R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Km-56 vs Km-54 noise  (Read 17430 times)

Kai

Re: Km-56 vs Km-54 noise
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 05:15:32 PM »

...adjust the value of R2 via 30K trimpot until -5dB at 8K frequency response is achieved...
Might work, R2 affects the range above 1 kHz, but I couldn't find any hint to what standard this needs to be adjusted.
Don't forget to ground pin 6 (calibration input) in the cable for normal use.

klaus

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »

...and I would urge you to minimize variables, by no longer comparing West German Neumann models to East German Gefell mics that, while they may look similar, are worlds apart.

Specifically the two types you mention, K54 and M94, are not interchangeable and have different build specs; they were developed by two different companies using entirely different amp components, tubes, transformers...
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

AusTex64

• Real Full Name: Robert Mokry
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 09:28:20 PM »

...and I would urge you to minimize variables, by no longer comparing West German Neumann models to East German Gefell mics that, while they may look similar, are worlds apart.

Specifically the two types you mention, K54 and M94, are not interchangeable and have different build specs; they were developed by two different companies using entirely different amp components, tubes, transformers...

Understood. I can't afford four KM54's, but could afford four of my "poor man's KM54's". I have heard many times the two capsules are very similar in sound and construction, but not identical. Your comment is the first time I've heard KK54 and M94 capsules are "worlds apart". I am nowhere as experienced as you, so I mean no disrespect. But there sure are a lot of similarities.

I am only trying to glean knowledge from the KM54 buffer in order to apply it to my mics. I have no expectation they will sound identical to KM54, but in the same battle class, to borrow a term from Oliver Archut. Actually, you can blame Ollie - building these mics was his suggestion! :-)

uwe ret

• Real Full Name: Uwe Sattler
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »

Might work, R2 affects the range above 1 kHz, but I couldn't find any hint to what standard this needs to be adjusted.
Don't forget to ground pin 6 (calibration input) in the cable for normal use.

Excerpt from an old Neumann Service bulletin.

AusTex64

• Real Full Name: Robert Mokry
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2017, 02:57:39 PM »

Mr. Sattler,

That is an amazing and historical document. Thank you very much for posting it.

Robert Mokry
Austin, Texas
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 19 queries.