R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loudness War: How Daft Punk changed the way Mastering works  (Read 5429 times)

Jack Garufi

• Real Full Name: Jack Garufi
Loudness War: How Daft Punk changed the way Mastering works
« on: January 28, 2017, 07:04:57 AM »

Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories is a milestone in the worldwide music business for several reasons: the cycling nature of the arrangements, the ambiguity of certain musical keys (e.g. Get Lucky), the symbolism of cinematic images, the hypnotic magnetism of the lyrics, the mix between analogue and digital sounds and the hybridism of this particular genre, from disco music to funky.
This album is a masterpiece for its outstanding mastering techniques: we’re not talking about a revival of the 70’s album’s dynamics, but of the construction of a modern dynamic. From a psychoacoustic point of view it’s soft, fresh and gives the listener a relaxing sensation, although it provides occasional sparkles of loudness.
The focal point is to make the listeners aware of something different they’ve never heard before, but at the same time make it enjoyable...

FULL ARTICLE https://bantamu.com/tips-and-interviews/18-loudness-war-how-daft-punk-changed-the-way-mastering-works

Fletcher

Re: Loudness War: How Daft Punk changed the way Mastering works
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 08:29:22 AM »

Very interesting article... thanks for sharing!!!

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Tim Halligan

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 08:05:19 AM »

Interesting.

The overarching point for me is that the artist/producer seemed incapable of making a decision during production, and therefore had to make all of the decisions in the mastering room...which turned out to be not the final mastering room.

What a shamozzle.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Delete me

• SAG AFTRA Voice Actor/Musician
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 11:29:04 AM »

RAM is some of the Dankest Kush to hit my ears in a while.
Death is Certain. Fishing is Not!

mroessler

• Real Full Name: Manuel Roessler
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »

Nice article about Daft Punk's latest album. I hope they really can make a change regarding the loudness wars in the industry with it. I also read Mick Guzausky's interview in S.O.S about how he mixed the record.

Not sure if this album can really be seen as a "Milestone" in the music business though. Sure the production of this album is flawless from the beginning to the end (which is kind of rare on most albums nowadays). But in order to change something regarding the loudness war a lot still needs to change. Luckily Youtube, Apple and Spotify are going in the right direction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.