R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shock mount  (Read 3421 times)

wildplum

• Real Full Name: paul tumolo
shock mount
« on: April 27, 2017, 06:42:51 PM »

I am in the market for a new shock mount for a Neumann U89. I am considering two very different designs.
Please see pictures below.

Shock mount A is of the standard design, using an elastic web to provide the protection.
Shock mount B is a newer design, using Rycote's Patented Lyre Technology for the shock absorption.
Shock mount B is about twice the cost of A.

Questions:
1. Which design will stand up to studio use longer (i.e. which design is more rugged)?

2. Which design is better at attenuating such things as shock, vibration, and handling noise?

Thank you.
Paul Tumolo

<a href="http://www.wildplum.org" target="_blank">Wildplum Recordings</a>

a micro label, studio and remote recording service

klaus

Re: shock mount
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 06:31:40 PM »

Can you name prices for the three shock mounts (Neumann-made original, plus two alternatives)?

I often find that if a mic owner of a name-brand product sticks with OEM accessories, the package is worth more when it comes time to sell.

But if the Neumann shockmount is exorbitantly more expensive than the copy design model "A", the equation changes. In any event, I would not veer away from the standard-issue cage mount type, unless the alternative is substantially cheaper, which, in the case of "B" as you wrote, it is not.

Regarding functionality: Neumann's cage mounts are a happy compromise between shock absorption and low internal (i.e. elastic string) resonance. I am not familiar with the two alternatives in this regard.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Avgatzeblouz

• Real Full Name: Manuel MARIE
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 10:10:37 AM »

I would say if your primary use is recording vocals, go with the cheapest one. For kick drums, maybe you could get a difference, but even there I doubt it. I mean, did anybody ever complained about swivel mounts ?

hasbeen

• Real Full Name: Troy Douglas Sutler III
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »

I've been using the Rycotes for years now and love them. Especially for fast mic change!
Who Is John Galt?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 18 queries.