R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: T14/1 replacing V2148 in a C12  (Read 3570 times)

River

T14/1 replacing V2148 in a C12
« on: July 26, 2014, 11:51:03 PM »

I have an early C12 which originally had a V2148 output transformer, but at some point the transformer was replaced with a T14/1.  I'm guessing that the replacement was done quite some time ago before any source for somewhat accurate replacement parts were available.

Since the odds of finding a replacement for the original V2148 seems unlikely at this point I'd like to purchase one of the transformer mounts from a current supplier.  However, I run into a couple of problems with that, in that the screw holes for the T14/1 mount are spaced differently from the holes for the V2148.  In addition, the V2148 version of the C12 had one less plastic deck, so the components were mounted a little differently.  I could buy a recreation of that part, but there are no holes for that deck.  (Also, the deck that holds the tube was mounted in a slightly different position, but that's not a major issue.)

Has anyone ever seen a C12 that has had a T14/1 installed as a replacement for the V2148?  If so, any insights into how it might have been done would be great.

I could always just drill new screw holes. but I really don't want to do that.

Alternately, does anyone have a source for a replacement V2148?  I'd imagine that one of those would probably be rather hard to locate and quite pricey if I can find one.

Thanks!

Tim

klaus

Re: T14/1 replacing V2148 in a C12
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 03:36:37 AM »

Hello Tim,
When Oliver Archut was still alive, there could have been a solution: he could have would you a Hiller T14 copy, which is a bit bigger and fits the space of the old 2148 transformer better. But that is no longer an option.

There is no need to drill or otherwise permanently deface your mic. Just in case one day you find an original or copy of the large Hiller T14 or Henry Radio 2148 transformers, or in the meantime, to mount your T14/1, you can conveniently glue the transformer into the existing space with E6000. This revolutionary adhesive conveniently does not mar, deface or melt any parts, and, if you need to remove the transformer, the transparent glue peels off in one piece, leaving no residue.

At least that is what I would do.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

River

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 03:48:20 AM »

Thanks for the response Klaus -

Would that also be your suggestion for adding the fourth plastic disc?  I'm going to have to order one of those in order to get everything to mount correctly without the original transformer.

Also, I'm not familiar with E6000.  Where is it available?

Thanks!

Tim

klaus

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 12:28:24 PM »

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/e6000_retail.htm

Regarding the disk: I am not at my shop, so I cannot take an old C12 apart right now. I would first try to position the T14/1 against one of the side rails and glue it on that way, before custom-fabricating a part (there are no spare parts for old C12 anywhere to be found).
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 22 queries.