R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum Editing Tutorial  (Read 3253 times)

oneflightup

• Real Full Name: Nick Irving
Drum Editing Tutorial
« on: April 29, 2016, 07:29:23 AM »

Hey all,

I've always struggled with editing drums. My buddy who's a bit of a genius with Pro Tools put together a tutorial on how he edits his drums. It's been a huge help to me so I wanted to share it here so others can benefit too.

Drum Editing Tutorial

What do you guys think? Any tips, techniques or advice to add?

Cheers,

Nick :)

---------------
One Flight Up Recording Studios Sydney

Fletcher

Re: Drum Editing Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 11:39:15 AM »

As you can probably tell by my "signature file"... this article made my ass pucker.  I actually felt palpable anger and visceral disdain for damn near every word, and every premise... but its not my world anymore, its the world where this kind of "let's edit a human into being a drum machine" seems to be perfectly acceptable... so I reckon this is probably as good a tutorial as any [and if nothing else, it helped the author really hone in on his thought process whilst turning a person into a machine].

On an "old man" / "personal level" -- I prefer working with an amazing drummer [whether they're in the band or have to be hired separately] and editing the takes together if you have some sections that feel a bit better than others... but hey, my best days are in the rear view mirror... so please don't take any of this "back in my day" shit to heart.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

oneflightup

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:55:57 AM »

Hey Fletcher,

No worries. I completely understand. I would also much prefer a great drummer. My heart always sinks when I'm recording a drummer who really isn't up to the task. Alas, these days, it seems to be acceptable to not be able to play well and leave it up to the Engineer to turn the playing into something which sounds like (hopefully) a great performance. Not really what music is about or why I became an Engineer!
But for those situations when you've got a client paying and there's no alternative but to go with the drummer you've got.... that's when I resort, reluctantly, to this kind of editing....

Thanks for checking it out :)

Nick

----------------
One Flight Up Recording Studios Sydney

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 09:46:53 AM »

All due respect mate... you need to have a list of all the great players in your area.  When someone comes in with a crap drummer you pull the band leader [or person who booked the session] aside and say something along the lines of "I have this really excellent drummer we can call... while he's $______ per song, he'll save you a shit load of money as I won't need to burn a bunch of hours trying to cobble this mess into a drum track -- and he should nail it in a take or two which will also save you money".

If you really want to get into it -- have a bunch of "NDA" [non disclosure agreements] with blanks for names so they can be filled out before the session... the basic premise is that the "hired drummer" says he'll never talk about playing on this recording... so the band can save some face by not giving him a credit on the product.

Its been done for decades... nothing new, nothing radical, nothing underhanded... but at the end of the day the studio comes out shining because better product is going out the door... and the band comes out shining because their record / demo / whatever it is sounds and feels better.

Hope this is of some assistance

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

oneflightup

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 05:33:34 AM »

Very good advice, Thanks Fletcher. I've already got a few Drummers on standby... ;)

Best,

Nick :)

----------------
One flight Up Recording Studios Sydney
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.