R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bypassing DA conversion  (Read 3896 times)

Jean moulin

• Real Full Name: Jean-Louis Colonne
Bypassing DA conversion
« on: March 13, 2016, 11:00:46 PM »

Hi,

I am waiting for the soundcraft signature mtk 12 to come out because it seems like the best option for my needs.
But I have a doubt about the quality of the conversion. Would it be possible to bypass it with a high quality converter such as the rme adi-2  for the mix/mastering (trough the main outputs I guess) while using the usb for the tape returns and monitoring trough the adi-2? Would it really be worth it, or the mixers conversion is reliabe enough?

Thank you so much!

Fletcher

Re: Bypassing DA conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:00:10 AM »

From what I saw on the user guide http://soundcraft.com.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/user-guides/signature1012UserManual_v2.2_web.pdf it appears to be possible... though I doubt the RME converters will make much of a difference [not having heard the two next to each other its impossible for me to render an educated opinion... that said -- I've never thought much of RME converters in general].

I hope this is of some assistance.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Jean moulin

• Real Full Name: Jean-Louis Colonne
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 12:21:17 PM »

Thank you so much for your help.

I am surprised since I have always heard wonders about RME.
Anyways, my real concern is how reliable is the conversion trough  USB. The ghost preamps seem to be pretty good, but it would defeat the purpose of the board that it has a poor conversion.
Also, have you ever  recorded trough ghost preamps? My expectations with this board is getting that missing low end and also the dynamics when recording bass and percussions my focusrite seemed to lack.
Also, I am thinking about getting a Neve Portico 5017 for vocals with my telefunken mic. So In terms of audio quality, will the board downgrade de portico one?

thank you!

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 03:04:07 PM »

I, unfortunately, have no experience with that desk so I really can't give you any form of a valid opinion... many apologies for my ignorance.

Peace
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Augustine Leudar

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 06:43:17 AM »

I recently put this to the test - I was very suprised by the results. The results of a kind of loopback test I did showed there is no difference between the DA conversion of a Neve, an RME or the average laptop minijack out. All flat as a pancake below audible levels, decay times flat and uniform, and Total harmonic distortion below audible levels. AD conversion were a different story though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.