R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rode nt3 or Rode m3  (Read 3152 times)

aroldi

• Real Full Name: aroldi di
Rode nt3 or Rode m3
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:39:29 AM »

Hello friends,

nowadays I'm looking for a mic that is good in rejecting noises from the outside(car, buses, people scream:)) i.e tight cardioid or hypercardioid), is battery operated (because my phantom is pretty bad), and bellow 300$. I record in very problematic environment. Actually, I think about the Rode nt3 or the Rode m3. Which one is better in rejecting outside noises? disregard the quallity of them...i'm interested in their polar pattern characters.
Thanks, (sorry for my english)

Jim Williams

Re: Rode nt3 or Rode m3
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »

Off axis polar plots are becoming rather rare. Used to be you would see those published at several different frequencies. Most large diaphram capsules don't do well at the ends of the spectrum, low end and the tops. Most have rather omni patterns at 10k and 50 hz.

Rather than rely on questionable published plots, you can do a make shift test with your mouth. Squeeze out a very thin high frequency hiss sound from your mouth. Hold the mic, rotate it and listen. You will hear the 10k hz pattern quickly. Mostly it will go down a small amount from the rear but not nearly as good as 1k hz does. You can hear the lobes this way and easily detect a hypercardiod pattern with those rear lobes. Don't be suprized if the rear rejection is poor at 10k hz, it's common.

Other than higher gain vocal/acoustic recording, outside noises are less of a problem than you think. I record location outside and I'm always amazed at the seperation and low noise. If people don't yell, it's hard to tell where it was recorded. Throw some Bricasti M7 reverb on it and most believe it was recorded inside a very nice room. That fix will set you back about $3800 though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.