R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Warning to those looking to purchase a Macintosh  (Read 7129 times)

rvdsm

A Warning to those looking to purchase a Macintosh
« on: September 01, 2004, 10:55:11 AM »

If you are looking to buy a new Macintosh computer or any Apple product from that matter, do not purchase anything from Mac Mall.

Our company is currently in a bout with Mac Mall over a G5 that was crap from day one. We received it 2 weeks ago and it wouldn't work. Shipped it back and they told us the motherboard was bad and replaced it. We got it back 4 days ago and it's still screwed up. We are trying to get a refund and they are telling us that they trying to get out of complying. Stating policy and whatnot they are very close to taking it to a level of litigation.

I know that you guys would probably buy straight from Apple themselves (which is what our company should have done in the first place!), but for those of you out there looking for a better deal, don't look to Mac Mall.
We walked along and talked along till we came to the levelest ground....then I picked up a stick of wood and I knocked that Boston bitch down!

Duardo

Re: A Warning to those looking to purchase a Macintosh
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 12:33:25 AM »

From what I understand the same thing would hold true if you were to buy it from Apple...they'd fix it, but the wouldn't give you a refund...

-Duardo
Duardo Hunter

rvdsm

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 09:40:38 AM »

If Apple said they would fix it and then sent it back to us broken I would request the same from Apple. They do have a 10-day refund policy and in a case where they couldn't replace it with a new one (1.6 GHz G5 is out of production) or they couldn't fix it they would have refunded our money instead of turning around and telling us that they can't help us and we are stuck with a broken computer, like Mac Mall is saying.
We walked along and talked along till we came to the levelest ground....then I picked up a stick of wood and I knocked that Boston bitch down!

Fibes

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 05:30:25 PM »

I stopped using Mac Mall the day they overnighted my Norton System works to some lady in NJ that i don't know. I filled out the form online, printed it for my records and somehow they got their wires crossed and it cost me 130 bucks because they "didn't" make the mistake and I was accused of trying to pull a fast one. The lady said that her box had her name address on Mac Mall's label but the invoice inside was for me. Fuck them.

How's that for an endorsement?
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

rubbermatch

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 06:55:47 PM »

I bought 1 from CompUSA. The model I bought was discontinued the next day. Youd'e think they woulda let me know so I could "up my purchase", but, instead the chose to fuck. Apple picks shitty vendors anmd has always chosen the route of the "crook". Nothing new there. It was worse in the day of the "Plus". I guess we coulda bought Wintels and watch em crash.
or whatever, this studio is eating my wallet!!
http://home.comcast.net/~b.knight1

rvdsm

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 03:35:51 PM »

This is fabulous!!!~ Mad

Just found out today that they didn't process our order for the new dual 1.8 because they didn't have our credit card security code and zip code.......even though they already had our credit card information from the FIRST SYSTEM WE PURCHASED!!! Now we will probably have to wait 2 more weeks before we get our G5. We have already waited A MONTH!!!

I wouldn't care as much if it weren't for the fact that this new Mac was replacing the G4 I'm using now. We've maxed out it's capacity for hard drives and can't upgrade it to OS X because the processors are too slow (dual 400MHz).

Will this nightmare ever end?

Dot

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 01:29:16 AM »

Bad G5's seem to be going around.

I've had a dual 1.42 G4 here for a year and a half and it's performed flawlessly. I bought a dual 1.8 G5 that came in last week.

Coming out of sleep mode the G5 crashes often - several times a day. I don't ever remember the G4 crashing even once!

The G5 also crashes while in the sleep mode, and I've walked in to find the "please restart" sign on the screen and the fans blasting at full speed.

So I go to look around on the web and it seems I'm not the only one having these problems.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/apple_g5.html

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22396 0

And there are some mega long threads on Apple's dicussion boards about G5's freezing up.
 http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@ .6896df64

New G5 Freezing thread [ this one is scary with  over 460 replies ]
 http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected] @.68959e5e

I don't have any third-party RAM. I did transfer all my G4 files to the G5 via firewire a couple of days ago, but the crashes were happening even before I made the transfer. I haven't installed any audio hardware yet and I haven't even been running any programs except Explorer to surf the net. Yowsa.

I have the ATI Radeon 9600 XT video card, and some people are pointing to the video cards being the problem - especially the 9600 XT. Some people think it's RAM.

I dunno.
Dan Richards
The Listening Sessions
Pro Audio Consulting & Equipment Sales
Direct Toll-Free  (866) 409-3686

rvdsm

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 10:07:47 AM »

Dot wrote on Sat, 18 September 2004 00:29

Some people think it's RAM.

I dunno.

The first G5 we received wouldn't even boot because of the RAM. It shipped with 2 256 meg sticks and 2 128 sticks. We purchased two additional 256 meg sticks at the time of purchase to put in the system. Once we received the computer we swapped out the 2 128 sticks with the 256 sticks and the computer wouldn't turn on. We messed around with it for hours and finally called MacMall and told them we were shipping it back.

Right before we boxed it up we put the original sticks back in the computer and tried booting it one final time. This time it booted. We were stumped. What confused us even more was that the RAM was seated improperly for it to work right. We had a 256 and a 128 paired (both running at different speeds according to the system diagnostic), but when we tried to pair the 2 128 sticks and the 2 256 sticks the computer again wouldn't boot.

Another problem we noticed was the that the system was showing all 4 sticks as 128 meg. We called around to numerous places and everyone told us it had to be a hardware issue. We thought it might be a RAM issue so we tested the sticks we bought, plus the sticks that came with the system in one of our older G4 units and they all worked fine.

An update to our situation here at work:
We found out through our credit card company that MacMall credited back the charges for the first G5 we ordered and charged us in full for the second one we ordered. Since we haven't received it yet we decided to place a new order through Apple directly and deny the MacMall shippment. Our bank told us that they will fight MacMall on the charge if they want to contest it.

I'm just glad it was taken care of. It's been over a month now since we placed our initial order and we still don't have a computer to show for it. MacMall sucks ass!

Happy days are here again and the new system arrives tomorrow.
Razz

STILL

• Real Full Name: Wade Biery
  • I record and stand near stars onstage
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 04:09:20 PM »

If you're getting Apple stuff I have a great guy I've known for years who is excellent on music stuff and will help out on price as well....

Ask for DREW - tell him Wade sent you...

http://www.tdcurran.com/
800-645-2533

I get nothing from this, they're just good people I've worked with a lot and haven't had problems with, tho I HAVE had problems with Apple.....

djui5

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 02:41:26 AM »

Sounds to me like Apple got a run of bad mother boards....

Shit happens.....
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

weihfool

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 12:15:29 PM »

my day gig is customer service at JBL/Harman/Infinity so one of the things I deal with is the computer speaker systems.

I had a customer who was using Harman Soundsticks (USB connection) and he wasn't getting any sound out of his new G5.  He mentioned that everything worked fine till he installed a 256DIMM he had gotten in addition to the factory installed RAM.

After I asked him to remove it, he booted the system and the Soundsticks were working again.  He sent the RAM back to Apple and got a replacement and everything is working fine now.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 16 queries.