R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG C12VR opinions?  (Read 3762 times)

Glenn Bucci

AKG C12VR opinions?
« on: September 28, 2015, 10:13:12 PM »

I have seen many artists including Ring Starr (on his Ringorama video) use this mic which they also used for the Eagles bass players vocal tracks, Willie Nelson, and others. I know it's not the C12 and many don't like it as much. But is the construction and overall sound up there with the Neumann and Brauner mics?

klaus

Re: AKG C12VR opinions?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 06:39:48 AM »

There are no hard and fast rules. Sometimes a specialty mic like the VR may be just what the doctor ordered, because it may sit well in a mix, or complement a specific instrument or voice. And the mic, with its colorful housing and gold basket, can be a great video prop, even it never sees battle action.

But, condensed from many professional users' opinions, it's safe to say that this mic does not have much sex appeal. It renders with narrow dimensionality, lacks in response speed, high frequency pleasantness, midrange authority, and robust, clear bass- all features its predecessor, the C12, possessed.

Yet, the VR can be useful for non-critical recordings in ways most Chinese copies of vintage mics cannot. The Teflon/Nylon ring capsule in the VR is quite an improvement in clarity over the original Teflon CK12 design that was used in "The Tube" - the otherwise identical predecessor of the C12VR.

As to construction: The mic is heavy, and as solidly built as "The Tube". Its internal mechanical construction is a big improvement over the original C12 from the 1950s.  The low-noise-selected GE6072 Five Star tube can operate flawlessly for many years, and the power supply design guarantees drift-free supply voltages for years.

There's one other weak point of this mic, aside of its mediocre sound: C12VR tend to suffer from mechanical resonances because many components are not buffered or secured, so they vibrate when triggered by floor shock or strong SPLs, mixing low frequency resonances with the audio from the capsule.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 09:09:59 PM »

I think we would hate this mic less, if it weren't named "C12," because it sounds nothing like a C12.  For the price, it's not a bad mic.  Works nicely on some singers.  Pretty good on electric guitar amps.  Decent on saxophone.  But really bears no resemblance to a C12 in any way.  But it's a musical sounding and useful mic. 

Jesse Allain

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 12:57:23 PM »

You all make a great point, AKG does tout the C12VR as an "enhanced version" of the original C12.

klaus

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 03:28:40 PM »

"enhanced"

Says who?
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Jesse Allain

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 03:58:28 PM »

Specifically whom I do not know, but this is what the friendly folks who write the ad copy at AKG say.

http://www.akg.com/pro/p/c12vr

klaus

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 04:36:33 PM »

I see, "enhanced version" as in Mustang II being the enhanced version of the 1964 1/2 Mustang?
(The enhanced version was so appealing, they threw in the house!)
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

J.J. Blair

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »

I can't wait for the Mustang VR!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.