R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ANY Service for Sony Mics?  (Read 3709 times)

allant

• Real Full Name: Allan Thomas
ANY Service for Sony Mics?
« on: February 28, 2015, 10:42:32 PM »

Hi and aloha from Kauai. Can anyone recommend a reputable Sony C-500 tech person for servicing these great old mics?

I've been told by a noted professional that the problem with my C-500 is most likely the DC/DC convertor has stopped working and the capsule is not being polarized so the output is much lower than it should be. There is a notable amount of low level static/frying sound and very little level. This mic in particular had not been taken care of properly by the previous owner, and was stored in a moist environment to boot. Thanks for your Help. Allan Thomas - Black Bamboo Recordings - http://www.allanthomas.com/wordpress/

klaus

Re: Service Tech for Sony C-500
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:02:50 PM »

This inquiry has been posted two weeks ago, but so far, NOBODY seems to know factory-supported service solutions for Sony mics or can recommend an experienced independent technician with access to Sony schematics and parts?

How does this company sell microphones in a country without official service support (which, to my knowledge has been the status for at least 25 years now)?

I can recall two other, well-known professional condenser microphone manufacturers whose similar lack of proper parts and service representation in the U.S. not only reflects badly on the products (among the best in the world, in my opinion) but on their sales in the U.S.
The logistics, costs, and time delay of shipping expensive, fragile mics which sometimes only have minor issues to another continent for servicing is nightmarish, especially when you add customs and duty hassles and costs.

Some companies use the convenient solution to delegate responsibility to a third-party agent in the U.S. who acts as shipper and intermediary. But that, too, is not appealing to me. Often too much of a client's concerns gets lost in translation before the mic reaches the intended recipient.

That is why I routinely recommend to clients NOT to buy products, all-else being equal, whose manufacturer is not willing or financially capable to invest in proper parts and service support for the product they are nevertheless eager to sell here.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Jim Williams

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 11:50:01 AM »

This is a recurring problem with flagship products from audio manufacturers. If you paid $12,000 for a Sony reverb, you have no support, documentation nor response from Sony.

Same if you happen to own a Lexicon 224 or 480, it doesn't matter to the manufacturer that you dropped over $12,000, no support for you. What you will get is a sales plug for a 960 or PCM96.

This is no different than if you had bought a Roll-Royce 20 years ago and then you find out the dealer won't service nor support the car anymore. No parts, nothing but a sales plug to buy a new Rolls.

klaus

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 03:50:55 PM »

... which eventually, through world of mouth, trade publications and forums, will lead to the demise of the company (or product line).

Would be interesting to find out whether BMW will service RR made before they took over the company...?
Sennheiser certainly services Neumann products made before 1991.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

J. Mike Perkins

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 06:27:54 PM »

A year or so ago, Sony refused to service a C38B mic that I owned because it was not the current re-issue model even though the reissue is said to be identical to the original!  The only thing they said they could do was replace the capsule but my capsule was fine. 

Even though Sony has made many excellent mics over the years, I am afraid to buy any of them, new or used, because I know if anything were to go wrong later on, no parts or support will ever be available, and the mic will probably be useless the first time it breaks. 

Say what you like about Neumann, and their service can be expensive, but they will repair virtually any mic they ever made, even pre World War II models, using their substantial inventory of original parts.  That's one big reason they have my business and Sony does not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.