloon, and if anyone reading this has the opportunity to see it live and in person at AES -- avail yourself of the opportunity!!

I so enjoyed not only the presentation but as we were a small group we let our geek flags fly... and being retired from "audio", it was damn fun to have a couple hundred pounds of useless knowledge come flooding back to my world.  I can't remember the last time I had that much fun in that building while learning!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 12:46:19 PM »

8) :) :) :)

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »

Just in case anyone reading this can be at the NY AES Convention with the ability to get into the Paper Sessions, my 30th St presentation will be tomorrow, Saturday, at 10:45am in Room 1E08.

The one I'll give is about the sixth incarnation of this talk, with information unearthed as recently as two nights ago.

It's a full hour and a half long, so come prepared.

This will be the last time I'll bug you about this here. Thanks again, Fletcher, for being so welcoming.

Fletcher

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 04:40:27 PM »

I hope it went well.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 04:39:52 PM »

Hi Fletcher,

Thank you for the well-wishes and help last October, sorry for the delay in replying. It did go well, there was an attentive audience for the big talk and several had been there and shared their memories.

The talk went so well that it gave me some credibility with the powers-that-be and this year I'll be in charge of the Historical Track (track = sequence of talks/papers on a given overall subject; there are many tracks).

The Convention is October 17-20 in New York City at the Javits; if anyone has an historical subject which they are knowledgeable about and want to share and can get themselves to NYC at that time, please PM me and I'll tell you how to get into my Track.

It could be a panel discussion, a solo or duo presentation, or something different. It should involve history of that audio subject.

Thanks again for having me at your place in October; it was a fun time. I'll be doing another version of my presentation, both expanded and contracted, at the Convention and Tom Fine will be in my track with his History of Commercial Stereophony series.

If you wanted to, I'd be happy to come to Suffern again so that people who are not going to the Convention could still get together. That Sunday afternoon is a very fond memory.

PS It took me quite a while to process all that happened at the Convention and my talks, and I honestly avoided the subject altogether for many months which is why it's taken so long to post a followup.

Fletcher

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 04:55:30 PM »

Glad it went so well, and glad to hear you're working on the historical end of the convention -- you have to know where you've been before you can figure out where you're going!!

Let's talk closer to October... I have no idea what my travel schedule will be [I go Oktoberfest in München every year] until later in the summer.

Peace
CN Fletcher

Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.