R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting & Trimming in Reaper - how?  (Read 74684 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
Cutting & Trimming in Reaper - how?
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:20:53 PM »

Hi, I am a long time reader and poster in the LAB forums but this is my first here in Recording. I do "weekend warrior" level stuff - live sound, but record many of the events either because I want to (with permission) or because the band or event wants it.
I use a Dante network to get audio from the live mix desk to a Mackbook Pro and into Reaper to take back and mix down in my office (studio?).

Most often, I simply start the recording at the beginning of the night inserting markers as I go and maybe pause it during breaks, or not. I often have 24 track recorded so I end up with a folder that might be 30gb or so with the individual WAV files being 1-2gb each.

Of an evening's performance, there may be a few songs worthy of extra effort to remix and I would like to extract them to an individual folder.

I am using Reaper (x64) V4.402 on Win 7.

My plan was to select the cut I want, then delete everything else, then save AS to a new folder.

This is where I seem to get stuck.
When I do the cuts I still end up with full length WAV files, and all the storage needs. I would like some advice on how to best do what I need here.

Thanks
e-mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble - Is easier than - Getting out of trouble

EV QRX212, JTR Growler, QSC K12, QSC KW181, Yamaha LS9-32, Yamaha 01V96

angharadyeo

• Real Full Name: Angharad Yeo
Re: Cutting & Trimming in Reaper - how?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:30:01 AM »

I'm probably missing something here, but what do you mean when you say you still end up will full length WAV files?  Can't you just split the tracks (Shortcut 'S'), delete the unwanted parts, then save it as a new project?
Angharad Yeo
Independent Artist

Facebook | Triple j Unearthed

Rob Spence

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 11:08:51 AM »

I'm probably missing something here, but what do you mean when you say you still end up will full length WAV files?  Can't you just split the tracks (Shortcut 'S'), delete the unwanted parts, then save it as a new project?
When I tried that, the resulting WAV files were still full length (meaning same file size) even though there was only audio in the portion I left.

I just cleaned up some disk space to try it again with a fresh copy of the original.

Rob Spence

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 11:45:46 AM »

I am having trouble selecting what I think is the right parts and then deleting what I don't want. I seem to delete what I want to keep.

So, I open a fresh copy of the show recording.
Next I select the time from start of file to beginning of song
then I Item > Split items at time selection
then Edit > Cut items/tracks... within time selection

then select the time at the end of the song to end of file and cut as above
Lastly Save As to new folder

and, I end up with 30gb of files.

I think I just need a little detailed hint here.

Thanks

angharadyeo

• Real Full Name: Angharad Yeo
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:18:09 PM »

I am having trouble selecting what I think is the right parts and then deleting what I don't want. I seem to delete what I want to keep.

So, I open a fresh copy of the show recording.
Next I select the time from start of file to beginning of song
then I Item > Split items at time selection
then Edit > Cut items/tracks... within time selection

then select the time at the end of the song to end of file and cut as above
Lastly Save As to new folder

and, I end up with 30gb of files.

I think I just need a little detailed hint here.

Thanks

Ahhh okay - I see what you mean now!  Unfortunately, I don't know.  Reaper doesn't seem to split the original WAV files when you split them in the program.  You can go File > Clean current project directory, and get rid of any unused WAV files there.  Also helpful if you've copied what you want into new tracks, and resaved the project whilst copying/moving media into the new project folder.  But that doesn't seem to do exactly what it is you want to do.

Sorry I can't give a better answer... but maybe you'll find something after having a fiddle around with that stuff!
Angharad Yeo
Independent Artist

Facebook | Triple j Unearthed

Larry Sheehan

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »

You nneed to render the remaining audio to produce a new file. The editing just creates operations in the edit decision list (EDL). This is done so that editing can be undone.

Try this:
1: move the remaining audio  to the beginning of the timeline
2: Select the track of interest
3: render tracks to new track

This WILL create new wave files of the desired lenght

Rob Spence

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 09:06:07 PM »

You nneed to render the remaining audio to produce a new file. The editing just creates operations in the edit decision list (EDL). This is done so that editing can be undone.

Try this:
1: move the remaining audio  to the beginning of the timeline
2: Select the track of interest
3: render tracks to new track

This WILL create new wave files of the desired lenght

Sounds good.
How do I render the tracks to new tracks? I have only rendered to a stereo WAV or MP3 file. I looked at the Render Dialog box but could not figure it out.

Larry Sheehan

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 11:36:01 PM »

Under the track menu;render track; render/freeze tracks; render to mono stem tracks (and mute originals).

I'm no Reaper expert by any stretch but this worked for me. The reaper forums on the Cockos site is where to get the best technique. For all I now this copuld be a hysterically funny means of doing this.

Rob Spence

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 02:20:15 PM »

Well, I solved it. Hmm, RTFM. I hope this will help others...

In section 6.23 there is a Right Click choice of Crop Project to Selection!

Just select the timeframe and right click to get it and it crops and slides the selection to the beginning of the project.

Then a Save Project As into a new directory with Copy all Media, Convert Media and Trim media all checked got me a new project with shortened WAV files.

Larry Sheehan

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 11:52:13 AM »

Thanks, Rob. That's much better.

drew gandy

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »

Well, I solved it. Hmm, RTFM. I hope this will help others...

In section 6.23 there is a Right Click choice of Crop Project to Selection!

I've found that the well hidden "set time selection to items" action working in conjunction with the "crop project to selection" gets me where I need to go.  I find it odd that this kind of thing isn't super easy in Reaper....

The "set time selection to items" function is in Actions.  Open Actions and then the Actions list and search for it by name.  It's conveniently located at the very bottom of the search results.   And it's probably easiest to use if you set it to a keyboard shortcut.  Good luck finding an unused one of those!   

My workflow is this: cut all the tracks at once at the beginning (trim pre-show time) and then cut all the tracks at the end (trim post-show time).  I then click one of the middle tracks (representing the time span of what I want to keep) and then use this 'set time selection' function.  Then I right-click in the time bar (or whatever it is called and use the 'crop project' function like Rob suggested.  I find this easier to do and later see the results of than simply setting the time selection directly. 

Of course, the last step is to do the 'save project as' step that Rob outlined. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 18 queries.