R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha PM2000 mod list  (Read 17676 times)

Audio

• Real Full Name: AB
Yamaha PM2000 mod list
« on: April 01, 2013, 11:20:43 AM »

Hey all,

I recently purchased a Yamaha PM2000 in good shape and i read a lot of different post mentionning mods of the buss and groups but it was never really explained what the mods were exactely. I've found the JML mods, EQ and Solo and know that i can buy them online.

I'm also trying to find some informations about the HA1457 IC for a dead channel and the knobs cause i'll have to change some of them that starts fall appart.

So any help with that would be really appreciated

Thank!

Jim Williams

Re: Yamaha PM2000 mod list
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 11:50:13 AM »

You may want to move up one column and ask Fletcher as he owned and modified one of these back in his Boston days.

Audio

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »

You may want to move up one column and ask Fletcher as he owned and modified one of these back in his Boston days.

Thanks Jim. I actually already talked with Fletcher via email and he was really helpful and provided some great informations concerning the PM2000 he owned. That's why i didnt wanted to double post on his channel again.

Maybe some of the other PM2000 owners will chime in, seems that the messages i've found are all in the archives.

Dave Hecht

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »

I designed and installed the 2 bus mod and installed upgraded power supplies on Fletcher's PM2000. The stereo bus was a custom design, based on discrete opamps and Tab Funkenwerk transformers. The amps we used at the time were Yamaha, but I believe they were replaced with Forrsell amps at a later date. We re-purposed a switch on the channel to become a stereo bus assign, so each channel could be floated from the 2 bus. On the patchbay, we added a couple of sets of stereo ACA insert points for adding a submixer or 2 as needed. We also added 2 Accopian psu's for the +/- 24 volt rails which involved adding a connector and some internal wiring.

Dave Hecht

Audio

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 04:09:20 AM »

I designed and installed the 2 bus mod and installed upgraded power supplies on Fletcher's PM2000. The stereo bus was a custom design, based on discrete opamps and Tab Funkenwerk transformers. The amps we used at the time were Yamaha, but I believe they were replaced with Forrsell amps at a later date. We re-purposed a switch on the channel to become a stereo bus assign, so each channel could be floated from the 2 bus. On the patchbay, we added a couple of sets of stereo ACA insert points for adding a submixer or 2 as needed. We also added 2 Accopian psu's for the +/- 24 volt rails which involved adding a connector and some internal wiring.

Dave Hecht

Thank you Dave !

Did you use 2 accopian psu's to accomodate the positive and negative rails or was it for another reason ? Isnt it possible to use only 1 accopian psu ? Do you still have a reference about the model ?

If you had to mod a PM2000 in good condition, what would be the basic mods you would do ? I'm trying to figure out what are the most important mods to do and plan the cost of them too...

Thanks

DarinK

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:30:08 PM »

A guy named Tik who used to post on this forum in the old days has owned a couple of these consoles & done mods & repairs on them.  (He's probably one of the people who comes up in searches of the Archives.)  He's now in the States and has recently bought another used PM2000 that needs fixing, so he'd probably be a good source of info.  His website is pmtaudio.com and he occasionally posts on the prw forum.

Audio

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 12:33:03 PM »

A guy named Tik who used to post on this forum in the old days has owned a couple of these consoles & done mods & repairs on them.  (He's probably one of the people who comes up in searches of the Archives.)  He's now in the States and has recently bought another used PM2000 that needs fixing, so he'd probably be a good source of info.  His website is pmtaudio.com and he occasionally posts on the prw forum.

Thx DarinK ! i'll try to contact him.

Audio

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 02:54:32 AM »

Hey all,

Here's a follow up concerning this subject. I've since then contacted Tik and we talked about the PM2000 and he just created a Yamaha PM2000 repair page on his website : http://www.pmtaudio.com/yamaha-pm2000-page/.

So if you're into repairing or want to buy/sell parts just come over and say hello !

Chris Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 08:29:36 PM »

Hello Gentlemen,

I would like to revive this thread, since my question is on this topic. I have owned 2 previous PM2000's, repairing and selling one, racking up the preamps from another. I'm pretty familiar with these, but would like other's opinions. I just purchased a pair of 32 channel consoles and intend on combining the best channels from each to make one 32 channels desk. I plan on replacing all of the electrolytic caps in the channels and masters with Nichicon UKT. Here are my questions.

1) Since I'm already sucking lead and breathing fumes, should I consider replacing all of the Tantalum caps with WIMA film caps? I understand that the Tantalums haven't changed in value, I'm just curious if the swap will be worth the cost of the WIMA caps.

2) The THD and slew rate specs on the HA1457 opamp are decent for 1978, but not for 2014. I have designed a small pcb that will allow me to mount an OPA604 SOIC and route it into the pinout of the HA1457. I have seen quite a few circuit designs that use the OPA604 and 80100 DOA opamps on +/-24v, but I'm curious if anyone has tried this in the console. Not worried about power, since I'm building new power supplies, mainly concerned about oscillations, etc.

3)  I think the JLM Hi-Mid and Lo-Mid EQ and Solo mod are worth doing. The Low EQ is already passive, but the High EQ contains an HA1457. Is there a mod for the High EQ that does away with the opamp?

4) Lastly, I'm entertaining adding a nice 2-buss. Can I get your opinions on the best adaptation? Which busses did you use? Was in mounted internally or externally? Caveats? Issues?

Thanx
Chris Mitchell

Lucretia Ash

• Real Full Name: Lucretia Ash
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 09:58:25 AM »

Hey,
 :)
You mentioned, you bought Yamaha PM2000. I really need it. Any suggetions where to

buy it?
________________________________________________________________________________________
 Lucretia from http://domyresearchpaperz.org

Jim Williams

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 11:10:37 AM »

Brown Dog has released a 1457 SIP to a SOIC and DIP adaptor. It's about $3 and works great, SOIC or DIP's can be fitted. It also has a psu bypass cap mounting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 20 queries.