R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Underheating tubes in microphones  (Read 15613 times)

Jim Williams

Re: Underheating tubes in microphones
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2015, 12:55:35 PM »

It is worth noting that IME, even creating an optimal illusion of a "you are there" experience requires manipulative technique that diverges from what one might assume from an overly simplistic viewpoint, and that is where it heads in the direction of the other approach, deciding what is optimal and how to get there. There is, of course, a continuum between the two approaches.

The MA catalog defies that concept. There are true 3d effects going on without any electronic assistance, it's all timing cues from 2 quality microphones and a preamp. On the "Further Attempts" CD the bass can be heard moving forwards and backwards as the player rocks the instrument back and forth while he plays.

Phase manipulation with electronics is not the same as the complex timing cues provided by a quality stereo mic pair and a high end preamp/converter following it.

Piedpiper

• Real Full Name: Tim Britton
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 09:33:37 PM »

That's not what I meant. I am very familiar with Todd's work, as well as Chesky and Waterlilly and others, and I have done quite a bit of similar purist audiophile live to stereo mic recordings myself. My point was that one must work quite hard at the placement in a way that is not necessarily what you'd think on first blush, as in just putting the mic in what seems like the ideal audience seat in a concert situation.
row row row your boat...

Pied Piper Productions

klaus

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »

The MA catalog defies that concept.
Please explain what "MA" stands for.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Piedpiper

• Real Full Name: Tim Britton
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2015, 08:02:59 PM »

MA Recordings is the name of Todd Garfinkel's record label that Jim referred to earlier, specializing in audiophile recordings, live to a stereo pair of B&K microphones.
row row row your boat...

Pied Piper Productions

Jim Williams

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 10:33:39 AM »

Please explain what "MA" stands for.

This is from the MA CD "Rediscovered Memories":

MA derives from the Chinese character ma, aida, gen or kan (depending on its reading), and means "space", "between", "interval" and "relationship".
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.