R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ernie Ball RIP  (Read 1961 times)

Wyn Davis

Ernie Ball RIP
« on: September 11, 2004, 11:48:02 AM »

Ernie Ball, pioneer of the lighter gauge more flexible guitar string, passed away in San Luis Obispo Thursday.

I remember Erine Ball's guitar shop in Tarzana, California as one of the first places I ever saw that sold ONLY guitars; no band instruments, no pianos, but walls full of guitars.

Graveside services will be held 10 a.m. Monday at San Luis Obispo cemetary.
Wyn Davis
Total Access Recording Studios
Redondo Beach, California

PP

Re: Ernie Ball RIP
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 04:45:01 AM »

electrical

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 06:00:41 PM »

I seem to remember the Ernie Ball company getting into a beef with Microsoft about having "unlicensed" copies of Windows in some of its computers, and subsequently converting to an all-Linux system for the whole company. For that alone, I admire the company.

Also for staying in business manufacturing a commodity product for a finicky and cheap market (guitar players).

Entrepreneurial companies like this are truly the best our system can create, and it is sad to see such a patriarch pass.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

Curve Dominant

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 03:04:40 AM »

RIP, Ernie Ball.

Jimmy Page once told a Guitar Player magazine interviewer that he used Ernie Ball's guitar strings. I was about 15 y/o when I read that, and have been using them ever since.

You don't truly appreciate the people who've built this industry's nuts and bolts, until they are gone.

Here's a toast to Ernie Ball...

CHEERS!!!

Level

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 03:16:08 AM »

All the guitar players I worked with had some Ernie Ball Strings in their case or bag and we kept them exclisivly in the studios (many I have worked) as spares. We had a display case in the studio and sold out at times!

I never got to know all the accessories, but this is testament to the Man that just wanted to sell "Guitars" and not everything else. His string variations and designs, made modern guitarists, what they are today.

A monster, totally aquainted in the field; as large as Les Paul.

Everyone knows who that cat is.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 16 queries.