R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S'up w/ Final Cut?  (Read 2821 times)

Dan Lawrence

S'up w/ Final Cut?
« on: April 22, 2014, 12:13:42 PM »

I just completed my first recording project, and had it mastered by an engineer w/ some serious creds. However, when I went to an intermediary for duplication, this cat wanted to review the recording to be sure it met all guidelines.

Trouble was, he does mostly video/DVD, and uses Final Cut. It seems that all my levels were way exaggerated on would distort on his system,  :o  where as I'd tested the master on at least six other audio systems. I spent hours convincing him these levels test ok in many systems.

Is this discrepancy in his system something to do with Final Cut catering to TV or video levels being closer to -12 db than the current frontline of loudness wars, much closer to +/- 0 db (or hotter, but my recording isn't that hot). I'm trying to learn all I can about the post-production to duplication side of things.

Thanks for any tips.

Dan 

Thomas W. Bethel

• Real Full Name: Thomas W. Bethel
  • When only the best will do.
Re: S'up w/ Final Cut?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 06:48:22 AM »

Final Cut has one of the worst audio setups around. I would not use it for audio only work.

Video uses -20 dBU as their standard. Maybe his setup is calibrated for this level.

How hot are your mixes after mastering?
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 29 years in business in 2024

When only the best will do...

Dan Lawrence

Re: S'up w/ Final Cut?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »

Compared to most other modern releases, my recordings are just a wee bit lower in output. Statistically, that read right about a steady "0" in Nuendo (the mixing program we used) with one or two brief peaks going to 0.2.

Thanks for that tip on Final Cut. I suspected something like that.

d
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.