R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG C12 needs to be diagnosed  (Read 3317 times)

avgur

• Real Full Name: Fima
AKG C12 needs to be diagnosed
« on: March 20, 2015, 11:19:04 PM »

Hi, everybody
I happened to trade c24 for a c12. it looks like c12 is all original but it does have an issue: being quite full-bodied and closely sounding it seems like it lacks smth at the top end as if it is closed...i dont know how to describe it. could it be because of the capacitor which looks like it has leaked? regarding the capsule its rear membrane is getting quite damaged but the front one is quite all right though with traces of adhered dust. my EBS capsules looks very much the same but sounds pretty more opened with very nice highs.
thank you!

klaus

Re: AKG C12 needs to be diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 12:57:14 PM »

In your private email to me you described the capsule of the mic which you compare the C12's capsule to as being in a C414EB. It can easily be mount it the C12, and you then can listen for sound differences, before you start screwing around with the mic's electronics.

For all you know, you may have a flat-dish CK12 in the C12, which has markedly mellower top end.
If the CK12 from the C414EB still sounds odd in the C12, then I would attend to the coupling capacitor and other electronic parts.
Also make sure that you run the C12 at roughly 120VDC B+ and 6.3VDC heater.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

avgur

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 01:02:08 PM »

thank you for respond!
sorry, i was talking about my AKG C414EBs capsules(all brass), which doesnt look much cleaner. so the sound of this c12 badly surprised me.
in general, could the capacitor be responsible for this kind of sound charecteristics?

klaus

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 01:35:54 PM »

A leaky coupling capacitor in a tube mic is extremely rare. I have never seen it in a C12. It's also not clear from the picture whether just excess electrolyte has been leaking or whether the capacitor is functionally compromised as a result of the leak.

I already responded with the trouble shooting tip I would personally follow: Capsule exchange. You will have a much better idea what to do afterwards.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

avgur

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 01:48:59 PM »

thank you! will do, like you suggested!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 18 queries.