R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone know what's up with availability of CK12 capsules?  (Read 3260 times)

brucekaphan

In the past couple of days I've had numerous conversations with folks at AKG's parts and service departments [at (800) 458-5534] , regarding availability of CK12 capsules. I've been going at it from the perspective of a hypothetical situation of sending a C414EB (with Teflon capsule) in for repair, requesting that the Teflon capsule be replaced with a CK12 capsule. I've been told various stories so far, but the person who seemed the most knowledgeable indicated that the CK12 capsule is no longer available and that even if a mic came in with a CK12 capsule, though they'd ask for approval first, they could only replace the capsule with a Teflon capsule. One unnerving aspect of my conversations—I never felt like I received a definitive answer to the question of whether there are no more CK12 capsules in existence and no plans to build more, or whether it was just a current lack of supply, where at some point in the future there would be more available again. I phoned again this morning to speak with a supervisor about this, and unfortunately the supervisor wasn't even aware of the (past?) availability of more than one model of capsule for the C414 series, so she really didn't know what I was talking about. She promised to do some investigating and get back to me, but I'm not holding my breath that I'll get that callback, because I just wasn't sure she understood the situation. So I'm writing here—does anyone know what's going on here? Is the CK12 permanently extinct or just temporarily unavailable? And if it's permanently extinct, does anyone here know who to speak to at AKG that might be in a position to reconsider producing them again?

As always, thanks to all of the knowledgeable folks here!

mbrebes

• Real Full Name: Michael Brebes
Re: Does anyone know what's up with availability of CK12 capsules?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 10:13:21 AM »

AKG hasn't made the brass CK12 capsule since the 70's.  Their CK12 capsule is  and has been the teflon capsule that is now available.  If you want a replacement CK12 brass capsule or an original rebuilt, I suggest you contact Tim Campbell  who makes a very good quality replica and also rebuilds original capsules.

Fletcher

Re: Does anyone know what's up with availability of CK12 capsules?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 11:12:30 AM »

To reinforce Michael's post -- "brass" CK-12 capsules have been generally unavailable for several decades, and while you can find them they're usually more expensive than they're worth and rarely in excellent condition.  Tim Campbell is building them new, and doing a fine job of it.  If you're seriously in search of a "brass" CK-12 I would you contact Tim directly. 

Here is a link that provides Tim's contact information http://www.timcampbell.dk/index2b.htm

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 19 queries.