R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: KM 86 pattern switches- possible to replace?  (Read 2398 times)

Mark Lemaire

• Real Full Name: Mark Lemaire
KM 86 pattern switches- possible to replace?
« on: August 03, 2015, 01:12:26 AM »

Hello, all-

I have two nice KM86's that are functioning well. Here is my question:

I seem to recall from some years back that someone- perhaps Klaus- told me the pattern switches for these mics are not replaceable and so it would be a problem should one of them break. With this in mind, I have tried to be very careful with those switches!

Now I come across this post selling a pair of KM 86 mics: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/5150414672.html
that says "Both had new switch bars installed for polar pattern". I don't know the technician mentioned, but perhaps someone here knows him and we can talk about the solution he found?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

klaus

Re: KM 86 pattern switches- possible to replace?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 03:59:34 AM »

Hello Mark,
I hope I did not tell you that the slider switch actuators for KM8x are irreplaceable. They are indeed replaceable and I have bought spare ones in the past from Old Lyme. Haven't checked with them lately, but give Bruce Gentry at Sennheiser a call and he can tell you whether any of them are in the U.S. warehouse. If not, one can inquire in Berlin.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Schallfeldmeister

• Real Full Name: E.Sikkema
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 05:03:04 PM »

Been a long time away from here. Hope you are fine Klaus.

This I found on the Neumann forum dating from Januari 2003.

"Correct, some mechanical parts are very difficult / non-existent, e.g. the switch. Still, a functioning KM86 for a nice price is a nice thing. Capsules are no problem, as it's the standard KK84.
All the best, Martin Schneider Neumann Mic. Development" 

klaus

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 05:13:44 PM »

Thanks, Eric,
Your email copy from thirteen years ago is quite telling about an issue Neumann struggled with at the time: what service and parts support should be envisioned for obsolete mic models.

The reissue, and in some cases re-engineering, of vital U87 parts, including the complicated head assembly during the last few years seem to indicate a renewed emphasis on client support, even if that support means no net financial gain for Neumann/Sennheiser (U47fet reissue, anyone?). I find this attitude laudable and rare in our business.

I have my doubts whether the slider switch on KM8x is being reissued or whether what shows up is old stock left over in small quantities, but so far I have been able to obtain these and other Fet80 mic parts from Neumann without problems.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 23 queries.