R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nickel SDC on drum overheads  (Read 3453 times)

AusTex64

• Real Full Name: Robert Mokry
Nickel SDC on drum overheads
« on: August 07, 2016, 01:49:45 PM »

I have four Gefell MV691 bodies with custom tube buffers, fitted with M94 capsules. My "poor man's KM54's". Was considering using them for drum overheads and maybe under snare and hi hat on a session this week. It's a modern country/rock and roll date. Or is that a definite no no with nickel diaphragms?

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
Re: Nickel SDC on drum overheads
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 02:19:24 PM »

Drum overheads not a problem at all.

We have four MV-691s at our studio, along with a Telefunken SM-2 (stereo KM-56), and all have been used as overheads and/or front of kit with no issues whatsoever.

While they might not be my very first choice on a hat, I think as long as you take care to avoid the air blast of the closing hats you'll probably be OK. If it were me, I'd try it without much hesitation.

I cannot personally speak to "under snare" (and of course even that might depend somewhat on whether you're recording Meshuggah or the Jeff Hamilton Trio), but I have definitely heard of KM-56 being used under snare by others (notably on many Beatles sessions, according to the Recording the Beatles book). However, prior use doesn't necessarily indicate "safe for the mic."

AusTex64

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 02:37:33 PM »

Thanks Brad.

Funny, I got the under snare idea from the RTB book!

klaus

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 05:26:21 PM »

... but unlike today, Geoff Emerick had KK56 replacement heads readily available from the London Neumann service facility...

I would not use a nickel diaphragm mic close-up on high SPL applications. The dreaded arc holes burnt into the diaphragm are irreversible.

With any high-priced capsule, and these unobtainable capsules especially, my oft repeated advice applies:
I would not place a mic where I would not want to place my ear for the duration of the session.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 09:44:57 AM »

Thanks Brad.

Funny, I got the under snare idea from the RTB book!

And while I hate to be "that guy" on the internet forum, it IS worth mentioning...

Those recordings probably would've been every bit as compelling with some other mic under there.  :)

If you have access to a Sennheiser MD-441 or an RCA 74b Junior, you'll get a lovely under-snare sound that's not terribly risky for your equipment.

AusTex64

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:53:16 AM »

I'm gonna keep them away from close mic-ing, but give them a try on overheads. Thank you guys for the advice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.