R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pape/C12 pinout  (Read 3179 times)

duskb

Pape/C12 pinout
« on: February 03, 2017, 02:03:37 PM »

My Pape C12 has finally succumbed to a design flaw with the PSU. The Lemo multi-pin connector had not been properly secured and apparently spun one times too many - snapping a few wires inside. Unfortunately I can't make out what went where so I have to start over.

Can anyone get me a pinout that I might be able to use to re-connect this? BTW the PCB does not seem to have demarcations that mean anything to me so I have no clue what wire colors go where. I suppose measuring voltages might be a great place to start but this is common enough of a mic that someone might actually have a PSU that is similar.

This is what I'm seeing on the PCB:
UB+Red
UG- Blue
Hz Black
? Brown
B (Green)

Two other wires are pins 2 & 3 from the XLR. There is also a small wire jumping between two pins (obscured) that got snapped off too. I think I can tell where this goes by it's length but it would be nice to confirm it's purpose before I solder it down.
----
Dusk Bennett
Engineering/Production/Technical Services/Educator
Los Angeles Ca
Award Winning Engineering
www.duskbennett.com

klaus

Re: Pape/C12 pinout
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 02:33:02 PM »

Contrary to your assumptions, Pape C12 copies mostly came with Tuchel 12-pins, not Lemo, and, besides, the cable colors also were not consistent. Plus, I have never seen a Pape sporting PCB boards imprinted with letters.

So, rather than adding another cause of failure by presumption, I suggest you do what I do in cases where there is no way to predict connections with 100% reliability: visually trace and measure.

But, as native German I can add a bit of clarity:

UB+ refers to Spannung (high voltage) +
UG   is high voltage ground
HZ is Heizung  (tube heater+ voltage)  whose  wire should measure a few ohms against ground.

From there, you can easily deduct the remaining connections: ONLY TWO pins connected to your two probe ends will yield a DC resistance between 20 and 60Ω.  None of the two should read any conductance to ground.

The remaining conductors will be ground (easily tested by connecting the DC probe between that wire and chassis-ground, or tube ground, or front diaphragm wire of the capsule- they are all at ground potential)

Finally, you will have to identify the variable polarization voltage wire. That's easy, too: it will be a wire directly connected to a 30 or
33mΩ resistor. The only such connection on the mic.

Best of luck!
KH

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

radardoug

• Real Full Name: Doug Jane
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 02:47:47 PM »

Did you not notice that the connector was loose? This is not an uncommon problem with old mikes, and is why you need to be alert. When mating connectors on old mikes, be very carefull!

duskb

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 03:21:30 PM »

Did you not notice that the connector was loose? This is not an uncommon problem with old mikes, and is why you need to be alert. When mating connectors on old mikes, be very carefull!

Yup, never occurred to me if you can believe it. Of course I never made a habit of twisting it either. I suspect when one of my assistants that broke it down from the last session he probably torqued it just enough to damage it. Since I generally don't pack up the cabling and PSU's, just the mics themselves, it's an understandable failure.

In the grand scheme of things this is a small repair. At least I'm not looking at buying a new tube or rebuilding the supply.

Thanks for the input Klaus. This should give me enough to start IDing the wires that are left.
----
Dusk Bennett
Engineering/Production/Technical Services/Educator
Los Angeles Ca
Award Winning Engineering
www.duskbennett.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.