R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vintage u47 power supply versions  (Read 2591 times)

M Stage

• Real Full Name: M Stage
Vintage u47 power supply versions
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:01:19 PM »

Hi,
   I am new to this forum. I was interested in purchasing a vintage Long Body Neumann u47, but it does not have an original power supply. I have seen several types of vintage u47 power supplies out there. One is NG and has a brownish appearance and looks really old. Another is grey, also NG, might be most common? Another is NGu that I have seen. For a Long Body u47 which would be the right fit? And what are the different versions of NG type power supplies for u47s?

klaus

Re: Vintage u47 power supply versions
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:01:59 PM »

Neumann only issued two major series of supplies for its U47 and U48 mics. Both are called NG ( a few late ones were identified as "NG1" , for single mics, and "NG2" for operation of two U47/48 at a time from the same  supply.

The first series, made until ca. 1954 still had sophisticated (and expensive) choke coils in the circuit, which did an even better filtering than the series that came after that. It can be easily  identified without even opening up the cover: It;s almost twice as heavy as the later series.

If bio want to search for a 'period-correct' power supply for your U47, please submit the mic's serial number, and I will advise what supply is the 'correct' one.

Bottom line: functionally, both original U47 supplies are equally over-engineered, as far as filtering out AC is concerned, and neither of them has ANY voltage stabilization built in.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.