R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony C37p low end loss  (Read 4965 times)

afterlifestudios

• Real Full Name: John Raham
Sony C37p low end loss
« on: June 04, 2016, 05:29:22 PM »

Hi there. I have a pair of Sony c37p microphones.  One of them has slightly lower bottom end response than the other.  Both capsules look identical to my relatively untrained eye.  The roll off switches appear to be working properly.  Could aging caps in the amplifier cause this?  Does anyone know of someone who works on these?

John

klaus

Re: Sony C37p low end loss
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 07:30:49 PM »

Do you feel competent to switch capsules? That's what any service technician would do as first trouble-shooting step.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Kai

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 07:08:12 AM »

I would measure or compare the electrical frequency response of both amplifiers first.
Feeding in a generator signal where the capsule is connected, via a ca. 1nF cap (exact value not critical, no elco, foil or ceramic) and comparing the outcome is done in minutes. 
Capsules can stay in place, no soldering necessary.
Can even be done side by side, connected to the normal recording path, using whatever meters are there as measuring instruments.

afterlifestudios

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 10:39:09 AM »

Thank you both. While swapping capsules would certainly give me a definitive answer as to where the problem exists, it is beyond my skill/comfort level.  Feeding a tone generator into the amplifier would also give me great information. I have just a couple questions about that:

What kind of level, (voltage) should I output from the tone gen?  (I'm guessing start at zero and bring it up very slowly.) 

To find the "point of injection" on the amplifier, do I literally just follow the leads from the capsule to where they first enter the amplifier? 

Did you mean that the capacitor should be foil or ceramic?  Or should NOT be?

And where in this signal path does the capacitor go?
Signal gen>capacitor>small wire clipped to input of amplifier?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to be sure I'm doing it correctly to get a meaningful measurement and to avoid damaging anything.

John

klaus

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 11:41:54 AM »

The reason I suggested a capsule swap first was because you used the word "slightly". It's been my experience that a slight amount of low end attenuation is usually capsule related. Mic amp/impedance converter problems usually contain some form or other of noise, rather than straight frequency abnormalities. Plus, in thirty years of doing this, I have never encountered low end loss in condenser mics (for example, due to capacitor deterioration) without concurrent noise.

But there is always a first time....
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Kai

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 06:18:47 PM »

I would guess for the capsule too but testing the amplifier is so much faster.
Could be a dried out cap, which would make an easy fix.

Use a  foil or ceramic cap to inject the signal, follow the wires from the capsule to find the injection point. Level would be in the range of 10mV.
The output level should match about what you get with medium loud spoken voice from 20 cm distance.

afterlifestudios

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 12:49:02 AM »

Thank you again, gentlemen.

John

radiovinhet

• Real Full Name: Luis Fernando
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 09:51:42 AM »

Talking about c37p... who can make a good capsule reskin for this mic? I've been trying to contact Sony Pro Audio support, no response at all.

klaus

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 05:02:25 PM »

My answer, and speaking from experience with other LD reskin efforts by pretty much all vendors: No one can ever restore a capsule's performance back to original.

But Tim Campbell in Denmark, a nice guy without attitude, is versed in restoring edge-terminated capsules, like this one. He posts here occasionally. You may want to contact him.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

radiovinhet

• Real Full Name: Luis Fernando
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 01:46:43 PM »

I'll contact Tim... i've tested his ck12 on c414, sounds great! Thanks.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 11:52:58 PM »

C37 capsule is a strange capsule, and cannot be reskinned, properly.  I've seen attempts, and because of the way it's tensioned, you get wrinkles over the flange edge of the capsule.  It's the same capsule as the 800, and is available from Sony. 

I've encountered C37 capsules that have diminished low end.  This is not a unique situation. 

This is what it looks like when you try to reskin these capsules.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.