R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decca Tree  (Read 1272 times)

• Real Full Name: Jason Locsin
Decca Tree
« on: June 01, 2017, 03:39:04 pm »

I am a high school band director and I would like to setup a permanently installed Decca tree. It would be used to record everyday rehearsals and to record concert album tracks. I will be recording wind ensembles and percussion ensembles.

I would like to suspend it from the ceiling instead of placing on stands.

My question is what kind of mics should I use and can I leave the mics installed on the tree all year long without damaging them? Also, do you think the Decca tree is the best option for my needs?

Here is what I have:

2 Neumann KM 184 (matched pair)
4 AKG C414 XLII (2 matched pairs)
4 Royer 101 (2 matchd pairs)
3 AKG C214
SM 57 (dozens)

I can also get additional microphones if none of these would meet my needs.

Thanks for the help!

High School Band Director

Tim Halligan

Re: Decca Tree
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:56:07 pm »

Your 414's should do the trick...and will give you the option to try the left and right mics as either omni or cardioid.

If necessary, you could use a pair of 214's as outer mics for the large ensemble if you want to stay with large diaphragm condensers all around, other wise the KM184's could fill that role.

If you wanted to get really cute funny and fresh, you could rig a pair of the Royers in a Blumlein configuration just above the conductor's head for a different take on a stereo setup.

As for leaving them up for the year, that would depend entirely on the environment...dust, humidity, etc.

An analogue brain in a digital world.

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 01:29:28 am »

Tim's suggestions are pretty much spot on... I would investigate if its possible to raise and lower the "Decca Tree" and remove the microphones when not in use.  As Tim pointed out, environmental factors [dust, etc.] will put them in harms way if you leave them in a fixed position.  Dust screens can be used... but must be washed on a fairly regular basis as dust accumulations will indeed alter the sound [in a dulling / not really pleasant kind of way].

CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

• Real Full Name: Umair Ali
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 04:24:15 am »

Nice Post

• Real Full Name: paul tumolo
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 11:12:53 am »

i know i am late to the party, but...

For this application, I would go with a trio of OM1 mics.

they are inexpensive (won't hurt the scholl budget), are very small (easy to hang and move) and sound very, very good (surprisingly so, considering the price).
Paul Tumolo

<a href="http://www.wildplum.org" target="_blank">Wildplum Recordings</a>

a micro label, studio and remote recording service
Pages: [1]   Go Up